Xbox Series X | S

Collected my Series X from GAME this morning but there was a mess up with the suppliers so no W Dogs Legion that I paid for (at a reduced rate).  So looks like I will have to wait until they open the stores in Dec to sort out a refund if no stock by then but hey ho, will get sorted.  Amazon emailed to say the PowerA play and chare kit is delayed to December so cancelled that and ordered online with GAME instead. Got to still pick up Valhalla from Smyths.  Busy day and I need to work too! :D

7 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Got mine last night at game. I’ve been updating games and moving stuff to the SSD ever since.... Might get to actually play something soon :) Brace yourself for a lot of waiting....

You know you can leave all your non-Series games on the SSD right?

Hello, it's Mr Piss On Your Chips, from the delivery thread.

My console has suffered the dreaded Amazon delay email fate, and they also couldn't even deliver my separately ordered play and charge kit.

I'm genuinely mulling over whether to delay playing Destiny 2 Beyond Light when it launches at 6pm tonight so I can fully enjoy its speedy newness on the Series X or if that would just be martyring myself.

5 minutes ago, tnman said:

Hello, it's Mr Piss On Your Chips, from the delivery thread.

My console has suffered the dreaded Amazon delay email fate, and they also couldn't even deliver my separately ordered play and charge kit.

I'm genuinely mulling over whether to delay playing Destiny 2 Beyond Light when it launches at 6pm tonight so I can fully enjoy its speedy newness on the Series X or if that would just be martyring myself.

Better to play on the Old system so you can really appreciate the benefits of the new one, perhaps. 

Could be a kick in the teeth if you don't really notice the difference, however. 

PSA I guess, maybe this is obvious, but when logging into my S with my 8 year old Live account, I was disappointed to not find my old digital 360 games listed in my library BUT on going to the backwards compatibility section of the store scrolling through I could see the ones I bought back in the day as Owned and could re-download them from there. Weird but pleasedI found them.

There's something I really like about the way the Series S looks.

I might buy one to just sit, unplugged, in front of the Series X.

Random question that I've not been able to get a clear answer on - can you use the new Xbox controllers on android phones? eg for the streaming service? Either USB-C or bluetooth connected or is there some driver reason why not?

Likewise I assume that they're just plug and play for Windows...you never know, I might play the odd indie game on my desktop. Although I think the XSX is a bit of a deathknell for my aging windows PC - I think I might just wipe it and run it as a Plex / dropbox / file server because that's about all it's going to get used for now. I've got two Macbooks (mine, and my work laptop) for anything officey now. 

3 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Random question that I've not been able to get a clear answer on - can you use the new Xbox controllers on android phones? eg for the streaming service? Either USB-C or bluetooth connected or is there some driver reason why not?

Yes, via bluetooth. There are a number of holders available that will clamp your phone to your controller.

4 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I don't know the answer but there's no reason they wouldn't make it as easy as possible to use their controllers on their streaming service. 

Just now, NickC said:

Yes, via bluetooth. There are a number of holders available that will clamp your phone to your controller.

I caved on the Amazon £10 voucher to get a blue controller so I could feel good when playing any Sega games, but I don't really know why else, but I rather fancy the idea of having that 'elsewhere' in the house to do a bit of streamy-gaming. Or if I ever, you know, left the house.

18 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

That can be run from USB storage if you need the space. 

Yeah I'll do that if I need to, I'm not the sort that has a ton of games stacked up at any one time though.

Out of interest, with Gamepass what happens if I'm in the middle of something when it gets taken off the service? Does it get immediately uninstalled? Can I carry on playing it if I have it installed? Do I at least get to keep my saves?

5 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Out of interest, with Gamepass what happens if I'm in the middle of something when it gets taken off the service? Does it get immediately uninstalled? Can I carry on playing it if I have it installed? Do I at least get to keep my saves?

The game is still installed, but won't let you load it up. There's usually about 2 weeks noticed before a game leaves the service which means you can buy the game with a Gamepass discount beforehand if you want to. Your saves will be safe regardless. 

12 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

The game is still installed, but won't let you load it up. There's usually about 2 weeks noticed before a game leaves the service which means you can buy the game with a Gamepass discount beforehand if you want to. Your saves will be safe regardless. 

What kind of discount are we talking about?

Bought one this morning, was not supposed to but managed to grab the last one they had on the pallet so thought what the heck. :D

Not sure what to play, downloaded No Mans Sky as I saw that was optimized for Series X. Have that on PS4 so something to compare with.

14 hours ago, deerokus said:

I cancelled planet coaster with amazon (forgot it was coming to game pass) and ordered assassin's creed instead. Cancellation went through but they still sent it out. Maybe a free game

I'd check the order your account screen. They normally expect refunds returned within X days or they'll charge you.

4 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I'd check the order your account screen. They normally expect refunds returned within X days or they'll charge you.

It seems they stopped it before delivery after all, hasn't moved from the final delivery station. Saves the hassle of doing a return. 

Has anyone tried EA Play yet? I had a look earlier, but when I went to install a game it gave me a error. I had a look at my subscriptions, but it’s trying to get me to pay for it, even though I’d just been in the app!

Also, is the version of Crysis on there the remaster? It’s saying I’ve already got it installed, but that’s the 360 version.

38 minutes ago, DumbMagician said:

What kind of discount are we talking about?

It depends on the game, but don't be confused with what @mdn2 has posted, which is the 'standard' discount that applies just for being a member of Gamepass.

Any active game on the service will have a discount as standard (usually 10% I think, but some might have more) but when leaving Gamepass there will be a different discount if you want to buy the game at that point. I think it's normally a decent bit higher than the standard one - I'm sure I've seen 30%+ before.

Just now, JPL said:

Has anyone tried EA Play yet? I had a look earlier, but when I went to install a game it gave me a error. I had a look at my subscriptions, but it’s trying to get me to pay for it, even though I’d just been in the app!

Also, is the version of Crysis on there the remaster? It’s saying I’ve already got it installed, but that’s the 360 version.

Do you have Game Pass ultimate or just GP? EA play only included with the former 

1 minute ago, JPL said:

D1E49E83-2603-4BE6-BED5-3A756863BF5F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Do you have Game Pass ultimate or just GP? EA play only included with the former 

Ultimate (for the next 3 years)

Weird that it lets me boot the app and browse the games even though on my subs page it’s telling me to pay. I haven’t rebooted yet as I’m installing Destiny, but I’ll try that once it’s done.

41 minutes ago, pledge said:

iPlayer app doesn't work with Series X. Shows me as incompatible. Is there meant to be an Apple TV+ app yet?

Iplayer isn't supported yet. Sounds like BBC being awkward as usual. As for EA Play, should be able to install through my games and apps full library screen, avoid the app entirely.