Xbox Series X | S

9 minutes ago, NoVisAnima said:

No but the battery thing in the kit goes into the battery Bay of the controller so you don't see it. The cable is just black.

Ah, right. So they've changed it from the 360 days where you removed the cover completely and just out the battery pack in it's place.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

It must be that patched games don't need the fast storage, they're just benefitting from from brute force improvements, rather than something that requires the fast storage and uses all of the "velocity architecture" stuff. 

It is very simple: it is all CPU bound. As people who have a PC already could tell you, at some point the speeds of SSD become irrelevant. The gains are so marginal.

What you see is the Series S|X CPU crunching the numbers. Compressing/decompressing at much greater speed.... that's why the BC received such a boost. The old Jaguar CPU would still struggle and take forever, even with the Velocity Architecture. 

Thanks to you, the launch of Xbox Series X|S is now the most successful debut in our history. While we missed the emotional spark of being together with you in person, it was incredible to celebrate a new generation of gaming with the millions on our celebration livestream and everyone who participated in our global launch across 40 countries.

Your support, and what you accomplished in the first 24 hours of launch, inspire us and demonstrate the connective power of play is more important than ever.

• More new consoles sold than any prior generation, with Xbox Series S adding the highest percentage of new players for any Xbox console at launch
  • More games played, 3,594 in total, spanning four generations, setting a record for the most games ever played during an Xbox console launch
  • Next gen means more ways to discover and play, 70 percent of Series X|S consoles are attached to new and existing Xbox Game Pass members

Seems like most existing Xbox users converted to Series X but most new customers are indeed on Series S. 

Also people are really going through their libraries which is also more proof that the strategy is working. 

Source: Xbox Wire

2 hours ago, tronied said:

Is it possible to use a headset like WH-1000XM3's with the XSX? I am just trying to figure out how that would work. If I was playing on my TV downstairs, I could pair it up with my TV and it would be fine. However, my monitor doesn't have that ability so I am looking at other options. I've seen that you can get an audio-out bluetooth adapters, but would that work with just the headset and automatically pairing itself? Anyone have experience doing this?

For the time being I am using the audio-out on the controller and a pair of apple wired headphones, but it would be nice to upgrade.

I bought these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Boom-Microphone-Playstation-Controller-Sennheiser-HD518-598/dp/B07XXRMR3R/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=boom+mic&qid=1605293566&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFRSjZLVVhGMVlEQzgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0MjkzMjcxNzJNM1A1RzNaWUYzJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NTI5OTIyV0VEVE5ORkpaWktWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

For my Bowers and Wilkins Px7 - they're bluetooth noise-cancelly things similar to the Sony's and work like an absolute dream with this adapter - but with an added microphone in case you ever intend to use voice. I'm very surprised at the audio quality coming from the controller, headphones sounds great and even though it's not 'wireless' you're only tethered to the thing in your hand so it's basically as good as. 

7 hours ago, grungekid said:

Hmmm I seem to be able to run my series s patched games from external storage?? I've tested this with a patched Apex Legends and State of Decay 2. Is this normal?

Edit: Shimmyhill sorry I missed your post above. Yeah I'm finding this too...

Ooh that's gonna be a great little QoL feature for me and my lovely little S. Don't mind shuffling stuff between the internal SSD and my bog standard 2TB drive but if I can run directly from it it's basically made up the difference (for me as a non tech-head) of £200 between the S and X.

I seen some folks saying quick resume works even if you unplug the console. 

I did a test and put the power to energy saving after playing Ass Creed. 

Every time I turn it on I get the Xbox splash screen and any game loads up old style with  splash screens and not quick resume. 

Tried it with a few games. Same thing. 

So for me personally energy saving cancels out quick resume. 

Can anyone else give it a try, would like to know it the talk about it always having quick resume are bullshit. 

I’m still having issues with my SX.

Forza Horizon - would load, but black screens whenever I get put in the car. Deleted save file, same thing happens - but splash screens appear. Reinstalling now.

Cod Modern Warfare - doesn’t think I own the game despite the disc being in the machine. Reinstalling now.

Loving everything else though, and why on earth isn’t there a Yakuza thread? It’s brilliant!

13 minutes ago, Ry said:

I seen some folks saying quick resume works even if you unplug the console. 

I did a test and put the power to energy saving after playing Ass Creed. 

Every time I turn it on I get the Xbox splash screen and any game loads up old style with  splash screens and not quick resume. 

Tried it with a few games. Same thing. 

So for me personally energy saving cancels out quick resume. 

Can anyone else give it a try, would like to know it the talk about it always having quick resume are bullshit. 

It definitely works with the power off. I unplugged mine to move it to a different spot and Jedi Fallen Order booted straight up via quick resume. Some games have quick resume disabled at the moment though - r in the case of Vallhalla it works but seems buggy. 

18 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

I’m still having issues with my SX.

Forza Horizon - would load, but black screens whenever I get put in the car. Deleted save file, same thing happens - but splash screens appear. Reinstalling now.

Cod Modern Warfare - doesn’t think I own the game despite the disc being in the machine. Reinstalling now.

Loving everything else though, and why on earth isn’t there a Yakuza thread? It’s brilliant!

I had black screen issue on FH4 and tried same as you, full delete and redownload resolved! I think the issue was caused by having the One S version on external and the ‘upgrade’ on internal.

20 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Does the microphone on the headphones work when you do this?

No, as already mentioned you can buy a lead with an inline mic cheap from Amazon. I used one with my XM2s now on the XM4s.

I'll have a look for you.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It definitely works with the power off. I unplugged mine to move it to a different spot and Jedi Fallen Order booted straight up via quick resume. Some games have quick resume disabled at the moment though - r in the case of Vallhalla it works but seems buggy. 

I did exactly that with Jedi Fallen Order - worked the first time not the second. 

With some of the discussion over instant on mode, fans and power draw Ive noticed something odd. The fan behaviour after turning the series x off depends on the game you were last playing. If I’ve been playing Gears 5 for example the fan continues to run indefinitely (at least several hours). If I’ve been playing Ori or Fallen Order then the fan stops after a short while, I’m assuming when the console has cooled down. Not a large data set but I’m wondering if there is a bug related to quick resume compatible games or something?

9 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

Very interesting DF here on Watch dogs on xbox and it's ray tracing settings.

The long and short of it is that the game uses dynamic resolution at drops to 1440p in night scenes. It also uses custom settings below the PC's medium RT settings (there is no low RT setting on PC and now we know why). However thanks to mods and looking at code we know what settings all consoles use for RT and how to put them onto the PC version and lo and behold we have a goos metric for how powerful the Ray tracing is on series X. It's about the same as the 2060 super maybe a little lower.

Personally that's not too bad on a 450 quid machine. You have what amounts to a good CPU and a mid range GPU.

Also both the PS5 and the series X use exactly the same settings. Pretty much hints at both machines being very close to each other in power.

The irony of this is that the RT looks considerably better at night than it does during the day. Lower resolution helping to hide the ugly dithering-like effect? Honestly when it rains during the day, the last-gen version looked better. Same with the reflections on the river.

Nothing to do with the relative power of either console of course, mostly an art direction thing. Less would have been more in this case.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I bought it thinking and hoping it would be a HD Pilotwings 64 feels affair, but yeah it's shit. Should have read up first but launch hype got to me.

Same. I only did 5 mins but it looked shit. I will give it a go as I don't want to do it a dis-service and to try and justify my £25 impulse purchase. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S