Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


djbhammer
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

 

Or they just don't care. I suspect it's just automated scanning into a system and put as in stock. Not someone waiting to release them at 5am. All money to them and the practice isn't loosing them any customers long term.

 

Maybe, and to be fair, Currys were the open who somehow managed to piss off 1 in 20 customers into never shopping with them again, scalpers won't ever go through their CS so it'll actually make their numbers better.

 

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:


I’m sure Curry’s and other retailers would prefer normal customers, they’re more likely to make other/repeat/future purchases and to be fair that’s a reasonable time, normally, for stock to refresh for the next day.

 

Shops need a pre-order system where they can verify the customers, I think I saw something from ShopTo recently where they were doing that.

 

They did, briefly, the consoles were entirely missing from their site when I checked yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

I notice that you can register your interest with BASE.com for XBOX Series X (£0.01 for card check probably). My son got a PS5 from them a couple of weeks before launch, he’d missed the first tranche of pre-orders but they notified him about a second. It was a straightforward case of logging in and paying. I imagine there’s a bit of a queue but maybe worth trying for someone.

 

Ta, can't hurt to try it, likely I'll probably forget about it until their email so they'll have just sold 2 consoles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone else find the auto update (AKA keep my games and apps up to date option) doesn't seem to be working?

 

Just fired up my series X and saw that it started downloading an update. Went into a list of the updates and saw that this little lot were all stacked up...

 

IMG_1412.thumb.jpg.250b5ffb07134d5d152f7127e64df9ab.jpg  

 

Furthermore (though not a big deal, just a bit odd) with Gears for example it shows it as being an 89.2GB (wow!) update yet when it set about doing it showed it as being 91.1...

 

IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.225ee860d1f11344bad0b26970457a6a.jpg

 

?!?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Does anyone else find the auto update (AKA keep my games and apps up to date option) doesn't seem to be working?

 

Just fired up my series X and saw that it started downloading an update. Went into a list of the updates and saw that this little lot were all stacked up...

 

IMG_1412.thumb.jpg.250b5ffb07134d5d152f7127e64df9ab.jpg  

 

Furthermore (though not a big deal, just a bit odd) with Gears for example it shows it as being an 89.2GB (wow!) update yet when it set about doing it showed it as being 91.1...

 

IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.225ee860d1f11344bad0b26970457a6a.jpg

 

?!?!


 

yep, it complete ignores them for me too most of the time , yes I’ve switched all the right things on.

 

it’s especially annoying when your home internet is of the “5gb an hour” variety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Dudley said:


 

yep, it complete ignores them for me too most of the time , yes I’ve switched all the right things on.

 

it’s especially annoying when your home internet is of the “5gb an hour” variety.

 

Yeah I can imagine that if you've not go too speedy a connection that it would be pretty annoying.

 

Have just found a Reddit thread where a couple of people are saying it only Auto updates games that have been played in the last 30 days. Not sure if it's 100&% right but that would certainly apply to the games that needed updating for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

 

Have just found a Reddit thread where a couple of people are saying it only Auto updates games that have been played in the last 30 days. Not sure if it's 100&% right but that would certainly apply to the games that needed updating for me.  

 

It would account for some but if so it had one huge hole.  I put in Hitman 3 for the first time when it arrived at noon so it could do its thing.

 

Went it play it at 6pm, hit start, told me there was a 15gb update.  Yes I hadn't played it in the last 30 days but you'd think when first installing a game it might want to check for updates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone had their system just randomly shut off? Happened there with my series x in the middle of an intense destiny 2 public event. There's nothing anywhere near the console, temperatures and everything seem fine, it's weird. I'll keep an eye in case it happens again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Has anyone had their system just randomly shut off? Happened there with my series x in the middle of an intense destiny 2 public event. There's nothing anywhere near the console, temperatures and everything seem fine, it's weird. I'll keep an eye in case it happens again. 

 Could have just been a game bug? The console usually gives you an error message when you boot it back up if it shut down due to overheating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yeah it must have been a Destiny bug, there was no message or anything. Either that or I somehow bumped the plug enough to turn it off :lol:


Where you playing as a Titan? These consoles have amazing AI so maybe it was like, fucking Titan player.... I’d switch off!

 

(when COD was problematic it would just crash and power off with no error or explanation when you powered the machine back on)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick Resume is really coming into its own for me now that PES 2021 is on Game Pass. I've found myself playing a Master League match or two - or sometimes even just a half - in and around other games like Doom Eternal.

 

It's so simple yet handy that I'd even consider buying PES 2022 on the Xbox just to take advantage of it, even though it almost certainly won't support custom (and therefore licence-bypassing) kits and edits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Quick Resume is really coming into its own for me now that PES 2021 is on Game Pass. I've found myself playing a Master League match or two - or sometimes even just a half - in and around other games like Doom Eternal.

 

It's so simple yet handy that I'd even consider buying PES 2022 on the Xbox just to take advantage of it, even though it almost certainly won't support custom (and therefore licence-bypassing) kits and edits. 

I'm going to have to give that a go. It's about the only game that QR wasn't working for me, so I assume it just didn't work for anyone. 

(it's also the only game that I'd really make the most use out of it too!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's gone be a struggle to chose the platform for games now. The PS5 controller is so much better, but quick resume and the ability to seamlessly shift between different consoles is so bloody good. I really hope MS nick the idea for a third edition elite controller - I would buy it day 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

It's gone be a struggle to chose the platform for games now. The PS5 controller is so much better, but quick resume and the ability to seamlessly shift between different consoles is so bloody good. I really hope MS nick the idea for a third edition elite controller - I would buy it day 1.

Personal taste, I prefer the XSX controller and it's not even close. It's just way more ergonomical for me. The DualSense is by far Sony's best controller yet, don't get me wrong, but the Xbox controller is still leagues ahead for me. Of course, I'm a specific case - having arthritic hands means I always turn off rumble and that ergonomics are the main factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The PS5 controller is so much better


Out of interest, for you, is that because of the haptics and adaptive triggers or the design itself? 
 

Because I’ve still not heard of anything the Dual Sense functionality adds massively to outside of Astro’s playroom. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Microsoft don't steal the adaptive triggers, frankly. Considering how often you use triggers in most games, anything that makes them harder than absolutely necessary to press is a total turn-off for me. They were neat in Astrobot but in a 40 hour game, no thanks. And you already have people turning the adaptive triggers off in anything competitive because anything that adds additional time to trigger an action puts you at a disadvantage.

 

Wouldn't mind them including the better haptic feedback though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Personal taste, I prefer the XSX controller and it's not even close. It's just way more ergonomical for me. The DualSense is by far Sony's best controller yet, don't get me wrong, but the Xbox controller is still leagues ahead for me. Of course, I'm a specific case - having arthritic hands means I always turn off rumble and that ergonomics are the main factor.

 Pretty much my case as well really. Not arthritis, but a badly damaged left arm/tendons in my left hand. The stretch for the left thumb stick is really uncomfortable and that force feedback in the triggers is too much for my left hand. It becomes tiring very quickly so I have resorted to switching it off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

29 minutes ago, Yiggy said:


Out of interest, for you, is that because of the haptics and adaptive triggers or the design itself? 
 

Because I’ve still not heard of anything the Dual Sense functionality adds massively to outside of Astro’s playroom. 

 

The design itself is the best Sony have ever done (which is a statement worthy of the damning with faint praise thread), I think it's really, bloody good. But the design of the Xbox controller is ace as well. 

 

The haptics are fantastic. It's still early days for them sure, but I bought CoD on PS5 rather than X because of it. When using a sniper rifle, the trigger is stiff and tight, for the first mm or so, then suddenly 'pops'. An MP5, is light to press, but then bucks wildly. A rifle with burst fire has a really rhythmic  thunk-thunk-thunk.

 

 It's really immersive, it's not tiring, and I'm not even sure I buy the 'you'll be less competitive online' stuff. It gives a certain situational awareness. And for a sniper I feel I could hold the trigger right at the snap point. I'm sure in racing games they'll communicate so much more info too. But none of that matters 'cos it's just so much fun.

 

In Demon Souls (which doesn't really use the triggers) I can tell when specific monsters show up based on how the pad behaves. 

 

I love my X, but I feel a lot of people are dismissive of the haptics  as they don't have it (or have only used Nintendos far, far, far, far worse version). As soon as Microsoft steal it, it'll become a standard. I'm convinced it'll be introduced by an Elite V3 this gen, and standard by the mid-gen refresh.

 

(Obviously accessibility is a huge factor in choice, but all else being equal)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love see see haptic feedback on the Xbox controller. It would add another dimension although as with all "bolt on" things it wouldn't probably get used that much - but I guess third parties could write it into games so it would work with both PS5 and a Xbox controller if it was available.

 

Not sure if it will ultimately end up as a gimmick though. I'd love to try it and is probably the only reason that I would want a PS5 right now is to try it with Astrobot. Love advancements in tech and things that potentially give you a more immersive experience. Having been playing the Wii recently again quite like the little speaker in it and when done well the "waggle" controls. 

 

While MS are sticking to the tried and tested approach this gen it kind of does make sense a bit as it works. They did put rumble in the triggers on the Xbox One and this wasn't really used (and still isn't that much). Odd racing game from memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The haptic triggers work great with Ride 4 and MXGP 2020, when braking you get a bite point half way through the trigger pull, which is just before you lock up. It works really well and I presume will be implemented on many driving games going forward.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, I did play Astrobot with rumble on because that seemed like the point, arthritis be damned. But while it's very good, I didn't find it that mind blowing in terms of immersion. It was more like "oh yeah this is supposed to feel like sand blowing around the controller and it kinda does now that I focus on it". Certainly not the game changer all the overhyping journos described (the same ones who also promised my PS5 would be silent), but it certainly is way better rumble than before. Worth having just for that.

 

I turned it off halfway through Astrobot and the game was just as much fun without it. Amazing little feel good platformer.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I personally will not be buying a "new and improved" controller for squeezy triggers and fancy rumble should Microsoft make it available.

 

I know the Switch has the clever rumble, but in the years that system has been out how many games make use of it that would make you buy a new controller for access to that feature? 

 

I think Sony were smart to include headline grabbing differentiation points, but I don't see there being much of an actual use case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.