Xbox Series X | S

Halo Reach, 120 - yeah, I like that, I’m just rubbish at it when I’ve not set my controller up properly. I had tried it on the PC, but halo is a console game for me.

Avengers Endgame, UHD - it’s a UHD picture, but since I haven’t got an EARC soundbar (and therefore not a hdmi 2.1 pass through) the sound isn’t as great as it can be because I’m limited to Dolby digital Plus, rather than 7.1 uncompressed.

There’s also the expected low level of background disk noise. Games consoles: if you haven’t got an alternative, and/or you’re only playing  loud movies, they’ll play disks.

(it’s not really loud noise, or worse PS4 levels of noise, but it’s more than nothing).

I bought Bright Memory, not the best £7 I have ever spent. It looks terrible with its generic environments, crappy textures and 360 era character models. Awful performance as well with near constant screen tearing like I haven't experienced in a long time.

The gameplay is quite different, FPS that pushes you to chain combos using guns and knives and kinetic blasts (A bit like the recent Shadow Warrior games I suppose). The weapons felt a bit lame though, perhaps because the enemies just felt like bullet sponges.

So yeah, dont think I will be going back to it or buying the full price release next year.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Hadn't used my Series X in a few days for various reasons but it booting up from standby in about 4 seconds and then loading a game I hadn't played in about a week from quick resume in a few seconds still felt a bit like magic to be honest.

That's really the only next gen thing I've noticed really, not that I'm complaining. Though Gears Tactics looks quite amazing.

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

I’ve just won a four year long legal battle which resulted in a small fortune landing in my lap. About ten times more money than I’ve ever had in my life. I’ve had most a bottle of cheap fizz and I’m playing Halo 1 at 120fps with the dog sleeping on my feet. Life is good boys. I’m really glad Microsoft is putting the effort in for back compat so these games can live on in a meaningful robust way. 

Can you share the story?

4 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Seems wrong to pos a post about someone nearly dying. Anyway don’t get too pissed a waz in your Xbox. 

But at least we now know if he does both the Xbox and him have a great chance of survival thanks to research conducted on behalf of the forum by @Ry! And agree just stay away from the Tennants... 

9 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I bought Bright Memory, not the best £7 I have ever spent. It looks terrible with its generic environments, crappy textures and 360 era character models. Awful performance as well with near constant screen tearing like I haven't experienced in a long time.

The gameplay is quite different, FPS that pushes you to chain combos using guns and knives and kinetic blasts (A bit like the recent Shadow Warrior games I suppose). The weapons felt a bit lame though, perhaps because the enemies just felt like bullet sponges.

So yeah, dont think I will be going back to it or buying the full price release next year.

I had the same experience. Tearing can be fixed by enabling v sync in the options. This is clearly just the pc version lashed on series. It even has the mouse pointer to select options in menus :D

Lots of series x games have mouse support/options I’ve noticed. It gets me in the feels. 

Thanks for the likes last night. I was hammered and played the silent cartographer then fell asleep. It was glorious. 

9 hours ago, Moz said:

Sure, it's very on-brand for me. Four and a half years ago at a large LAN party event, a badly secured vinyl poster came loose from a badly-secured A-frame board and landed on the pavement getting rained-on for an hour before I slipped on it and my knee exploded. Then I got sepsis and nearly died a few months later after getting an infection during a resulting reconstructive surgery. They admitted liability pretty quickly and then messed around for literally years before a court date was set. It's a long, tedious story. Today with a week to go before the first court date they decided to pay exactly what I was after to begin with. 

I don't really know why I brought it up here! I'm buzzing on cheap prosecco.

How’s the knee now, Moz?

I see that Dolby Atmos and also the other DTS app are on sale today. I was thinking of picking one up for a nosy. I used the atmos trial app a few years ago and was impressed.  I have Turtle Beach Stealth 600 which says its compatible with Atmos - just wanted to make sure that the DTS app isnt 'better'? I do play at night with headphones, Valhalla at the moment.  Just go for Atmos?

13 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I see that Dolby Atmos and also the other DTS app are on sale today. I was thinking of picking one up for a nosy. I used the atmos trial app a few years ago and was impressed.  I have Turtle Beach Stealth 600 which says its compatible with Atmos - just wanted to make sure that the DTS app isnt 'better'? I do play at night with headphones, Valhalla at the moment.  Just go for Atmos?

I've been using the Atmos trial and last night used the DTS trial, pretty sure I prefer the Atmos - the surround seems to be more impressive.

How much are they in the sale? I have been waiting for them to hit Black Friday but can’t see the price on web store.

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

I've been using the Atmos trial and last night used the DTS trial, pretty sure I prefer the Atmos - the surround seems to be more impressive.

How much are they in the sale? I have been waiting for them to hit Black Friday but can’t see the price on web store.

Atmos £9.96 / DTS £8.37

I think i'll get the Atmos as a check on Turtle Beach website says the 600 support Atmos so going for it. 

58 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Out of interest, how are you finding the Stealth 600 on Series S|X?

Still looking to pick up a headset and the gen 2 version of those TB ones seem pretty reasonably priced. Still look perhaps a little too gamer-y for my tastes but if they sound good then I'd be tempted.

1 hour ago, fattakin said:

The Atmos/DTS plug-ins for the Xbox work with any pair of standard headphones. No need for a fancy headset, and if the one you have is applying additional Atmos processing, you should disable it.

17 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

Still looking to pick up a headset and the gen 2 version of those TB ones seem pretty reasonably priced. Still look perhaps a little too gamer-y for my tastes but if they sound good then I'd be tempted.

I have the Gen 2 600 TB for my Series X and very impressed, highly recommend.  Worth popping in this thread for more feedback on various headsets:

14 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

They are affected by the audio breaking up with the new controller like lots of headsets at the moment. if you are idle on the controller, after 20-30s the audio crackles until you move the controller.  Previous controllers are not affected, hoping a fix will be released. 

I love how they are not connected to the controller, they appear as their own device.  I'm not an audiophile but they sound great.  Fairly popular mid range headset, most of my monday crew have it. 

1 hour ago, fattakin said:

Wow. I was wondering why my amp never displayed Dolby Atmos on it even though it supported it. I didn't even know I needed to download a separate app for the Series X. :blink:

Turns out the Dolby app is free for AV amp support. :omg:

Thanks.

Is there an app or a preferred way of testing these different headphones options?

I did a trial of the dolby thing and it sounds good but it's hard to figure out if it's better. I just wonder if there's a tech demo out there or if people just go into Halo and spin around on the spot or something. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S