Xbox Series X | S

17 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

I've mainly been playing Skate 3 haha.

I also installed the Criterion Channel and watched The Host last night. The app wasn't available on the PS4. So with GamePass and Criterion Channel it's like an all you can eat buffet of games and movies for a pretty reasonable cost. Not sure if the app is available in the UK or not. 

35 minutes ago, pledge said:

Is there any way to force quit a game that's using quick resume? Other than starring multiple other games. Jedi Fallen Order was working perfectly, but Yakuza 7 just hanging on the splash screen.

Press start on the icon on the dashboard and select quit. 

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/man-says-new-xbox-turned-19260497

This poor fella has got himself a duff Xbox. Just look at his sad face. He was really looking forward to playing Call of Duty: Assassin’s Creed as well.

Christ. Imagine being a local reporter and having to right that. Man buys faulty appliance. 

With Tetris Effect it didn't quick resume if I left it in multiplayer mode (not that I could connect to any games but that's another story), but it did if I left it in the middle of a single player on the game/on a menu. Wonder if that holds true for other games with multiplayer modes. 

I redownloaded Forza Horizon 4 off GPU last night and started playing at the ‘ready’ point, but when my save recognised an undownloaded event as local it left me stuck on its installation screen, waiting for x% of the whole game until I've received that one event to continue.

Might have missed it but has anyone tried either of the only X/S exclusive games available at launch yet, namely Bright Memory and Observer (which, granted, is more or less a "Remaster")?

Keen on trying Bright Memory as its cheap and looks fun (I know its a glorified demo and the real deal is hitting with Ray Tracing, early next year). Also easy cheevo's.

5 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Might have missed it but has anyone tried either of the only X/S exclusive games available at launch yet, namely Bright Memory and Observer (which, granted, is more or less a "Remaster")?

Keen on trying Bright Memory as its cheap and looks fun (I know its a glorified demo and the real deal is hitting with Ray Tracing, early next year). Also easy cheevo's.

Ive tried BM and found it all over the place. Bad controls & inconsistent UI. That’s from 15 mins of game time. Ill go back to it though.

The use of a cursor on the menu system really annoyed me, especially when it slowed to 25% speed.

4 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

It is basically a clone of the modern Xcom games.

And a streamlined clone at that. There's no base management at all, there's no randomisation around base level stats for recruits, and the progression of missions is mostly linear (with some choice in the side missions you do in between the main story missions). 

That said, the skill trees are more varied which is good, but that is almost entirely counteracted by all the faff around picking up crates on the field that contain armour and weapon mods conveying passive and/or stat improvements and the management thereof. It's fun but it's no XCom.

10 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Ive tried BM and found it all over the place. Bad controls & inconsistent UI. That’s from 15 mins of game time. Ill go back to it though.

The use of a cursor on the menu system really annoyed me, especially when it slowed to 25% speed.

I felt the same about a quick stab at Bright Memory. Looks totally lifted off PC. Controls all over the place and that bloody curser. Didn’t think it looked that amazing either but need to go back to it.

49 minutes ago, Majora said:

With Tetris Effect it didn't quick resume if I left it in multiplayer mode (not that I could connect to any games but that's another story), but it did if I left it in the middle of a single player on the game/on a menu. Wonder if that holds true for other games with multiplayer modes. 

Logically this seems like what you’d expect given online activities need to reconnect to the servers and resync. Maybe over time they’ll find better ways to handle it but in the end you probably end up back at a lobby when resuming multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

ive got observer ready to play soon

31 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

And a streamlined clone at that. There's no base management at all, there's no randomisation around base level stats for recruits, and the progression of missions is mostly linear (with some choice in the side missions you do in between the main story missions). 

That said, the skill trees are more varied which is good, but that is almost entirely counteracted by all the faff around picking up crates on the field that contain armour and weapon mods conveying passive and/or stat improvements and the management thereof. It's fun but it's no XCom.

That's all what makes it more like Mario and Rabbids. Which is a good thing. 

I massively prefer how overwatch works in Gears Tactics compared to Xcom. You set a vision cone where you will shoot at anyone who enters that cone (and the same applies to the ai). 

Means you can set up tactical fields of fire when waves of enemies come at you (a type of gameplay xcom really can't do well which evokes Horde Mode from the main Gears games), conversely you need to carefully plan out flanking manouvers when attacking. The other thing that shocked me, in a good way, is that Gears has friendly fire. I didn't know this, so I had a guy being melee attacked and did the usual xcom thing of openin up on the enemy with the mulcher and downed my teammate instead. 

Oh and the levels are more authored than the semi-procedural levels of xcom, which means more interesting tactical encounters. 

Also it must be said it runs so much better than xcom 2 ever did. 

I adore Xcom 2 post war of the chosen (was disappointed in the initial version), but for all the stuff from that game Gears doesn't do, it does a lot of things much better. 

Just now, CarloOos said:

I wonder how the X-Com 2 port runs on the SX.

I might dig out my disc copy and try it. Once the current installation queue is thinned out - in a few days haha. 

I don't have wotc on xbox, just ps4 and switch, that might make a difference. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S