Xbox Series X | S

Not sure why there's a smoke for Horizon 5 to be set in Japan - I've only played FH4 admittedly but you'd have to play really loose with authenticity to have wide open spaces and a free "drive anywhere" experience. 70% of the country is dense forest or inhospitably steep terrain and the remaining 30% are quite narrow, packed urban spaces. 

It would basically be the opposite of FH4's map. I can understand the desire to race around a Tokyo-esque neon cityscape, but wouldn't that be a bit of an antithesis to Horizon's approach? 

I've only played 4 though, so maybe the others have mixed their map up a bit more. I guess they may also just sort of create a fictional Okinawa-style island where it's flatter and more open, and then just make it generically Japanese. 

I wonder if it would be something they'd consider in order to back up their recent push into the Japanese market though. 

As a complete aside, the tone of the game is quite jarring and annoying too. Aren't Playground doing Fable? Hope it doesn't bode ominously for them nailing it in a game which largely depends on tone...

17 minutes ago, Parksey said:

Not sure why there's a smoke for Horizon 5 to be set in Japan  

As a complete aside, the tone of the game is quite jarring and annoying too. Aren't Playground doing Fable? Hope it doesn't bode ominously for them nailing it in a game which largely depends on tone...

For the first part, there was some leaked concept images a while ago that suggested Japan - whether they were genuine or not, I don't know. 

For the second, Playground set up a second new studio with new talent away from the Horizon games. It's that studio doing Fable, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

24 minutes ago, Parksey said:

It's a long running misunderstanding about who is actually making Fable, Playground was originally set-up as a racing game developer by people who made racing games, so understandable why this confusion continues to exist. :)

They set-up an entirely separate and new development studio in a different building and hired staff for it. These are the people making the RPG, not the existing set of people working on the racing games. How good the RPG will be is unknown, you are reliant on the track record of the management of Playground games being keen eyed enough to hire suitable talent.

The most recent example of this being Respawn Entertainment (Infinity Ward) who had only ever made FPS games, and then staffed up a separate dev team to make 3rd person action games led by the director of God of War 3.

12 hours ago, Parksey said:

Not sure why there's a smoke for Horizon 5 to be set in Japan - I've only played FH4 admittedly but you'd have to play really loose with authenticity to have wide open spaces and a free "drive anywhere" experience. 70% of the country is dense forest or inhospitably steep terrain and the remaining 30% are quite narrow, packed urban spaces.

Never forget the Internet videogame community Japan fetish.

I do think there is an element of that to it but at least with Japan there's a reference point of classic games like the mountain racing of Initial D or Battle Gear, the urban highways of Wangan Midnight etc. Gamers clearly have a reference point for arcade racing games set in Japan. Nighttime mountain roads and neon cities are what come to mind when I think of a racing game set in Japan and I think it's an appealing setting for a game, particularly the latter, with one of the selling points of the Series X being the ability to make every surface look like a mirror...

Also, Japan actually makes a lot of cars and has a fairly substantial and influential car modding/racing scene, which is more than can be said for some of the other settings they've chosen.

Has anyone played Fable Anniversary on the BC recently? 

I'm playing it on my S and it runs a bit jerky. I've heard it's always been compromised it terms of smoothness and frame rate, but I'm wondering if there's a difference between the S and X. 

I've heard that the S bases its BC on the One S, and the X bases its on the One X. 

I'm wondering if it just runs like arse on both consoles or whether it's another string in the X's bow and making me wanting to upgrade. 

29 minutes ago, Parksey said:

I've heard that the S bases its BC on the One S, and the X bases its on the One X.  

That's for Xbox One games, because the One X is better spec'd in a few areas than the Series S. I wouldn't think it would affect OG/360 games other than output resolution.

35 minutes ago, Parksey said:

Has anyone played Fable Anniversary on the BC recently? 

I'm playing it on my S and it runs a bit jerky. I've heard it's always been compromised it terms of smoothness and frame rate, but I'm wondering if there's a difference between the S and X. 

I'm wondering if it just runs like arse on both consoles or whether it's another string in the X's bow and making me wanting to upgrade. 

I played it a year ago and it was a mess not just how it ran but the controls gameplay etc, it hasn't dated well. Fable 2 and 3 are much better. 

I have filled my internal hdd and pretty much filled the external ssd I have hooked up... sure I could get rid of some things but I love having my games I play in rotation in there plus some new ones and others I fancy trying! 

Handily the OS update tells you what games are S | X enhanced better now so can move some stuff off the internal once I’ve deleted some games.... 

24 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Football manager is terrible. Mad, octodad esque controls and blurry ps1-level graphics in the match engine. Wtaf. 

I'm doing something I've never done on xbox before and getting a refund. 

2 questions

can you plug in a mouse, or not just click the stick and use it like a mouse?

what were you expecting the match engine to look like? its not a looker! hell, i have mine set to the old 2d dots!

image.thumb.png.659e16dde390c9ff15c7556c293ebf20.png

5 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

2 questions

can you plug in a mouse, or not just click the stick and use it like a mouse?

what were you expecting the match engine to look like? its not a looker! hell, i have mine set to the old 2d dots!

image.thumb.png.659e16dde390c9ff15c7556c293ebf20.png

No mouse support. You can click the stick but that moves so slowly (or too fast if you hold down a button to speed it up)

I was at least expecting the match engine to run at something approaching native resolution as it always has on pc. Not a lie, it seems to be 480p, even the character creator is aliased like I'm playing through a composite cable.

I had a previous version of this on switch and it wasn't this poor. 

On 28/11/2020 at 18:42, Parksey said:

It would basically be the opposite of FH4's map. I can understand the desire to race around a Tokyo-esque neon cityscape, but wouldn't that be a bit of an antithesis to Horizon's approach? 

I've only played 4 though, so maybe the others have mixed their map up a bit more. I guess they may also just sort of create a fictional Okinawa-style island where it's flatter and more open, and then just make it generically Japanese. 

I wonder if it would be something they'd consider in order to back up their recent push into the Japanese market though. 

I wouldn’t mind a different approach to Horizon so some more packed urban areas together with mountainous off road stuff they could take a bit of poetic licence with would be fine with me.

It peaked with 2 for me, despite the sequels being objectively better, because they felt quite samey.

Yeah. If you go back to the first one it's open world but with closed roads, you can't go tearing through the country side. To be honest I'd prefer a return to that more skill based approach for at least one game. I went back to check out the auto-hdr and spent ages doing races because it was more fun than 4.

36 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah. If you go back to the first one it's open world but with closed roads, you can't go tearing through the country side. To be honest I'd prefer a return to that more skill based approach for at least one game. I went back to check out the auto-hdr and spent ages doing races because it was more fun than 4.

Horizon 1 is awesome, a really fun game, the festival / storyline was engaging and it was all new and exciting, 2 on the 360 still keeps you stuck to roads, I played a week or so of it and then decided on my next gen console, the X1 and a copy of FH2, it was liberating to race off road, everywhere I wanted, but it's all just a bit much really, I played a decent amount of 3 and only a few hours of 4, diminishing returns, a shift back to the style of the first one would be welcomed.

If they keep the seasons from FH4 but set in Japan then they'll have plenty of scope to go mad with the cherry blossoms and snowy mountains. If anything it would be the most obvious setting they've chosen so far, nobody was lobbying for a racing game set in Colorado, Australia or Northumberland.

10 minutes ago, SteveH said:

You need to use an HDMI adaptor that has an optical output, but so far I don't believe any are 2.1 compatible.

Right, I know what I'm looking for now. Thanks very much. I doubt 2.1 will be relevant for me, I don't have a new enough TV. Or even a Series X yet, but there's no harm in getting things straight early :P

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

I like 4 but can only play in short bursts. They've obviously gone for a very open structure with this series but it just means nothing is very satisfying or rewarding, the original had the structure perfect for me. 

I think it peaked with the race that was available for the demo, the off-road one where you’re tearing through a vineyard, then jump onto a huge hill with hay bales scattered around and the Eric Prydz track blasting out. That’s not to say all the rest aren’t very good, they are, it’s just that felt new and epic and I replayed it about 50 times.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

I like 4 but can only play in short bursts. They've obviously gone for a very open structure with this series but it just means nothing is very satisfying or rewarding, the original had the structure perfect for me. 

I've been thinking a lot about this with so many game these days. The trip back to the original Horizon was eye opening as to how much easier the series had become, being able to plow though trees and not worry about racing lines. Stuck within the rigid confines of Colorado I was having to actually learn the roads properly and because of that I began to actually memorise the roads and when they'd feature in other races I could use that knowledge. A far cry from the hold accelerate to win of the modern games.

Another series that has done this is Assassin's Creed. Getting to an eagle tower used to be a game in itself. Looking for hand holds and slowly navigating your way up an impressively tall building with leaps of faith and heart stopping moments. Now it's hold A to scale impossible mountain.

Ultimately none of it is very satisfying and just seems like the same thing that happened to cinema, with everything becoming a brainless popcorn blockbuster.

42 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I've been thinking a lot about this with so many game these days. The trip back to the original Horizon was eye opening as to how much easier the series had become, being able to plow though trees and not worry about racing lines. Stuck within the rigid confines of Colorado I was having to actually learn the roads properly and because of that I began to actually memorise the roads and when they'd feature in other races I could use that knowledge. A far cry from the hold accelerate to win of the modern games.

Another series that has done this is Assassin's Creed. Getting to an eagle tower used to be a game in itself. Looking for hand holds and slowly navigating your way up an impressively tall building with leaps of faith and heart stopping moments. Now it's hold A to scale impossible mountain.

Ultimately none of it is very satisfying and just seems like the same thing that happened to cinema, with everything becoming a brainless popcorn blockbuster.

This feels like a very narrow view of both games and cinema. 

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Right, I know what I'm looking for now. Thanks very much. I doubt 2.1 will be relevant for me, I don't have a new enough TV. Or even a Series X yet, but there's no harm in getting things straight early :P

I have this adapter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084S83ML9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can confirm that it (at least) works with 1080p at 120hz. It also introduces no frames of input lag based on my small amount of testing (using app that uses high frame function of phone to measure time from a button press).

So, it works great.

But there's a big issue for me. I wanted to have chat also outputted via the optical (i.e. via the xbox's HDMI) . You can set party chat to do this on the system level, but you can't for game chat. This means that if I don't have a mic plugged in, game chat goes through optical. But if I plug a mic into the controller, game chat is rooted to headset connected to the controller, even if there isn't one plugged in (only a mic). Oddly, it is a game by game setting that allows game chat to go through HDMI. Party chat is fine (can set to HDMI always, even with a mic plugged in), but game chat isn't.

The above is an issue for me because I wanted to use the DAC I used with my PS4 that accepted optical to drive my headphone (which are high impedance and don't play nicely with the xbox controller). So now I use a different pair of headphones via the 3.5mm connector on the controller, instead of using the optical.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S