Xbox Series X | S

15 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Quick question. 

Do I need to do anything like a system transfer to use the external HDD with the 360 / XB1 games on the new Series S? Or can I just plug it in the box and sign in?

Plug it straight in, there's no issues. 

Finally got my series S setup after a work week from hell.

Everything thrown at it super smooth (bar Disneyland Adventures, weirdly), the box is a nice size and is super quiet. Loading times are great.

I don't really have much issue with the disk size; I've two biggish Xbox One games on there and a whole bunch of indie and smaller games on there. Used to only really playing one major game at a time on Switch, so absolutely fine for me.

Controller feels cheap though, and batteries in 2020? I assume this is only because I'm in the potato edition.

The only Xbox controller with a built in battery is the elite series 2. 

While I have an elite, I do actually quite like the feel of this new revision. In particular they've refined the bumpers to be more rounded and sit a little more nicely under the fingers and I like the textured elements on the triggers too.

55 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Quick question. 

Do I need to do anything like a system transfer to use the external HDD with the 360 / XB1 games on the new Series S? Or can I just plug it in the box and sign in?

Just plug it in. Some stuff will have to update before you can play it. 

I wouldn't say the controller feels cheap, the sticks in particular feel a bit better than the One pad. 

The Biggest Launch in Xbox History, All Thanks to You

by Liz Hamren, CVP, Gaming Experiences & Platforms • Nov 13, 2020 @ 8:00am

Thanks to you, the launch of Xbox Series X|S is now the most successful debut in our history. While we missed the emotional spark of being together with you in person, it was incredible to celebrate a new generation of gaming with the millions on our celebration livestream and everyone who participated in our global launch across 40 countries.

Your support, and what you accomplished in the first 24 hours of launch, inspire us and demonstrate the connective power of play is more important than ever.

More new consoles sold than any prior generation, with Xbox Series S adding the highest percentage of new players for any Xbox console at launch

More games played, 3,594 in total, spanning four generations, setting a record for the most games ever played during an Xbox console launch

Next gen means more ways to discover and play, 70 percent of Series X|S consoles are attached to new and existing Xbox Game Pass members

As none of this would be possible without great games to play, we also want to thank our development partners around the world and congratulate them on their own respective launches this week, including delivering more than 40 new and Optimized games like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Dirt 5, The Falconeer, Tetris Effect: Connected, Watch Dogs: Legion and Yakuza: Like a Dragon to players on day one, 30 of which support Smart Delivery.

We know that not everyone was able to get an Xbox Series X|S immediately and are working tirelessly with our partners around the world to bring as many new consoles to as many of you as possible over time and encourage you to check in with your local retailers directly for more details on availability in your market.

Your early reaction and excitement for the next generation of Xbox has us feeling grateful and energized to continue building the future of gaming with you. On the behalf of Team Xbox: Thank you.

2 hours ago, womble9 said:

If you bought it digitally off the MS store you’ll likely still be able to get a refund (pretty sure you’ve got up to two hrs of playtime)  :).

Thanks for that. Had no idea it was that easy. I’ve done it though I feel a little bit bad for a solo dev and there were bits of it I liked the sound of. I might revisit in a sale or on gamepass. 

48 minutes ago, kensei said:

batteries in 2020?

Surely every home has a set of rechargeable AA batteries these days? And they'll last longer than controllers with built-in batteries. Plus when they run out you simply swap in a fresh pair - no having to plug in cables while you play.

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

It wouldn't turn on earlier. 

I'm scared to try again. I'm on the couch hungover as hell. 

Will maybe need to take a trip to Argos tomorrow.

My experience of Argos customer services is that they absolutely take the piss. 

Which, on this occasion, will be a blessing in surprise. 

2 hours ago, kensei said:

Controller feels cheap though, and batteries in 2020? I assume this is only because I'm in the potato edition.

I actually like have the ability to shove some AA rechargable batteries in when I need to. Also I can replace the batteries when they die easily without taking the controller to bits.

From MS's point of view though it allows them to sell you a play and charge kit... :D However they last for ages and you can easily replace them... I prefer having the choice. 

The whole battery thing is very strange to me.

Explanation, if you put in a play and charge kit, Voilà you now have your built in battery.

Also, the official Series X play and charge kit battery holds a charge of 1400mah, the Dual Sense 1560mah, 2 eneloops rechargeables hold 4000+mah

Options are good.

The only thing i would say is that Xbox game pads should include a play and charge kit as standard, at £54.99 it seems very overpriced compared to the Dual Sense.

Am I going mad? I plugged a pair of headphones into the controller and the audio continues to output to the TV. 

I thought there must be an option in the settings to change this but haven’t been able to find one. 

Edit - nope, it’s actually outputting to both the TV and the headphones. Why on Earth would anyone want to do that?

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Surely every home has a set of rechargeable AA batteries these days? And they'll last longer than controllers with built-in batteries. Plus when they run out you simply swap in a fresh pair - no having to plug in cables while you play.

Who wants the hassle? Even Nintendo don't do batteries any more. 

I love the Switch split controller (and previously Wii / nunchuck) but accept its not for everyone. But the PS4 controller seems way better to me. I assume the dual sense is better still. 

6 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Probably worth putting it through a washing machine cycle to get rid of the piss before you go to return it. 

You joke, but unplugged the Xbox would be totally fine to go through a dishwasher cycle (with no detergent of course).

You'd then have to wait a few days for it to dry.

I've put keyboards, mice, and controllers through dishwasher cycles with no detergent to clean them before.

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Am I going mad? I plugged a pair of headphones into the controller and the audio continues to output to the TV. 

I thought there must be an option in the settings to change this but haven’t been able to find one. 

As far as I know you can’t change that

8 minutes ago, Popo said:

Edit - nope, it’s actually outputting to both the TV and the headphones. Why on Earth would anyone want to do that?

I think you can turn off the sound to your TV via the audio options, you need to set the hdmi audio output to off.

I could boot up my Sx to confirm it but im feeling way to lazy this evening.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S