Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Parksey said:

Quick Resume and how it seems to work seems to be wildly inconsistent. I've not had a problem with it at all - I think it's worked every single time I've left a game and gone back. It even works when I have taken the plug out. 

 

But for others, it's not working at all. 

 

And then for others it's worked perfectly and then suddenly stopped. And for some it doesn't work with certain games but is fine on others. 

 

It's something that needs to get sorted out really. Even for me, who hasn't had a problem with it, I am always wondering if it's going to be like joycon drift or the red ring of death, and if today is the day I then my console on and find Quick Resume doesn't work. 

Its worked for me on all games I have tried it with so far. The only time it hasn't is where I have had "this game took to long to start" error (I used to get it on the One and One X every so often as well). 

 

I have had to hard reset the console and then fully load the game from the start when this has happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally set up my XSX (and PS5) ready for Christmas. Controllers are charging (PS5 ones in the charging dock)

 

I haven't turned them on yet.  Going to save all that for Christmas day.

 

I decided to move the TV unit, clean behind it and declutter all the cabling for all my other consoles, removed all the ethernet cables (decided to go completely wifi this time).

 

Took 4 hours!!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Finally set up my XSX (and PS5) ready for Christmas. Controllers are charging (PS5 ones in the charging dock)

 

I haven't turned them on yet.  Going to save all that for Christmas day.

 

I decided to move the TV unit, clean behind it and declutter all the cabling for all my other consoles, removed all the ethernet cables (decided to go completely wifi this time).

 

Took 4 hours!!!  

 

Turn them on now if you want to play on Xmas day

 

Just set up my Series S and its taken all afternoon to download updates to all my games even though I'd moved most over via an external HD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a great time this evening just flitting between various games I'd downloaded on to my XSX. I started off on Burnout Revenge, which was good fun, even if everything did look like it was smeared in vaseline. I then switched from that to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which I bought in the sale for about £3 and then played for all of half an hour before uninstalling and requesting a refund - I enjoyed Human Revolution back in 2011, but this just felt bleurgh. After that, however, things improved a lot with the hour-long trial of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, which was great, and which I'll definitely be buying at some point. I then finished off with the first half an hour of Dead Space, which is free via EA Play. The lack of anti-aliasing in 2020 is pretty noticeable, but apart from that it still looks good and plays well. The sound design, in particular, is horribly effective, especially as I decided to buy the Dolby Atmos for Headphones licence.

 

A good night's gaming, all in all, especially for someone like me who typically just plays one game at a time. The loading speeds for everything and zippiness in general is pretty astonishing. I've got about 8 games currently downloading, including Horizon 4, so I'm looking forward to playing that at some point tomorrow and seeing what the graphics can do.

 

After spending the last 9 months predominantly PC gaming, coming back to a console, especially one that's this quick, the speed and ease with which you can get into a game really is noticeable by comparison. If MS can sort quick resume out then I can genuinely see it having a big impact on the way I actually play games. I bought Hades for my PC a couple of days ago, but I'm half tempted to get a refund for it and wait for he inevitable Xbox release, just so I can play it more easily and do a couple of runs here and there between other games whenever I feel like it.

 

Good stuff! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ymaohyd said:

Question: I’m on a One S with a 720p TV. Would it be ridiculous to get a Series X? I don’t think I can bring myself to buy a console without a disc drive and I don’t think I’ll be updating my TV anytime soon. 

 

Yes.

 

If you really can't stand to get a console with a disc drive then you could go for an Xbox One X as an upgrade to your One S, but really I would prioritise getting a new TV if I were you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

Yes.

 

If you really can't stand to get a console with a disc drive then you could go for an Xbox One X as an upgrade to your One S, but really I would prioritise getting a new TV if I were you.

I wouldn’t upgrade to a One X now as it’s not the upgrade I’m looking for. I just want to play current gen games with SSD but I don’t really care about resolution. 

 

The only reason I’m even considering it is with selling the One S, Microsoft points and some amazon vouchers I could get close to a series X.

 

I should probably just get a tv first. Any cheap good ones, where’s that thread?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ymaohyd said:

Question: I’m on a One S with a 720p TV. Would it be ridiculous to get a Series X? I don’t think I can bring myself to buy a console without a disc drive and I don’t think I’ll be updating my TV anytime soon. 


Not ridiculous at all. If you sell games when done, you’ll make the extra back in no time at all. 
 

Right now, the disc drive is the only thing even slightly tempting me to get a Series X over my Series S. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

 

Be careful, though - all ye who enter the TV thread can never leave, lest they first order an LG OLED.

Ha, thanks.

 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:


Not ridiculous at all. If you sell games when done, you’ll make the extra back in no time at all. 
 

Right now, the disc drive is the only thing even slightly tempting me to get a Series X over my Series S. 

I think I’ll keep saving my points and see where I’m at when they’re back in stock at MS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ymaohyd said:

I wouldn’t upgrade to a One X now as it’s not the upgrade I’m looking for. I just want to play current gen games with SSD but I don’t really care about resolution. 

 

The only reason I’m even considering it is with selling the One S, Microsoft points and some amazon vouchers I could get close to a series X.

 

I should probably just get a tv first. Any cheap good ones, where’s that thread?

I didnt have £1000+ for an OLED so I searched reviews and bought https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3448504 £350

 

reviews were decent

 

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/hisense-roku-tv-r50b7120uk

https://www.t3.com/reviews/hisense-r50b7120uk-roku-tv-review

 

etc

 

it has a game mode with low latency (16ms I think)  it has HDR10 it has 4k it has a fast menu system/os due to Roku. It has shortcomings obviously (no HDR10+ or DolbyVision) as it is cheap as chips but in terms of bang for buck it easily beat my old 1080p set and the Series X looks superb on it as do UHDs

 

 

EDIT - I should point out they do a 55 inch (£369) and a 65 inch (£549) as well

EDIT 2 - Also HDR is NOT as impressive as the big expensive TVs with 300 nits average I think (LGs hit 750 average and 1000 peak). Gears 5 looks great with some great bright sunlit scenes compared to my old tv though and its a third of the price of an LG OLED :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hitcher said:

 

 

 

 

 

Just FYI, Evil Boris who gets namechecked on a lot of that guy's videos told me how to set my TV up (we have the same one) and it was pretty obvious that I couldn't just use the same settings and have it be correct. My HDR white was the wrong temperature - it would need properly calibrating to get it set correctly, so I've made some changes and am generally happy with my picture.

 

I'm sure everyone knows that variations in the panel mean that settings aren't universal,  but I just thought I'd throw that in, just in case! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clipper said:

I didnt have £1000+ for an OLED so I searched reviews and bought https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3448504 £350

 

reviews were decent

 

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/hisense-roku-tv-r50b7120uk

https://www.t3.com/reviews/hisense-r50b7120uk-roku-tv-review

 

etc

 

it has a game mode with low latency (16ms I think)  it has HDR10 it has 4k it has a fast menu system/os due to Roku. It has shortcomings obviously (no HDR10+ or DolbyVision) as it is cheap as chips but in terms of bang for buck it easily beat my old 1080p set and the Series X looks superb on it as do UHDs

 

 

EDIT - I should point out they do a 55 inch (£369) and a 65 inch (£549) as well

EDIT 2 - Also HDR is NOT as impressive as the big expensive TVs with 300 nits average I think (LGs hit 750 average and 1000 peak). Gears 5 looks great with some great bright sunlit scenes compared to my old tv though and its a third of the price of an LG OLED :D

 

Thanks, that looks like a decent set for the price. I don’t even know what HDR is so I’ll happily stay ignorant about that. Anything’s got to be better than my 12 year old Panny Plasma right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

If you're coming from a plasma you'll only be disappointed with an LED.

 

You quickly get used to it.   I also went from a Panny Plasma to an LED and initially thought it was going to burn my eyes out. Got used to it though and the 4K.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Can anyone confirm that when you update your games titles stored on the internal drive have the update downloaded there and titles on an external drive have their updates applied on that drive ? 

Yes, It won't copy things across.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

 

You quickly get used to it.   I also went from a Panny Plasma to an LED and initially thought it was going to burn my eyes out. Got used to it though and the 4K.


I’ve gone Plasma > OLED > LCD and you’re right you get used to the huge drop but when you see that OLED again it looks incredible, needless to say a new telly is top priority....

Link to post
Share on other sites

My hugely insightful Day 1 impressions of the Series S:

 

It's tiny! Coming from the PS4 Pro I was amazed how small this thing is when I picked it up.

 

The Xbox UI is a bit messier than the PS4 one that I'm used to. I'm finding the way it lays things out it a bit weird, it's tile overload on the main screen. I also don't like that it has sponsored ads on the main screen.

 

Gamepass Ultimate is unbelievable value! Having not owned an Xbox since the 360 there is a crazy amount of stuff on GPU that I want to play.

 

Started off by installing Gears 5 and Horizon 4. I know they're not "next gen" games but they look and run amazing. Gears in particular has some fantastic looking effects in it and the performance is silky smooth. 

 

All in all I'm really happy so far especially as selling my PS4 Pro at Game has virtually covered the whole cost of the S.

 

Oh the other thing I forgot to mention. The S is so quiet coming from the PS4 Pro! I played a couple hours of Gears and the console was virtually silent the whole time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ymaohyd said:

I wouldn’t upgrade to a One X now as it’s not the upgrade I’m looking for. I just want to play current gen games with SSD but I don’t really care about resolution. 


Buy an external SSD drive and plug it into your Xbox.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Still going to be massively slower than playing them on series s. 

current gen games will load as fast on a series S from the internal drive, as they do an external ssd with a usb3.1 connector, as they cant use the internal ssd optimally.

 

@ymaohyd an external ssd will improve the load speed on a standard xbox one, and, you can plug it into an xbox s/x when you upgrade to them and just carry on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.