IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Isn’t part of the reason why the Elites are so expensive because some horrible bunch of bastards have patented the concept of paddles or buttons on the back of controllers, and Microsoft have to pay for the privilege of using them? It’s why such an obvious feature isn’t on anybody’s standard controller this gen. 

41 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Isn’t part of the reason why the Elites are so expensive because some horrible bunch of bastards have patented the concept of paddles or buttons on the back of controllers, and Microsoft have to pay for the privilege of using them? It’s why such an obvious feature isn’t on anybody’s standard controller this gen. 

There is a patent but I seriously doubt the patent licensing costs is a major factor in the Elite's price (although it probably is a reason why the stock controller don't have it built-in).

This appears to be the relevant patent, set to expire in 2031: https://patents.google.com/patent/US8641525B2/en

The "horrible bunch of bastards" is SCUF (now owned by Corsair), who do manufacture controllers with paddles, so it's not as though it's nobody or a company trying to make a quick buck. Not a huge fan of patents in general but this is far from the most egregious example of their misuse.

40 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Not sure... Think the Steam controller has paddles in the back of the controller too and that was around £50 on release.

27 minutes ago, Halo said:

There is a patent but I seriously doubt the patent licensing costs is a major factor in the Elite's price (although it probably is a reason why the stock controller don't have it built-in).

This appears to be the relevant patent, set to expire in 2031: https://patents.google.com/patent/US8641525B2/en

The "horrible bunch of bastards" is SCUF (now owned by Corsair), who do manufacture controllers with paddles, so it's not as though it's nobody or a company trying to make a quick buck. Not a huge fan of patents in general but this is far from the most egregious example of their misuse.

Microsoft to buy Corsair confirmed

Been fiddling with my series X this weekend, and yes, it’s an absolutely awesome piece of machinery, the best console that MS have put out to date. 

It’s really, really fast...loading and the OS are lightning quick. Even though the PS5 has superior I/O on paper, I’m finding things to be much quicker with the XsX. 

The pad is also great, with the best d-pad on the go now! The Duel Sense D-pad is a bit mushy, and not quite as nice as the DS4. 

Im loving it, I’m loving have both machines this time out and wouldn’t have it differently 

@Kevvy Metal all of those things you mention is why I like the Xbox so much this generation. Without shitposting this time: the incredibly pleasant experience of using the console in itself is why I prefer playing new multiplatform titles and BC games on the XsX. It's all so quick and nice and convenient. I'm pinning playing list to my dash and I have removed everything that reeks of streaming or social gaming nonsense and it's perfect.

I'm still very happy to have both because the PS5 has plenty of unmissable goodness for me. (Not just the AAA stuff either, all the Ys and Trails games for example) But at least until the mid gen upgrades appear and Sony maybe manages to reverse the situation, the PS5 is strictly for the exclusives for me. 

1 minute ago, Crhis said:

Saw the Series S in regular stock on the shelves at my local Tesco earlier. 

Tempting, but the consensus is to hold out for the X, right?

The answer is going to be a very helpful: "Yeah, I'd wait" and "No, absolutely not, it's worth picking up". 

Depends what you're going to be using it for, how many other consoles you have, the value of Gamepass to you, your preference for physical or digital media and what your TV set up is like. 

I own and S. I got one because of the price point, because its small and I'll need to cart it back to the UK at some point. I am mainly digital now as I get all my PS4 stuff on the UK digital stores. I skipped the Xbox One so I have loads of titles I missed. I got the Gamepass offer so it was dirt cheap. I don't own a fancy TV. I have a Switch and PS4, with a view to my main being a PS5, and never even thought about getting a Series console until I saw the price point. 

So it's definitely worth getting a S. 

However, paradoxically, I've enjoyed my S and Gamepass so much, that I must admit, I do sort of think I should have just paid £200 more and got the bigger storage, slightly better performance and futueproofed for when I go back home and do get a 4K TV. I'm now much less interested in a PS5 (but curse you my D2-playing mates tying me to a PS5 upgrade) and will likely make the Xbox my main this gen. 

Really, it's probably going to be down to how much do you wab a Series console in general (and your budget). And if you can find an X. 

1 hour ago, Crhis said:

I really like my Series S. I use it on a 4K TV and it's brilliant. I haven't felt much need to upgrade. I may well do at some point, but all the core next gen stuff is there on Series S - fast as hell SSD, Quick Resume, CPU which allows 60fps modes on most Series S enhanced games, etc. I'm struggling to think of a big game which is 60fps on X and 30fps on S.

I do have a PS5 as well, but recently played Immortals: Fenyx Rising at 1080p60 on the Series S and wasn't bothered that I hadn't picked it up on PS5 for the full 4K60. The overall experience (60fps and SSD) matter more to me.

1 hour ago, Crhis said:

If I had a PS5 and wanted a console for a second TV that wasn’t 4k, I’d get the S.

Otherwise, get the Series X.

My son get an S earlier in the year and I was setting it up for him and having a tinker. It was equally as fast as my X in everything I tried. As mentioned though smaller capacity SSD and digital only. I'd have been more than happy just having the S after using the two if I'd have got one first. In fact coupled with GP I would have been more than happy.

Way to think of it is if you are happy at 1080p go for an S. 4K = X. The CPUs in them have the same amount of cores etc however S is clocked slightly lower. GPU side obviously has more power in the X. Long term you are future proofed a bit better with the X as its a bit more powerful.

I prefer black consoles myself though... but loved the form factor of the S. So compact and so quiet.

33 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d well go for and S as a secondary console for the bedroom, it’s nice having the full fat experience in the lounge though. I love the design of the S. 

If you do, it's also amazing how everything 'just works' between two Xboxes: save games and even your customized dash sync without you needing to do anything about it. 

Don't know how it is now on PS5 but on PS4 it was an unbelievable faff in comparison.

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d well go for and S as a secondary console for the bedroom, it’s nice having the full fat experience in the lounge though. I love the design of the S. 

Totally. If my Forza XB1 ever croaks (don't think it will, my 360 S shows no sign of going belly up) then I'd totally get an S to replace it in the bedroom. Even if the 1080p TV dies, no way I'm getting something big enough to make 4k worth bothering with in the bedroom.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If you do, it's also amazing how everything 'just works' between two Xboxes: save games and even your customized dash sync without you needing to do anything about it. 

Can confirm. Play Dead Cells on XSX, quit, fire up XB1, open Dead Cells, game syncs and off you go. It's absolute voodoo.

Only mild annoyance is that I don't have the exact same games on both, so the synced pins don't make sense. Maybe I need to remake the pins to be which games are on which machines, instead of "kids" and "dad's games".

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And on the PC too... play on Xbox move to PC.... all syncs and just works its great. Great when things like this just work... 

37 minutes ago, MattyP said:

And on the PC too... play on Xbox move to PC.... all syncs and just works its great. Great when things like this just work... 

Yes! And it seems like they're all little things, but they do add up. It's like, if you don't have an Xbox with Game Pass I totally see why the ease of use, the 'it just works' aspect doesn't seem like something you'd want to buy a console for. As in, that being the thing that convinces you to part with your money. But once you've experienced all of this on Series X/S (and on PC too as you point out), you would never want to go back. The experience of playing on the XSX in itself makes me think it's one of the most enjoyable consoles I've ever experienced. And, as many have already said, because of all these QOL improvements I do find myself completing more games than ever before and trying out a lot more. It's a wonderful console.

While I agree on the Xbox front, it's not all roses on the PC front with Microsoft. I've just built my new PC and turns out that I have to redownload EVERY single game from the Windows Store, it doesn't matter if I have a copy on the HDD. Steam can do it, Origin can do it, Ubisoft Connect can do it, even Epic Launcher can do it with some tinkering. Hell, the Xbox does it seamlessly, why this is different on Windows I don't know.

12 minutes ago, amorenod said:

While I agree on the Xbox front, it's not all roses on the PC front with Microsoft. I've just built my new PC and turns out that I have to redownload EVERY single game from the Windows Store, it doesn't matter if I have a copy on the HDD. Steam can do it, Origin can do it, Ubisoft Connect can do it, even Epic Launcher can do it with some tinkering. Hell, the Xbox does it seamlessly, why this is different on Windows I don't know.

Ah Xbox does some weird stuff storing the store content in a protected folder. Its really odd. I had a few issues years ago when trying to move things around and the Xbox app got really confused. I'm guessing it is more closely integrated with the OS install than the other game clients hence the issues when building a new PC. Lets face it it's not everyday you re-build a PC. Not making excuses for MS but when I rebuild my PC I tend to reinstall everything apps etc to get a clean install. 

29 minutes ago, amorenod said:

Yes, this is the dumbest thing and something I'm hoping the MS games coming to steam might fix.

Putting this here too: - EDIT - gone to @Kryptonian

Edit 2: Kryptonian already has it too so still available lol.

Edit 3: Gone again. Or is it.....

50 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

So funny story. I bought a code for Red Dead Redemption to play on my Series S and when I went to redeem it I was told I already own it... :blush:

So let my stupidity be of benefit to someone here. First regular poster to PM gets it.

5 minutes ago, QuackQuack said:

I must have been in a little Nintendo bubble - so many things have “seasons" now. I’m not sure if it’s smart, annoying, or both.

It's mostly live service games which I don't play anyway. From the outside looking in it makes playing games feel like a job where you have to accomplish X in a set amount of time before the season ends. Which is of course intentional if you want players to keep playing your game instead of moving on to something else.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S