Xbox Series X | S

6 hours ago, Ry said:

Tetris Effect Connected might be the perfect game. It's amazing. 

I've said it before but seriously, it's a VR game you can play on a flat screen rather than the other way round, if you ever get the chance to play it in VR with good headphones, do it.

Just had my first genuine next gen moment as opposed to an engineered one while testing things out.

It was on FIFA of all things. I thought I’d have a quick game before bed and subconsciously prepared myself for all the frustrated clicking that accompanies starting that game up, but no! I’d forgotten. Bang, straight to the ‘next game’ screen of the Libertadores tournament I’d started earlier and in. This really is ‘life changing’ for me. I play a game every day or two but usually only one so eliminating the faff around it is a huge deal. 

7 hours ago, gooner4life said:

That's not what the other videos looked like though, the smoke was funnelled out of the top and not all around where somebody had just exhaled a large puff on a vape

It is. They've just been more careful and waiting till the smoke around the bottom has all dissipated or been born up out of the top. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I've said it before but seriously, it's a VR game you can play on a flat screen rather than the other way round, if you ever get the chance to play it in VR with good headphones, do it.

This is now on my list. In VR on my PC. Not sure if the GP version supports VR. I'll give it a try who knows. Otherwise it will have to wait spent far too much money this month on gaming already... :D 

EDIT. The game will support VR on the PC.  AWESOME. Happy to wait and practice on the flat screen for now... :D

image.png.69f7f3a97a0c41d6b0137f12af1606d1.png

I was tempted to buy an xbox series x on sale yesterday but I'm still a bit offput by the size and more so the WAF. I was pretty surprised to see it on sale on day 2 though. It was 11% off for singles day so possibly there might be deals on black friday as well.

Edited by crocked
1 hour ago, crocked said:

I was tempted to buy an xbox series x on sale yesterday but I'm still a bit offput by the size and more so the WAF. I was pretty surprised to see it on sale on day 2 though. It was 11% off for singles day so possibly there might be deals on black friday as well.

WAF?

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

This is now on my list. In VR on my PC. Not sure if the GP version supports VR. I'll give it a try who knows. Otherwise it will have to wait spent far too much money this month on gaming already... :D 

EDIT. The game will support VR on the PC.  AWESOME. Happy to wait and practice on the flat screen for now... :D

image.png.69f7f3a97a0c41d6b0137f12af1606d1.png

Sweet, yeah totally do it when they get it there.  Hopefully those challenges don't stop it being as good as the earlier "Epic Store" version.

It's a good "Block everything out" stress reliever.

20 hours ago, therearerules said:

Anybody else having trouble with the Gamepass app? Trying to remotely install games and just getting'waiting for console' followed by error messages.

Got home to discover some things had downloaded, but some had paused. Think I'll go through the Xbox app on future.

12 hours ago, Pockets said:

Just had my first genuine next gen moment as opposed to an engineered one while testing things out.

It was on FIFA of all things. I thought I’d have a quick game before bed and subconsciously prepared myself for all the frustrated clicking that accompanies starting that game up, but no! I’d forgotten. Bang, straight to the ‘next game’ screen of the Libertadores tournament I’d started earlier and in. This really is ‘life changing’ for me. I play a game every day or two but usually only one so eliminating the faff around it is a huge deal. 

Yes this is brilliant. I’m jumping between FIFA and Titanfall 2 at the minute, without instant resume this would be an absolute chore. Love it. 

I had an original xbox back in the day, skipped most of the 360/PS3 gen (I later got a cheap used 360 for the Cave Shmups and a couple of other downloadable arcade games). Had a PS4/PC/Wii U/Switch for the previous gen and had absolutely zero desire to buy an xbox one. I'm seriously tempted by the Series S at the moment.

Main reason is just the tiny size of the console. I had been looking at small form factor pcs and the prices are ridiculous so the series s seems like a good deal in comparison. Also gamepass seems impressive. PS5 is huge and I'm generally not really a fan of Sony's Playstation exclusives so I'm not bothered about missing those.

I don't care about 1080 or 1440 vs 4k(I don't have a 4k screen), but I'm a bit worried that series s will end up with a bunch of games running at 30fps vs 60fps on the series x. If the trade off is just resolution I'll happily get the series s.

Apparently I'm the only person on the planet with a regular Xbox one S so it's largely irrelevant. But now everyone is Series S or X or whatever, they've updated everything and I've noticed the dashboard (Is it still called that?) has gone to complete buggeration, plus my controller last night decided to act all Exorcist. All the buttons worked apart from "A", and the sensitivity of the sticks went all "Modern gamer", I nearly fell off my chesterfield.

Anyway a restart seemed to fix it, but as I wasn't able to get a Series X I hope all your bandwidths are effected at peak times, or something. :angry:

8 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

Apparently I'm the only person on the planet with a regular Xbox one S so it's largely irrelevant. But now everyone is Series S or X or whatever, they've updated everything and I've noticed the dashboard (Is it still called that?) has gone to complete buggeration, plus my controller last night decided to act all Exorcist. All the buttons worked apart from "A", and the sensitivity of the sticks went all "Modern gamer", I nearly fell off my chesterfield.

Anyway a restart seemed to fix it, but as I wasn't able to get a Series X I hope all your bandwidths are effected at peak times, or something. :angry:

:) Contrary to your prediction my series X seems to be quicker than my last Xbox at downloading. MS seemed to have done well in managing connectivity and bandwidth allocation. No problems here. In fact everything is better. :D 

Has anyone got remote play to work? I tap the option in the app and it asks me to turn on and sign into the console, then says press enable on your console to get connected... then just waits there like that. Nothing pops up on the console, and if I go to settings > devices and connections > remote features, I can see ‘enable remote features’ is already switched on. I tried disabling and re-enabling, but the app just hangs there. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

My X seems to be running quite hot. Worryingly so. And its only on standby. 

How hot?

On standby (instant on) it still gives out a little heat from the top. The top is a tiny bit warm, presumably because it’s still got power running through the circuits. The fan should not be running unless it’s downloading stuff. 

In gaming operation the heat will kick up a gear. You wouldn’t want to touch the box but if you did you wouldn’t be burning yourself either. 

Quick Resume is amazing, I had to move the console into another room to position it closer to the router, moved it back to the TV room and was back in a game of Halo CE seconds after it had rebooted. Unbelievably quick.

Gamepass is just incredible, so much I want to try but playing Halo again is just too addictive. A timeless masterpiece.

20 minutes ago, Popo said:

Has anyone got remote play to work? I tap the option in the app and it asks me to turn on and sign into the console, then says press enable on your console to get connected... then just waits there like that. Nothing pops up on the console, and if I go to settings > devices and connections > remote features, I can see ‘enable remote features’ is already switched on. I tried disabling and re-enabling, but the app just hangs there. 

If you are using then Xbox Console Companion app on PC it doesn’t currently support Series S or X.

Remote play does work on the iOS app though (and presumably the Android one) but only for games that are in the cloud service

I've put mine into energy saving mode since realising the fans were running 24/7 if you have it on Instant On mode on mine. Half the people complaining in Restera's big troubleshooting thread seem to have complaints related to Instant On. It still boots pretty quick and I really don't like idea of a physical component constantly going in terms of wear and tear, I'll just have to make sure I switch it on in advance for big patches now.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S