Xbox Series X | S

On 25/11/2020 at 15:28, MattyP said:

"And 70% of Xbox Series X and S consoles are attached to Xbox Game Pass memberships"

I'd be interested in knowing the X, S split there, the S is very much a game pass machine.

On 25/11/2020 at 21:14, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

G2a or MTC, MTC is a bit cheaper I think but not sure if they accept PayPal, or any foreign fees associated with it as i used card. if you have a foreign exchange fee charge for your card you may get a few quid charges unless you use revolut or similar.

Never, EVER buy from G2a, they resell stolen keys.  Many, many developers have said they'd rather you pirate.

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I have a very had time believing this, unless it is a remake of a previous game. There is a reason they had Panic Button work on the Optimized version. Also the game is still receiving active updates while Forza Motorsport 7 was EOL-ed last year. 

I would personally prefer to have Motorsport first. Not the biggest fan of Horizon's modern installments, prefer the first 2 games. 

4 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I have a very had time believing this, unless it is a remake of a previous game. There is a reason they had Panic Button work on the Optimized version. Also the game is still receiving active updates while Forza Motorsport 7 was EOL-ed last year. 

I would personally prefer to have Motorsport first. Not the biggest fan of Horizon's modern installments, prefer the first 2 games. 

Thought FM 8 was the next Forza game to be released. Although both Forza lines are due a release going by past timescales.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Thought FM 8 was the next Forza game to be released. Although both Forza lines are due a release going by past timescales.

There was a rumour floating around that Motorsport is going open world. Maybe they could be merging them..

1 minute ago, sandman said:

Is the Control ultimate edition the next gen one? Is there a next gen one? 

I think it's current gen, but by buying this edition you get the next gen update for free when it's released. 

(if it's the one I got last week, it was on offer for £17.50ish)

30 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Surely finally set in Japan, which has been the rumour for many years and would surely make a next gen splash.

I would love this. 

I realised though a huge huge part of what I am enjoying so much about FH4 was the setting in the UK. The familiarity of the UK country / village areas and Edinburgh is lovely and reminds me of a UK road trip holiday I had years ago. 

On the other hand the thought of Australia (that's Fh3, right?) just didn't appeal. 

Japan is lovely though so would interest me, especially having finally visited there in 2018. But the location would really make or break the excitement for me. More than next gen graphics or whatever else. 

I've enjoyed messing around in FH4 and I suppose the way it constantly shouts at you is what the youth like these days, but I could do without it. Maybe an option to turn all the 'festival' shit off and just have events to do. It's like a great racing game that you can only play round the house of the most fucking annoying hipster cunts. It's like millennial Top Gear.

Agree Japan would be an awesome location for the next FH game. The mountain track Fujimi Kaido in Forza Motorsport 3 was one of my favourite tracks ever in any racing game.

Have to add that Forza Motorsport 3 is still my favourite FM game. Great range of tracks in there. They seem to be far less varied these days IMHO. Shame it's not BC love to play some of those tracks again.

Agree about Forza Horizon 4 BTW and in general about the Forza Horizon series. Hate the festival bro dude thing going on. Latest one adding clothing etc was just a bit too far. I can see why they have put it in there but jeez it doesn't sit well with me. Still a great game and you thankfully largely ignore most of it when in the game properly. 

Having a bro dude festival thing set in Japan would be very odd

Wish sometimes there was a open world driving game crossed with Polyphonys approach to driving games. A Gran Turismo Drive game or something. Open world driving and racing combined. Find Playgrounds presentation of its games quite jarring and annoying at times. Cras with no class. As great as the tech and games are.

34 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I've enjoyed messing around in FH4 and I suppose the way it constantly shouts at you is what the youth like these days, but I could do without it. Maybe an option to turn all the 'festival' shit off and just have events to do. It's like a great racing game that you can only play round the house of the most fucking annoying hipster cunts. It's like millennial Top Gear.

In the same vein I imagine the Japanese equivalent of all the "mad sick bare tings in my socks oh my days" would better super entertaining. 

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

Having a bro dude festival thing set in Japan would be very odd

I think the trick would be to have it all in Japanese with subtitles. Makes it more authentic and might also cater to the Japanese home audience. 

With regards to open world... not sure. I don't think I would appreciate this at all. 

My main issue with the Forza franchise is the bloat. I would prefer Forza Motorsport to focus more towards Sim Racing / e-Sports audience with a focused presentation, real world circuits, believable physics etc. Let Forza Horizon be the arcade/gimmicky one and Motorsport be the real deal to compete with Gran Turismo. 

10 hours ago, Pockets said:

I feel it should be more Top Gear and less whatever millennial EDM hipster stuff we get now. The whole festival should be a pure race festival like Goodwood Festival of Speed, not some version of Coachellas. 

I am playing a lot of WRC 9 rally right now and it is near perfect in execution and presentation. Just focused on racing, light career and progression stuff but all in a focused garage setting and just tons of variation in the events and proper long rally events. This is how racing always more or less was... all this modern bloat is just a manifestation of the virus that is MTX/cosmetics/loot/Ubisoft style quest maps which gaming can totally do without. 

The future for racing games isn't very promising with Take 2 buying Codemasters (which was already moving fast towards the dark side). 

Dirt 5 is very much bro dude like FH4 and I’m not a fan of it on either but on FH4 I can ignore it easily enough but I guess I don’t follow the structure of the game and do what I want most of the time and dip in and out of the races etc.

Something like A combination of TDU + FH + FH2 would be perfection for me but saying that I loved FH3 and love FH4 thus far!

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The future for racing games isn't very promising with Take 2 buying Codemasters (which was already moving fast towards the dark side). 

Indeed. There has been a drought of arcade racers last gen IMHO. Although there seems to a few retro arcade racers coming though. 

For me there is still a gap for a PGR type game. Simcade city racer. It will never get made but something I've missed and Forza Horizon as good as it is - is no replacement IMHO. Sony haven't even announced any first party racers this gen - well other than Gran Turismo which isn't really a simcade type racer. Perhaps as a genre it's not that popular anymore. 

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Dirt 5 is very much bro dude like FH4 and I’m not a fan of it on either but on FH4 I can ignore it easily enough but I guess I don’t follow the structure of the game and do what I want most of the time and dip in and out of the races etc.

Something like A combination of TDU + FH + FH2 would be perfection for me but saying that I loved FH3 and love FH4 thus far!

Well there's a new TDU on the way from the people who have apparently fucking nailed the PS5 WRC game so there's hope!

16 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I love the racing in Horizon 4, I just don’t know what to do next. Online is still a mystery too.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Well there's a new TDU on the way from the people who have apparently fucking nailed the PS5 WRC game so there's hope!

Cool. WRC 9 is fantastic, also on Xbox. That WRC license goes to Codemasters in 2023 unfortunately. Dirt 5 runs like dogshit compared to WRC 9.

I also hope Assetto Corsa Competizione gets a proper next-gen patch soon... hope they stick to 60fps and don't go for flashy 30fps again.

5 minutes ago, koefoed said:

Just bought a LG CX 48" for my XSX. Not a bad match, now I just need to find some games with HDR that makes the screen pop. :D

We've got the 55" arriving tomorrow. Just because my other half wanted to get the best out of the Series X. I'm not complaining. 

4 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

I love the racing in Horizon 4, I just don’t know what to do next. Online is still a mystery too.

I absolutely loved this game for a week or so, even ironically enjoying the yah bants corporate projection of what imaginary cool rich kids into influencers would be like, but I raced to Level 10 in most of the series and then realised that after that it seems to just become a massive grind to progress with a lot of playing the same races over and over.

As someone else said the multiplayer is baffling. I get the concept of Drivatars but then it left me confused in some of the seasonal events on whether I was actually racing real people or not. The capture the flag, battle royale, zombie modes modes are all hot garbage as well. I looked up what a "convoy" was as well and it still made no sense so I ignore it when anyone invites me to one lol. I think I'm too old haha.

Still it looks gorgeous and the racing is perfectly balanced for a casual like me. If I could play Spotify in game, I would overlook all of the above.

"Convoy" is just a way to have a game session with friends.. just think of it as a means to create a lobby.

It is essentially an RPG car game once you have done some bits and pieces. Quite enjoyed the showcase events, stuntman events. Just feels a bit flat after that. Not really got into the online modes in any of the Horizons although did I a spell back in Forza Horizon 2 where I had a few online adventures which were cool at the time.

I love cruising around on this as it's such a lovely environment to experience and a it's fun with the wheel. However spent two months when it was initially released playing it a fair bit managed to get to level 52 before I got bored. Even grinding for money didn't do it for me (11M credits sat there doing nothing!) so the game feels a bit tired at times for me.

9 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I feel it should be more Top Gear and less whatever millennial EDM hipster stuff we get now. The whole festival should be a pure race festival like Goodwood Festival of Speed, not some version of Coachellas. 

I am playing a lot of WRC 9 rally right now and it is near perfect in execution and presentation. Just focused on racing, light career and progression stuff but all in a focused garage setting and just tons of variation in the events and proper long rally events. This is how racing always more or less was... all this modern bloat is just a manifestation of the virus that is MTX/cosmetics/loot/Ubisoft style quest maps which gaming can totally do without. 

I think that the Coachella angle could be amazing, but Playground have never been anywhere near getting the tone right in any of these games when it comes to the festival stuff. The writing’s always awful and the dudebro shit is horrible. It’s a shame, as FH4 is a fantastic game when you’re in the car. I would like much more of a sense of actual progression in the next one - let’s have a decent story mode, and I wouldn’t mind being forced into specific cars or classes more often, rather than letting you go through so much of the content in whatever car you want. I know that’s part of the ethos, but it leads to a worse videogame IMO when you’re outside the free roam mode.

Next gen would seem like the perfect time for a bit of a reset, as I think there will be diminishing returns if they just do the same thing yet again (the seasons were a cool gimmick, mind!), even if it looks stunning and is set in Japan. Sure, I’d still play it loads and it would be a solid 8 or 9, but think bigger, Playground! 

Yeah where it absolutely has lost its way is you could spend 75% of the game in one car easily.  FH2's regions thing was annoying but it did provide a skeleton that maybe FH4 needs, especially with houses replacing festivals and thus also removing FH3's early game structure.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Next gen would seem like the perfect time for a bit of a reset, as I think there will be diminishing returns if they just do the same thing yet again (the seasons were a cool gimmick, mind!), even if it looks stunning and is set in Japan. Sure, I’d still play it loads and it would be a solid 8 or 9, but think bigger, Playground! 

Give me a Slay The Spire type of branching narrative (overlaid on a map of course) with proper boss races. I want to drive through a world but I don't want to have "do anything you want all the time" continuously with 100+ things to take part in all the time, Ubisoft style. Make it more like a trek/rally through a vast landscape with different vehicles and classes. In all seriousness, I feel Forza has become bloated... both editions and it needs a proper re-imagining in a more lean and focused package. 

Instead of having 1000+ of each one have 100+ that are meaningful and truly exciting. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S