Xbox Series X | S

13 minutes ago, sprite said:

I’ve made space! Shifted TV and soundbox over.  Dunno if I’ll go vertical or horizontal yet and the Switch can shifty around if need be.

FB9449B9-68E7-4167-9659-0015C99DC737.jpeg

82C09757-BA51-42B1-9EA6-C398F154F48F.jpeg

If you’ve got the verticality for it then I would say it has to go vertically. Horizontal is surely only a situation of if needs must?

Mine is going out in the open to the right next to the TV and set slightly back. 

9DAED008-E725-4BA4-ACCE-4D94A9C774B0.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

If you’ve got the verticality for it then I would say it has to go vertically. Horizontal is surely only a situation of if needs must?

Mine is going out in the open to the right next to the TV and set slightly back. 

9DAED008-E725-4BA4-ACCE-4D94A9C774B0.jpeg

If I go vertical, I think I’ll move the TV over to the other side of the bench as the Xbox might obstruct view from the other side of the room (open living/dining room).  It’s no big fuss either way. Ooh, excite!

Copying a bunch of games over to my external SSD now.

Also - do we know anything about whether NFS: Hot Pursuit can take full and proper advantage of the better hardware yet?

1 hour ago, sprite said:

If I go vertical, I think I’ll move the TV over to the other side of the bench as the Xbox might obstruct view from the other side of the room (open living/dining room).  It’s no big fuss either way. Ooh, excite!

Copying a bunch of games over to my external SSD now.

Also - do we know anything about whether NFS: Hot Pursuit can take full and proper advantage of the better hardware yet?

I don’t believe there are any Series S | X enhancements for the remastered version of NFS Hot Pursuit.

Sorry if this has been covered, but how is Jedi Fallen Order expected to run on the Series S? Reading this article implies it will have the One X enhancements of 4K/30 or 1080/60 even on Series S, but I thought games wouldn't necessarily have access to the One X performance modes. Has anyone else confirmed this?

https://www.windowscentral.com/ea-details-various-next-gen-xbox-series-x-series-s-enhancements?amp

12 minutes ago, Swallow said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but how is Jedi Fallen Order expected to run on the Series S? Reading this article implies it will have the One X enhancements of 4K/30 or 1080/60 even on Series S, but I thought games wouldn't necessarily have access to the One X performance modes. Has anyone else confirmed this?

https://www.windowscentral.com/ea-details-various-next-gen-xbox-series-x-series-s-enhancements?amp

Probably not a performance patch, just the much faster cpu smooths out the framerate problems.

16 minutes ago, Swallow said:

It should run at 720p/30 on Series S, as the One S version didn't have selectable performance profiles.

Given the game's just about to be added to Access, and Microsoft has their Game Pass deal with EA, I suppose it might get patched. I feel like that would have been mentioned in EA's blog post, though.

Doing some digging and this article seems to suggest it should at least get double the frame rate with a seemingly trivial developer update:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-this-is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works

However, there is one more feature that Microsoft has only mentioned in passing - and now we know more details, we're excited by it: the idea that select Xbox One titles will run at double the frame-rate on the new consoles, including Series S.

"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

So 720/60 as the worst case scenario plus the standard Series additions of Auto HDR and faster loading times. I can't see any reason the Series S wouldn't be capable of 1080/60. I found the One S version (klaxon sound) literally unplayable.

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

While that's obviously a lot quicker, it does show up "Quick resume is worthless" for the utter bollocks it is when it's still well over a minute to get to any gameplay.

But, but there was about 10 pages in the PS5 thread saying how much it didn't matter!

7 hours ago, carlospie said:

If anyone is looking to sell their one x, cex will give you 155 pounds and play for the postage. I imagine come Tuesday these things will be largely worthless. Iv got mine ready to sell on Monday via this method and the price is guaranteed for 7 days. 

bandt.jpg.334a95cf6771b0f768c8b5583117f8ff.jpg

?

Quite a few people are flogging XB1Xs in the Trading folder for £150, or thereabouts. I'm tempted to pick up one as a GamePass machine. Apart from the lack of the SSD, am I right in thinking that the XB1X is actually more powerful than the Series S?

15 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

, am I right in thinking that the XB1X is actually more powerful than the Series S?

No. Similar in some respects but the cpu is massively better on the series s. There will be games that run like shit on one x that are very smooth on series s. 

10 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I think it would be correct to say it'll do nice XB1 games, many bumped to 4k, but I don't think it would make a better 1080p machine and anything Series optimized is going to look better? 

Framerate will/should be better for Xbox One games but they wont include any high res textures or resolution bumps that the One X received because it's got less VRAM, but you're right anything built for this gen should be better on the Series S than it is on One X

Thanks all. I was thinking of getting it mostly to mop up the current-gen releases I've missed out on, more than upcoming stuff, but, really, I've got my PC that can do that, so I don't need one. It's just the cheapness that's tempting me! Still haven't decided between XSX or PS5 yet.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks all. I was thinking of getting it mostly to mop up the current-gen releases I've missed out on, more than upcoming stuff, but, really, I've got my PC that can do that, so I don't need one. It's just the cheapness that's tempting me! Still haven't decided between XSX or PS5 yet.

If you have a beast PC then a PS5 is the obvious choice, my PC still doing 1080p at acceptable frame rates is the only reason I don't have a Series X pre-ordered alongside my PS5.

9 hours ago, carlospie said:

If anyone is looking to sell their one x, cex will give you 155 pounds and play for the postage. I imagine come Tuesday these things will be largely worthless. Iv got mine ready to sell on Monday via this method and the price is guaranteed for 7 days. 

I'm half tempted to sell mine in this way, I am loathe to sell on ebay and so would rather sell here or to a shop.  

The question is, is trading at cex worth doing? I still have the box for my console which they offer £170-odd for which I'd be happy to add the difference to to pick up a storage card, but I don't know if I'll be waiting 6 months or more for one to come up...

Just now, Wahwah* said:

I'm half tempted to sell mine in this way, I am loathe to sell on ebay and so would rather sell here or to a shop.  

The question is, is trading at cex worth doing? I still have the box for my console which they offer £170-odd for which I'd be happy to add the difference to to pick up a storage card, but I don't know if I'll be waiting 6 months or more for one to come up...

CEX are fine. Although they are only offering £120 cash now for Bone X's

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

If you have a beast PC then a PS5 is the obvious choice, my PC still doing 1080p at acceptable frame rates is the only reason I don't have a Series X pre-ordered alongside my PS5.

This was my original thinking - PC and PS5 - but even though my PC is comparable to an XSX in terms of power, I still prefer the convenience of a console.

Just now, Jamie John said:

This was my original thinking - PC and PS5 - but even though my PC is comparable to an XSX in terms of power, I still prefer the convenience of a console.

Yeah no doubt, but you want it for Gamepass, gamepass on PC is all Windows Store apps so it's literally like playing on console.

4 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

CEX are fine. Although they are only offering £120 cash now for Bone X's

Yes, I was talking about the trade figure, that's what I meant, is it worth getting a credit note there? I have never shopped there so I'm not sure what their stock levels of newer things (like the memory expansion I mentioned) might be like. 

Just now, Wahwah* said:

Yes, I was talking about the trade figure, that's what I meant, is it worth getting a credit note there? I have never shopped there so I'm not sure what their stock levels of newer things (like the memory expansion I mentioned) might be like. 

Oh, I see. I dunno. They don't get new stock so it depends how many people are flogging them stuff.

9 hours ago, Plissken said:

Just watched that DJS video.  Christ, that is ridiculously quick.  Also: I've watched a lot of time waiting for FH4 to load stuff.  I wonder what the loading time is on my base XBone.

It's actually better than it looks in the video, you can skip the splash screens around the end of the Playground Games one and save quite a bit of time.

8 hours ago, djbhammer said:

That’s not right. GAME accept consoles too in trade ins. I took

my One X to them for £145 credit a few weeks ago which I used to pay for my Series X.

You can't though, trade in hard drives or keyboards or monitors or PCs at GAME.