Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

29 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Fuckstix! 

MS already replaced my first Series X because of the controller bug, now it’s developed a huge graphical glitch that nothing will fix (multiple reboots/TVs etc).. present for all games and apps. :seanr:

5EE9431C-9ACF-432F-B581-6E7A59335824.gif

That sucks, assume you’ve tried a different hdmi lead and slot? Clutching at straws for you as assume is broken :(

Your pic looks like you have it hooked up to an old Sony 32” CRT at first glance!

20 hours ago, womble9 said:

Gentlemen, I feel your pain :facepalm:.

Spoiler

I too bought an external, it being a mahoosive 12TB WD fella that popped up in the BF sales for a very reasonable £185. In the reviews of it some people did mention the noise but I didn't expect it to be any worse than my Seagate backup plus (that I'd used for a couple of years with my One X) which itself made the odd buzz, click / whir / "hey I'm busy here" noise, none of which were particularly loud and as such didn't bother me one bit.

The WD though....wow! Just like, WTF is going on there!! It was sat at the back of my gaming tower of power but straight away when I gave my Series X its first ever boot up (in turn kicking the WD into life) I was like whoa, that's bloody loud!?! I straight away recognised the sound as being that of a HDD and thought at first I was maybe just picking the sound out as I was concentrating on the new set up, but no it was demented rodent trying to get eat it's way out of a mahogany box loud to the point where within 10min's of wonderment I'd decided it was either getting sorted or getting sent back, the latter of which I didn't really want to have to do.

Aaaanyway long story (who me?!?) cut short I was aware that there were likely big improvements to be made placement wise alone as it sits upon a plastic clip on base (it has two very thin rubber strips on it's bottom, I suspect to stop it sliding as opposed to quieten things down) which itself is a little loose so perhaps makes some noise, but more so is then sat on a glass shelf supported by metal bars. It's almost as if I've tried to create a HDD powered instrument!! Straight away when I popped in onto its side and sat it on top of a sponge Dyson vac filter the improvement was massive though being the fiddler that I am I'm pretty sure I can make things better still. I'm also bored with a gazillion hrs to myself so why not have a mess about and just this morning nipped into the garage and dug out some sound suppression equipment (read squidgy elasticy spongy stuff that's as whos manufactured purposes are as far away from sound suppression when used as intended as a jumbo jet is) and after work I WILL sort it out and we WILL live together in a blissfully quiet front room HDD harmony. 

Place yer bets..

IMG_1300.thumb.jpg.6c83b45a678d0bffe33f531f1399ad39.jpg

So, a quick update.

I fannied around for a couple of hours (yes it really is that annoying to me that it warranted such effort!) trying different bits and pieces and in the end settled on laying it flat on a couple of the big (yellow and white) sponge scouring block thingies. They offered it decent stability whilst also being soft enough that they should absorb / stop any vibes getting through to the glass shelf which they seemed (going by the glass no longer vibrating,yes you could actually feel it before) to be doing a great job of. A 50P fix...or so I thought! So, the bad news is that it's still bloody noisy (to the point of it really getting on my nerves) so I'm guessing the noise is mainly related to case that the drive is mounted it. Amazon have been spot on offerenig a refund (not an exchange as it was a warehouse item) and have said they're happy to extend the return period by another month to give me time to see if I can relocate / love with it. Half tempted to return it and go with a new spare 6TB Seagate that's currently having my One X stuff transferred across but guess I might as well see if a longer USB cable and a relocation might do the job first.

Fingers crossed and if anyone has any shut the HDD drive up ideas then feel free to chip in :).   

4 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Fuckstix! 

MS already replaced my first Series X because of the controller bug, now it’s developed a huge graphical glitch that nothing will fix (multiple reboots/TVs etc).. present for all games and apps. :seanr:

I often run into a similar issue with my Series X, albeit with a vertical 'tear', on my monitor. It's related to FreeSync and can be remedied by either toggling VRR off and on in the Xbox's display settings or switching to another display source on my monitor.

I'd suggest poking around any TV menus regarding Variable Refresh Rate to see what options you have, or at least turning the function off on your Xbox and seeing if that makes any difference.

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

How do I kill a game so that it reboots properly? If I had an issue I don’t want quick resume nonsense perpetuating said issue.

On the home screen hover over the game tile of the game you want to quit, hit the menu button (the three  lines one) and select quit from the menu that pops up.

7 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

How do I kill a game so that it reboots properly? If I had an issue I don’t want quick resume nonsense perpetuating said issue.

Quick press of the home button should bring up a menu on the LH side of the screen showing recent things you've run / what ever you were just using when you pressed home. Scroll down to the app / game that you want to quite and press the three dashes button and it'll give you options to do a few things the bottom one being "quit" :)

31 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Quick press of the home button should bring up a menu on the LH side of the screen showing recent things you've run / what ever you were just using when you pressed home. Scroll down to the app / game that you want to quite and press the three dashes button and it'll give you options to do a few things the bottom one being "quit" :)

Which is the “Home” button?

15 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Which is the “Home” button?

The big illuminated one (with an X in it) top center of the pad.

Pressing it in game / app should give you this:

IMG_1329.thumb.jpg.d8bd53fa6f8a586630fb1dea94624429.jpg

From there scroll down to the game / app that you're wanting to tinker with:

IMG_1331.thumb.jpg.b575571ab7820afae457595879c0888e.jpg

and press the start button (three dashes / lines RH side bellow the home button) which should give you these options:

IMG_1330.thumb.jpg.8576ffef5fa325443d2e4be3c2aee9a7.jpg

:).

9 minutes ago, amorenod said:

Since we're talking about menus, I've noticed something that wasn't there in the One X. After pressing Start, a lot of the menus are blurry for a brief instant, then are fine. I've tried in 4k and 1080p, same problem. Any ideas?

TIA

It was definitely there on the One X as well. It's to do with them using a zoom animation I think.

I've just done the xbox live gold 3 year stacking then converted to GamePass for £1.

Current expiry date is 3/19/2024. :D

I redeemed my first xbox live gold subscription on the 19th December so it looks like I got the extra 3 months free.

It is a sobering site to think that I've got just over 3 years to go. 

I've turned off recurring billing too.

I did it because even though I didn't really use GamePass much in the past, I got wind that Microsoft may be stopping the stacking and conversion at the end of the month.

Is anyone else having audio issues in certain games when using headphones? Watch dogs legion seems the worst offender constant stuttering and cracklings - I can’t play that without major issues however it’s absolutely fine on my old Xbox one pad (I’d use if it didn’t have stock drift) and is fine on the TV but it’s not something I want blaring when the kid is in bed. 

12 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Is anyone else having audio issues in certain games when using headphones? Watch dogs legion seems the worst offender constant stuttering and cracklings - I can’t play that without major issues however it’s absolutely fine on my old Xbox one pad (I’d use if it didn’t have stock drift) and is fine on the TV but it’s not something I want blaring when the kid is in bed. 

Forza Horizon 4 and my Turtle Beach Stealth 700's suffer from this. It makes being in a party and playing the game intolerable when the party starts botting. Really annoying as its the only game I regularly play with folks. 

It’s only in this one game and I can boot up something like AC Valhalla and the issue goes away. I can also stop it by chucking in my faulty xbone pad. Might just see if i can live with the stick drift on the old pad for now (or open it up and try and fix it)

Quick question for Halo fans with the new consoles. I bought a hard copy of master chief collection on/ near release back in the day and I seem to remember I had ODST and possibly Reach included.

Last night I downloaded the Game Pass version of MCC & Microsoft want me to pay for them both as DLC. If I was to delete the game pass version, then install my older hard copy, would it then allow access to both games free (as I believe was the case on the Xbox one previously?)