Xbox Series X | S

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Whatcha gonna play first ?

Not sure. Probably Fallen Order which I've never played. Otherwise Reach or Half Life 2 and I'll see what Horizon 4 is like.

I now have it in my paws and I'm ridiculously excited. It's quite a lovely thing and beautifully packaged. I was really underwhelmed when I unpacked my XBox One many years ago, but not this time. 

At Argos I did get slightly concerned when I gave the assistant my order and collection number and she said, "oh yes, the XBox One". 

Hmmm, has anyone booted up their Xbox today / gone onto Game Pass on PC and noticed that their profile picture has changed??

Mine used to be this (a mug shot taken from when you used to create Avtars way back on the 360):

IMG_1348.jpg.3730fa3c3abe27f080bb7107084eedab.jpg

But I booted up my Series X this morning to check out some stuff / draw my noisy HDD woes to a conclusion and it's changed (also on PC Game Pass) to this:

IMG_1349.thumb.jpg.fc73b60cf270511c54a5bada27d2bc42.jpg

Have they perhaps booted the old ones / just given us a random pic (seems unlikely) or do I need to be changing my password?? 

@womble9 I meant to post this reply yesterday in response to your noisy HDD woes. Now, this may sound nuts, but if my little polystyrene feet hadn't helped in my case then I was going to do the following. I was going to get a 3D printer and print a frame with hooks so that I could attach several elastic bands and suspend my HDD on them to deaden vibration. I was also going to buy some sound proofing stuff that people stick on walls and use double sided sticky tape to stick some to the outside of the HDD to see if that stuff worked "in reverse" so to speak. It might sound a little crackers but my main set up is in the bedroom and the noise was driving me up the wall at night. 

edit: just booted up my Xbox and also the Xbox app and my avatar is still the same. 

@SteveH Thanks for checking your Avatar. I've gone and changed my password as the pic that was now representing me wasn't even on the list of ones that MS offers so god only knows how I've ended up with it :ph34r:. Checked my account though and no credit has gone missing / there haven't been any purchases made so that's good but it's still rather odd?!? 

Re your HD suspension method, it's not nuts at all, indeed it's something I too considered doing (that said I'm likely nuts so maybe that's both of us eh :)) by feeding elastic cargo net cords or rubber bands through the upper vents and then suspending it from the metal spars that support glass shelf above it. Alas it was clear straightaway (just by suspending it in my hands) that as much as I can isolate the vibrations from traveling into and reverberating through my shelf (which the sponges had done a great job of) it's still in essence a loud as fook HD with quite a repertoire of tones.  I'm pretty darn sure that failing encasing it in something very dense (concrete perhaps!) there was no way I was going to be able to get it down to a level (just that of a regular HD would've been fine) that I was happy with.

I even "Mother in Lawed" it with me first knelling on the cushions and then popped the sofa on top yet still I could hear the bastard things muffled cries for attention!!

IMG_1323.thumb.jpg.c11a218cbd6b247aff167b46b5c8d913.jpg

Game over, it's off back to where it came from :bye:

I'm using a Series X and mostly use disc based games for AAA titles.

Yesterday I played Yakuza from disc for 4 hours.

Today I installed Hitman III from disc (well, you know...). Played from disc for an hour.

I quick resumed Yakuza without changing discs - it has so far let me play for 90 mins without asking for the correct disc to be inserted.

Vodoo.

8 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

I quick resumed Yakuza without changing discs - it has so far let me play for 90 mins without asking for the correct disc to be inserted.

Interesting, I guess it's an unintended consequence of Quick Resume in that the disc check for a game is probably only done when you first load it. Quick Resuming it from a snapshot probably just assumes you're still good to go. I hope they keep that feature actually, it's a nice QoL change if people don't have to constantly swap discs.

25 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

I'm using a Series X and mostly use disc based games for AAA titles.

Yesterday I played Yakuza from disc for 4 hours.

Today I installed Hitman III from disc (well, you know...). Played from disc for an hour.

Vodoo.

Do you have Game Pass?

Quick resume is still hit and miss for me. If the game has any persistent online functionality it usually shits the bed in some manner. Call of Duty kicks you back to the splash screen then locks up, Immortals Fenyx Rising makes the daily tasks disappear. Shit like that.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Quick resume is still hit and miss for me. If the game has any persistent online functionality it usually shits the bed in some manner. Call of Duty kicks you back to the splash screen then locks up, Immortals Fenyx Rising makes the daily tasks disappear. Shit like that.

It doesn't maintain any connection to a server in the background, don't expect that to change.

Hopefully game devs start to keep this in mind as its really irritating with some games eg. Hitman, even though its single player.

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Strangely, I've found it works well with Hitman (3) despite the server issues at launch week - it loads up back to where you were, reconnects and away you go.

Just now, Kryptonian said:

Strangely, I've found it works well with Hitman (3) despite the server issues at launch week - it loads up back to where you were, reconnects and away you go.

It lets me keep playing, but it doesn't record my progress after the mission is complete unless it decides it can get reconnected to the server. Its definitely a game problem rather than a console problem.

1 minute ago, Wallace said:

It lets me keep playing, but it doesn't record my progress after the mission is complete unless it decides it can get reconnected to the server. Its definitely a game problem rather than a console problem.

That's interesting as mine reconnects straight away after it loads up, I might just have been lucky though as I know it fucks up on other games.

Quick Resume has worked flawlessly for me on Hitman 3 also which surprised me as it's essentially always online despite being single-player. Hitman 2 always failed Quick Resume for me.

I find QR fails on the most random games. It failed on Day of The Tentacle of all things the other week. I can't imagine why.

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

Quick Resume has worked flawlessly for me on Hitman 3 also which surprised me as it's essentially always online despite being single-player. Hitman 2 always failed Quick Resume for me.

I find QR fails on the most random games. It failed on Day of The Tentacle of all things the other week. I can't imagine why.

Suppose it depends on how QR is implemented in terms of whether software has the to be tweaked to make use of it or its purely an OS thing. 

First issue I've had with it was with Little Nightmares. It QRed fine but then soon as I died it crashed in a loop trying to reload the checkpoint.

My guess is games going forward will be fine as will games that MS have updated for the new consoles however older games maybe a bit hit and miss. 

It doesn't really bother me hugely but if the feature is there if would be nice if it was more stable I guess. Just having a SSD in there is great TBH as it cuts loading times way down. 

having sold my launch series x on here I've decided to get another as I'm getting a small bonus this week and I'm a sad case

ive just maxed gamepass and will use it mainly for that 

is it worth getting series x over s if its for gamepass 

is there any news on them coming back into stock ?

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

It doesn't maintain any connection to a server in the background, don't expect that to change.

Hopefully game devs start to keep this in mind as its really irritating with some games eg. Hitman, even though its single player.

Oh I'm not. It's entirely expected, but also makes Quick Resume entirely fucking useless given my gaming habits.

1 hour ago, denisb said:

having sold my launch series x on here I've decided to get another as I'm getting a small bonus this week and I'm a sad case

Well I have an X and my Son has just got an S recently and had a bit of time messing with it.

My take is depending how you play games and whether you are fussed about 4K or not the S is a fantastic machine. If you need lots of games on tap and need extra storage the X is probably a better deal.

If I'd have bought an S I would have been more than happy with it. Lovely form factor quiet and fast. Great little console and £200 cheaper than the X. The only slight issue is that if you have old Xbox One game disks you want to continue to use. However with GamePass this is a no brainer.

As to finding them in stock both easier that the PS5! X is usually a bit harder to find than the S. 

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Interesting, it doesn’t work for me at all. First time the game locked up, second two times none of the content loaded in the game menus. Wonder why it behaves differently for different people?

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Are developers just not bothering to support Quick Resume properly but also not opting out of it?

I think it's a bit of both but really neither.

Given the way it works means anything online is always going to be at least partially fucked up by it. It obviously cannot resume a firefight or lobby you were in three days ago.

Many games I suspect are just a little brittle if they have online functionality in the background. You'd expect most to cope because they will always have to deal with blips in internet connections.

From the games perspective QR is exactly the same as standby/resume. At some point before I was running, and now I am again.

I'm sure we'll see at least slightly better integration over time but I suspect it'll always be a little flakey if a game has any communication to a server.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Interesting, it doesn’t work for me at all. First time the game locked up, second two times none of the content loaded in the game menus. Wonder why it behaves differently for different people?

At a guess... Internet performance characteristics. If the game is always online behind the scenes and it cannot resume it's internet session, or takes too long to respond during resume then it gets screwed up.

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

At a guess... Internet performance characteristics. If the game is always online behind the scenes and it cannot resume it's internet session, or takes too long to respond during resume then it gets screwed up.

The game copes gracefully if you get disconnected mid-session though. In fact it happens all the time!

Just now, Pob said:

The game copes gracefully if you get disconnected mid-session though. In fact it happens all the time!

Oh yeah, don't doubt it. But some timing issue between two systems would need to be in effect. And it strikes me that net performance seems the only likely differential (assuming both players are on the same hardware model and running the game from the same source, i.e. internal SSD).

1 hour ago, denisb said:

The X's come in stock for minutes at time, but the S's last for an hour so so. There's a twitch stream that warns when they become available.

My experiences with QR so far have been pretty solid. Only games I have had issues with were Immortals and Odyssey, both Ubi games and both requiring some kind of background connection to Ubi servers. In the case of Immortals I believe it was genuinely f'ing up Saves so I manually quit the game after every session.

Everything else has been fine. Been kicking between Skyrim, Yakuza 0 and Tony Hawks 1&2 (weird selection I know) and its fine. I always make sure to manually save just before switching off though, just in case!