Xbox Series X | S

Have they fixed quick resume? I thought I saw Brad Sams mention it was coming in the December fix, but that didn't fix it. The patch notes for the January update, which mine grabbed on the 26th, only talks about stuff I thought came in December (e.g., games marked X|S optimized, etc.). 

Basically, I've been quitting games when I'm done because most aren't recovering gracefully from quick resume. 

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Oh never really noticed it when playing through Mario Odyssey. Its not the strongest of rumbles... probably to conserve battery life I guess.

The only game that I can recall experiencing a meaningful HD rumble was 1-2 Switch. The minigame where you had to guess how many ball bearings were inside the box by rocking the joy cons back and forward was very cool.

With the amount of attention Astro's Playroom got, and how well that game publicised the Dual Sense, Nintendo's decision not to pack 1-2 Switch in with the system feels like a mistake more than ever. 

6 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Have they fixed quick resume? I thought I saw Brad Sams mention it was coming in the December fix, but that didn't fix it. The patch notes for the January update, which mine grabbed on the 26th, only talks about stuff I thought came in December (e.g., games marked X|S optimized, etc.). 

Basically, I've been quitting games when I'm done because most aren't recovering gracefully from quick resume. 

I didn't think Quick Resume is broken?  Some games can't do it (any that connect to a server for online functionality) and some (like The Medium) don't do it, presumably because the game is bugged.  Yakuza Zero, which I'm playing now, works every time. 

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

I didn't think Quick Resume is broken?  Some games can't do it (any that connect to a server for online functionality) and some (like The Medium) don't do it, presumably because the game is bugged.  Yakuza Zero, which I'm playing now, works every time. 

It seemed to work on The Medium for me. Console powered down though so perhaps QR is different to sleep mode or something. But I switched the Xbox back on and went back to the game and I was right were I left off. Odd. Thought it would be using QR to do this.

I always try to save before turning off the X. That way, whenever Quick Resume does work it's a nice and welcome surprise. For some games it works fine, others work 9 times out of 10 (Like A Dragon), and others not at all (Legion)

30 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Works on pretty much everything as far as I can tell. If it's something online then you'll lose connection and have to reconnect but other than that, it seems to work on everything I play.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I always try to save before turning off the X. That way, whenever Quick Resume does work it's a nice and welcome surprise. For some games it works fine, others work 9 times out of 10 (Like A Dragon), and others not at all (Legion)

True. I'd never use quick resume as a replacement for saving, nor do I think that's what's intended.

11 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Works on pretty much everything as far as I can tell. If it's something online then you'll lose connection and have to reconnect but other than that, it seems to work on everything I play.

Likewise. Only time I have a slight quirk is when playing Little Nightmares. It would resume fine but the next time I died it would just hang when trying to reload the checkpoint. It is an older game though however it was a recent Gold addition so surprised they didn't do more testing before pushing it out as a Gold game. Perhaps it was something particular to my system though not sure. Just made sure I quit out of the game after I finished a session with it. All other games though have been fine.

Its a really odd thing at times as I used to do other things whilst waiting for a game to boot at times... check my phone etc. Especially on games like Forza Horizon 4 and now it boots stuff so quick I'm not hanging around anymore....

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

True. I'd never use quick resume as a replacement for saving, nor do I think that's what's intended.

Perhaps I'm not remembering simple standby mode on the XB1 correctly, but I thought I could sleep the machine and continue later, not unlike doing similar on the Switch? Was it pure luck I had games auto saving as I went, then? As, aside from connections in online games getting interrupted, I had no issues picking up where I left off. I've lost hours of progress multiple times in quick resume (Jedi Fallen Order, Destiny 2), and assumed it to be defective. edit - Actually, Jedi Fallen Order pissed me off so much I stopped caring, but losing progress on Destiny was annoying. I don't know how to save on an always-online game, and it wasn't obvious where I return to in order for it to recognize I can safely quit.,

Having said that, I've had games just crash completely coming back from quick resume, so saved progress aside, it was flaky, for some games, at some point. Alas, I barely get to use the machine so not sure if it improved since the Jan patch. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Personal taste, I prefer the XSX controller and it's not even close. It's just way more ergonomical for me. The DualSense is by far Sony's best controller yet, don't get me wrong, but the Xbox controller is still leagues ahead for me. Of course, I'm a specific case - having arthritic hands means I always turn off rumble and that ergonomics are the main factor.

I'm glad the new shape is better for accessibility, but I hate the texture of the bog standard Series pads. The mottled textured kinda sets me off, it's hard to describe. Like nails on a blackboard. Much prefer the flat texture of the old pads. Although, nothing beats the rubber-backed Forza 6 edition XB1 pad I have, I'm going to be really sad if/when that breaks.

The Medium is the first game I've encountered where it's a complete lottery whether quick resume works or not or, occasionally, appears to work then the game crashes anyway. Everything else I've played seems to work fine except things that lose their online connection.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

The Medium is the first game I've encountered where it's a complete lottery whether quick resume works or not or, occasionally, appears to work then the game crashes anyway. Everything else I've played seems to work fine except things that lose their online connection.

It's not just The Medium, but there tends to be games that just don't cope well with things like controller disconnects, game suspends, and profile sign outs. For me, QR works but the game sometimes doesn't like me rejoining. Despite only having one profile and one controller, and still being on that one profile and one controller, The Medium signs me out and I have to load a save. This game does not appear to save often. 

QR is very spotty for me. I don’t think I’ve had a single game which has worked with it 100% of the time. Hitman 1 seems to be pretty good, but now and then I have no audio on resuming. 

The Medium has not worked once in the 5 times I’ve tried to resume it. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/12/09/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-skip-ahead-2102-201207-0000/

So some sort of fix for Quick Resume went to insiders in December, I just don't know if that went into prod for everyone else in January.

edit - no, I would say not, looking at the release notes here https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/settings-updates/whats-new-xbox-one-system-updates and the known issues list.

They don't say what titles they have turned off QR for, but that wasn't my issue. Destiny 2 did quick resume, I just lost loads of progress. I'm just going to continue quitting games until this is fixed, everything loads in a few seconds these days anyway.

I mean, we've got PC performance. We're starting to get PC-esque graphic options. Why not have the instability of PC games on a fixed spec platform, too. At least "have you tried turning it on and off again?" still holds true.

25 minutes ago, hereticboy said:

Anyone know whether Quick Resume does or doesn't work for some people or everybody all or none of the time?

What's quick Resume and is it on gamepass? 

I get the sense that it's something we've talked about before, like the Panasonic rechargeable batteries, but if you skip a megathread for 3 months and then comment on it you sound like a bit of a twerp to the regulars.

I will take my hump about declining software QA from Microsoft to the appropriate screaming into the void venue.

10 minutes ago, KRP said:

QR has been useless for me. It's so patchy that I would just prefer having the standard one game resume function. 

That's still in there. If you put the XSX in standby, it works exactly like the Bone. Even with Watch Dogs Legion.

3 hours ago, Halo said:

Given how much Microsoft loves releasing new controllers (they released 3 major controller revisions last gen, plus two elites, and tons of colour variations), I think it’s only a matter of time until they release one akin to the DualSense.

What were the 3 major controller revisions?

4 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Does the Pro Controller have the fancy rumble? That's what I have, but I honestly don't know if I've played anything with that feature.

EDIT: yes it does.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/11396097.html

EDIT: 

Apparently Mario Odyssey (which I have played) has it:

https://www.thegamer.com/best-nintendo-switch-games-using-hd-rumble/#:~:text= 10 Best Games That Actually Utilize The,and Ubisoft surprised quite a few... More

So the fancy rumble in the switch, is apparently made by the same third party that Sony used for the DualSense, but it's very much a generational leap. It's not quite a SNES to N64 leap, but its more than a NES to SNES leap. As rubbish as speakers in controllers have been the addition to the rumble works brilliantly at selling the illusion.

Don't think so. Original, sans headphone socket. Newer one with. Then the bluetooth model with the One S. Then what we've got now with an extra button. I've never used an Elite to know where it falls into this.