Xbox Series X | S

As an owner of both, I absolutely love my S, and would recommend it. 

My only concern might never come true, but I worry that when games start becoming more demanding and the X starts lowering target rez to cope, where does the S go?

As mentioned upthread, the way my X and S sync progress in games between them is magical. I suspect a lot will end up upgrading to an X, and I doubt they would lose much money selling it, but I suspect most of them will end up keeping the S for a second room. It's a perfect bedroom/WFH office console. I also think the storage size is fine. Stuff downloads so easily and quickly that it's very straight forward to switch up. I suspect if you are invested in a number of ballooning service games, you might feel differently though.

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

As an owner of both, I absolutely love my S, and would recommend it. 

My only concern might never come true, but I worry that when games start becoming more demanding and the X starts lowering target rez to cope, where does the S go?

Have you played The Medium? It's about 560p in places on Series S, where the X drops to 1080p. I honestly didn't notice. Looked fine to me.

4 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I wouldn't worry about it TBH. The processors are on the same architecture only thing that might change is the image quality and frame rate. Like on a PC there are plenty of tweaks that can be done to make games run. It will be years before the X starts to lower stuff to run in fact think games will be written to the architecture. Also PS5 has broadly the same processor. I expect we'll be good for at least 4-5 years. Or the next mid gen refresh. Wonder what MS will dream up for a name for that... :D   

6 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Just playing through Titanfall 2 again. It doesn’t seem to have the S/X logo but still looks incredible. Quite a lot better than Fallen Order in fact.

It really does. The fact they got that running 60 FPS last gen is incredible. 

8 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Just playing through Titanfall 2 again. It doesn’t seem to have the S/X logo but still looks incredible. Quite a lot better than Fallen Order in fact.

It uses dynamic scaling up to 6K on One X, so Series X can push that hard. 

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Randomly this was the first game I played on my Series X when I got it on launch day. Had started it on One X and picked up from where I left off (near the start) and ended up completing it that same evening. Fantastic game and so silky smooth to play.

Had a Series X ordered, then cancelled. I want one, but it's mainly for the Godlike backwards compatibility right now so half a grand's a little steep.

Craving one hard, but gotta save. Agh.

2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Had a Series X ordered, then cancelled. I want one, but it's mainly for the Godlike backwards compatibility right now so half a grand's a little steep.

Craving one hard, but gotta save. Agh.

Can you not plump for the deal that spreads the cost over the 2 years?  I wouldn't usually recommend getting credit, but for Gamepass Ultimate being included as well (if you have a PC) it's a good deal.  

11 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Can you not plump for the deal that spreads the cost over the 2 years?  I wouldn't usually recommend getting credit, but for Gamepass Ultimate being included as well (if you have a PC) it's a good deal.  

not when you can get game pass cheap in other ways though. 

Depends on your circumstances, £28.99 a month is a lot more palatable for some than paying £450+ outright, and my God is it worth it whichever way you choose. Deffo get one if you can @Kayin Amoh it will exceed all your expectations. 

I'm a bit sad, because my first thought was that the Santa Tracker would now work properly, because it targets the new IE6 Chromium like everyone else. One of our Christmas Eve traditions to leave on in the background :)

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Depends on your circumstances, £28.99 a month is a lot more palatable for some than paying £450+ outright, and my God is it worth it whichever way you choose. Deffo get one if you can @Kayin Amoh it will exceed all your expectations. 

Yeah, but that's why if your thinking of holding fire cos of the upfront cost then a fixed monthly cost (especially when COVID means your personal circumstances are easy to change) isn't always possible either.  

Hell sticking with your old xbox now, doing the GPU conversion trick, and saving is a lot cheaper in the long run than that finance option. I love my XSX, but this is the least essential launch line up ever.  Hell, at £30 a month, I  wouldn't be surprised if you could save up for an S before an exclusive Microsoft first party game is released. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Jesus Christ setting up a child’s profile on Xbox is impossible, I give up. 

Before the 'rona, I spent my entire xmas day (2018) trying to set up three children's accounts for my aunt.  It's a nightmare.

If I remember they've got to basically make microsoft accounts on the website. Then use those to register with xbox.com. Or something. I dunno.

It made friendcodes seem like magic.

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Jesus Christ setting up a child’s profile on Xbox is impossible, I give up. 

Best done from a web browser on a PC. Essentially you have to setup a Microsoft account and then add that account the the Xbox. The account will give access to One drive and all the Office 365 stuff too. MS want to own your data!!! :)

Also if you dig around on the MS Account website you can add their accounts to the family account which you can put all sorts of controls and monitors on. It's actually really useful.

Must admit its years since I did all this as I've had the accounts for years. I'd also make sure you use two factor authentication when setting up accounts too and link them to a authenticator app if you have one for best level of securing them.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S