Xbox Series X | S

21 minutes ago, Majora said:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was so boring I couldn't even be bothered to finish it, and I finished both previous titles. Really felt like a B team effort with a lack of polish and a load of unnecessary crap added in.

Its a real shame to hear the impressions of Shadow here , I think I won't plump for it, I'll give Rise one more try. I hope TR gets a decent reboot/refresh this gen but if not Tomb Raider Anniversary is still superb and BC. Probably the best TR game that can be played on modern hardware.

Keeping a franchise fresh for nearly 25 years must be tough there are not many that stand that test.

51 minutes ago, Hass said:

Why are only certain games possible to request download of via the Xbox app? I could do blops but not Gears Tactics or The Orange Box...

I was looking for The Orange Box to potentially buy on the Xbox.com Store earlier and it said you couldn't for some reason so not sure if there is some issue there.

3 hours ago, Majora said:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was so boring I couldn't even be bothered to finish it, and I finished both previous titles. Really felt like a B team effort with a lack of polish and a load of unnecessary crap added in.

And to be fair, it literally is a B Team effort, it's the first one since Angel of Darkness not by Crystal Dynamics.

14 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

What is it? I mean what game modes/tracks does it add?

It's an expansion where all the buildings and trees are made of Lego.

Everything is Awesome.

Fortune Island adds extreme weather, the Northern Lights, a cliff race and more in an island full of amazing roads.

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but for people who purchased directly from Microsoft Store you can extended your warranty by another 2 years including accidental damage for £39.  I've just done it.  Sadly you have to call them, it cant be done online.  You'll need email address and console serial number - mine was updated immediately. 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-series-x-s-3-year-warranty-at-microsoft-for-ps39-3596892

So two games that I move from my external USB drive (GTAV and the MC Collection) to my internal drive just totally refused to work once the copying process had completed. I had tried both of them via the USB drive and suspect that they were both in 'Quick Resume' mode when I moved them. I had to re-download both of them, which was pretty painful.

Has anyone else seen this? One to watch out for if you're moving games yourselves.

6 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

So two games that I move from my external USB drive (GTAV and the MC Collection) to my internal drive just totally refused to work once the copying process had completed. I had tried both of them via the USB drive and suspect that they were both in 'Quick Resume' mode when I moved them. I had to re-download both of them, which was pretty painful.

Has anyone else seen this? One to watch out for if you're moving games yourselves.

If that is the reason they wouldn't open (that quick resume meant the system thought the data should be affiliated with an internally run game) then opening other games to overwrite the quick resume cache may have fixed it. 

3 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

I should have tested that at the time! It was only a theory anyway, but just wanted to let people know in case it happens to them.

Oh I think you're right to share,  I just wanted to offer my guess at what to try if someone else ended up in the same position. 

I had to re-download Gears 5 because the upgrade didn't seem to take properly so I ended up with two installs of Gears,  neither of which worked and then had to start again, so I sympathise! 

It's been such a transition for me to move over to a console experience. I've found myself playing a lot more games and actually wanting to complete them too. I've had a Shadow PC and play with friends on the odd game here and there. I find it so much more of a hassle to start it up, wait for it to connect, boot into windows, load up a game, faff around with the graphics settings etc. It's been so refreshing to just start the thing, run a game with it being smooth and looking amazing from the get-go and just drop straight in. I've been playing Battlefield V, SW Jedi Fallen Order, Darksiders: Genesis and I actually bought myself Mafia Definitive Edition (one of my favourite games from the early 2000's). I booted into Mafia via Quick Resume yesterday in 2 seconds from the dash - crazy fast! 

I appreciate PC's, the graphics and fidelity they offer, but there really is something to just pressing a button and jumping straight back in. Also having the guaranteed performance of 60fps whatever res it's running in too is great. I'm happy with what GamePass offers presently but the thought of all of these first party studios being released on GamePass day 1 (hopefully) really is amazing. So far it's been brilliant and well worth the £450 and £10/mo I'm paying. 

2 hours ago, fattakin said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but for people who purchased directly from Microsoft Store you can extended your warranty by another 2 years including accidental damage for £39.  I've just done it.  Sadly you have to call them, it cant be done online.  You'll need email address and console serial number - mine was updated immediately. 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-series-x-s-3-year-warranty-at-microsoft-for-ps39-3596892

It's annoying you have to have bought the console from Microsoft. In the US and here (for the previous gen), you could add consoles from other retailers as long as you have proof of purchase.

With the Ryzen processors lumped in the Series Consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if a UWP version of RPCS3 ran perfectly fine for games that don't require high clock speeds, either.

I'd be laughing pretty hard at seeing the PS3 version of Demon's Souls on the XBox, if it ever does become a thing!

37 minutes ago, Siri said:

With the Ryzen processors lumped in the Series Consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if a UWP version of RPCS3 ran perfectly fine for games that don't require high clock speeds, either.

I'd be laughing pretty hard at seeing the PS3 version of Demon's Souls on the XBox, if it ever does become a thing!

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/you-can-play-demons-souls-on-pc-at-60-fps-now-and-mods-make-it-even-better/

Well it's technically possible on a PC so I expect no reason why someone won't get it running on an Xbox series S (or X).

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/you-can-play-demons-souls-on-pc-at-60-fps-now-and-mods-make-it-even-better/

Well it's technically possible on a PC so I expect no reason why someone won't get it running on an Xbox series S (or X).

Biggest hurdle (and it's not really that big compared to Instruction Set, IPC and how well the emulator is coded at the time) is clock speed - I think the Series S runs at at something like 3.4-3.6Ghz. Although, to be fair, even older ryzen processors at stock get a fair shake at DeS with some occasional frame drops:

Spoiler

The 2600 in this video is something like 3.4Ghz/3.9Ghz, and is based on processor architecture that's two years old now.

Question: do you all still have the wishlist functionality on the Microsoft Store? It disappeared for me. I can still access the wishlist but the button to add games disappeared from individual product pages. Just want to make sure this is not a problem on my side e.g. an ad blocker gone rogue. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S