Xbox Series X | S

54 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Is quick resume activated? Its not working for me at all so far between fifa - cold war - dirt 5 which i have on my console

It works for me on fifa - although if you are in an online mode you’ll get disconnected from the server and dropped to the main menu. 

1 hour ago, Jonnycash said:

This has most likely been asked but anyway. On the first boot up of your new xbox series x did it hang on the xbox logo for a good minute with small light flashes at all?

Yes, it did for me. I was following the instructions and had the app open and it asked for a code and I was going what code there,s just a bloody logo.

11 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Yes, it did for me. I was following the instructions and had the app open and it asked for a code and I was going what code there,s just a bloody logo.

The app setup crapped out for me at gamertag sign in, just kept failing. Ended up completing setup on the console.

16 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Is there something you have to explicitly do to enable quick resume on games? It hasn’t worked once for me. I’ve even gone back into the last game I played to see if it would work but it’s making me load the game from scratch everytime. Cant work it out. 

It's a bit borked. Works everytime for tetris but nothing else for me. 

I think the only games I've been playing seem to have quick resume disabled which a bit unfortunate but loading is so fast I've not felt the pain. 

That said I wish forza horizon did have it because I've been having a bit of a session on something like Squadrons or Halo 5 but then a quick drive around on FH4 not even to race, just to explore the roads. 

I think it'll be nice for indies like slay the spire though. Ten minutes while somethings in the oven? Just do a few fights in that, pick up where you left off. It's nice. 

Daft question I can't find an answer to on the internet.

If I'm playing a game on one Xbox, save it, and then play on another Xbox later without closing the game on the first console, does the save sync or will it try to download my save from before I started playing? 

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Makes the game £30, did you also get the £40 one? I may go for Legion or Cyberpunk for £40 esp as have £7 in game points from the series x console...

I did, and I am seriously considering Watchdogs. The whole spiel on the Game website emphasises Smart Delivery, but I seem to recall Ubisoft games not offering this... I’m wrong, aren’t I? 

(Maybe that was EA or Activision I’m thinking of?)

53 minutes ago, hereticboy said:

Daft question I can't find an answer to on the internet.

If I'm playing a game on one Xbox, save it, and then play on another Xbox later without closing the game on the first console, does the save sync or will it try to download my save from before I started playing? 

The save should sync. It happens pretty fast in my experience. 

If you then go back the game on the original Xbox, it’ll make you restart it because it knows that something has changed. 

A strange thing has started happening - the ratio has gone really squished on my TV. I changed the output resolution to 1080p, then bac to 4K and that seems to fix it, but it keeps happening. 

I’ve restarted the telly to see if that helps...

7 hours ago, cowfields said:

That said I wish forza horizon did have it because I've been having a bit of a session on something like Squadrons or Halo 5 but then a quick drive around on FH4 not even to race, just to explore the roads. 

That's odd because it worked for me in Forza Horizon 4. I went and played something else, then clicked on FH4 and the splash screen had the quick resume icon at the top right and it instantly went straight back into the game. 

7 hours ago, Popo said:

A strange thing has started happening - the ratio has gone really squished on my TV. I changed the output resolution to 1080p, then bac to 4K and that seems to fix it, but it keeps happening. 

I’ve restarted the telly to see if that helps...

Tried turning off HDMI CEC if it's enabled (and you don't need it)?

3 hours ago, Escaped said:

Tried turning off HDMI CEC if it's enabled (and you don't need it)?

A restart of the TV seems to have done the job, but yes I did turn on HDMI CEC. I find it to be really useful, hopefully the ratio problem doesn’t crop back up. 

32 minutes ago, ucci said:

Gamecentral are the most impartial games journalists no? 

Metro are awful for it, yes. I saw a couple of tweets and articles from a guy who writes about how great PlayStation is games for a bbc Scotland website who is also terrible for it.

16 hours ago, Mortis said:

would be nice if they would show you what games are currently suspended in quick resume. 

Related to this, being able to see what game(s) are running but not in quick resume would be really handy, as they’re the ones you need to quit to avoid throttling your download speeds.

A “quit all games” button would be very handy now that they just hang around open in the background forever (or do they?)

Also think it would be good if we had the option to select whether we want the non next gen patched version of games. So if some games had minor tweaks we didn't care about we could have the option to keep them unpatched and run them from external storage instead. 

Well, in regards of the disc drie, I stuck in a copy of GTA V, it's scratched to fuck, and on my One X I needed to cycle through 3 different scratched discs to install it.

The Series X read the whole thig first time, so the drive can't be THAT bad :)

19 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

It just dumps the appropriate content from RAM to temporary storage on the SSD and turning off the console doesn't wipe the temporary storage

Yeah, same as hibernating a windows PC really.

It wouldn't work if you had a power cut but so long as it can shut down cleanly it could persist forever.

44 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Well, in regards of the disc drie, I stuck in a copy of GTA V, it's scratched to fuck, and on my One X I needed to cycle through 3 different scratched discs to install it.

The Series X read the whole thig first time, so the drive can't be THAT bad :)

Is it actually installing from the disc or just reading some ID at the start of the disc and then downloading the digital version?

44 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Is it actually installing from the disc or just reading some ID at the start of the disc and then downloading the digital version?

Around 48 GB from the disc, 28GB over the internet, it tells you when installing how much of each is done.

I got an S on launch day but, since putting in the pre-order, had a nagging doubt that I should have gone for the X.  On their own, 4K / disc drive / bigger storage weren't that big a deal, but I felt I'd probably get an X at some point.

After missing out on the extra launch day stock, I took it as a sign to stick with the S, which I was perfectly happy with.  But then I checked Stockinformer at about 12.15am on Thursday morning and they said Amazon had stock.  I managed to get one, and it arrived today.

If nothing else, it's removed the nagging doubt, and the compulsive checking of Stockinformer.  Now all I need is a 4K TV.

BTW - if anyone wants a code for £10 off a controller at Amazon, drop me a PM.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

It's an interesting point though, BC could actually "rescue" scratched disks.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S