Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

9 hours ago, carlospie said:

If anyone is looking to sell their one x, cex will give you 155 pounds and play for the postage. I imagine come Tuesday these things will be largely worthless. Iv got mine ready to sell on Monday via this method and the price is guaranteed for 7 days. 

I'm half tempted to sell mine in this way, I am loathe to sell on ebay and so would rather sell here or to a shop.  

The question is, is trading at cex worth doing? I still have the box for my console which they offer £170-odd for which I'd be happy to add the difference to to pick up a storage card, but I don't know if I'll be waiting 6 months or more for one to come up...

Just now, Wahwah* said:

I'm half tempted to sell mine in this way, I am loathe to sell on ebay and so would rather sell here or to a shop.  

The question is, is trading at cex worth doing? I still have the box for my console which they offer £170-odd for which I'd be happy to add the difference to to pick up a storage card, but I don't know if I'll be waiting 6 months or more for one to come up...

CEX are fine. Although they are only offering £120 cash now for Bone X's

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

If you have a beast PC then a PS5 is the obvious choice, my PC still doing 1080p at acceptable frame rates is the only reason I don't have a Series X pre-ordered alongside my PS5.

This was my original thinking - PC and PS5 - but even though my PC is comparable to an XSX in terms of power, I still prefer the convenience of a console.

Just now, Jamie John said:

This was my original thinking - PC and PS5 - but even though my PC is comparable to an XSX in terms of power, I still prefer the convenience of a console.

Yeah no doubt, but you want it for Gamepass, gamepass on PC is all Windows Store apps so it's literally like playing on console.

4 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

CEX are fine. Although they are only offering £120 cash now for Bone X's

Yes, I was talking about the trade figure, that's what I meant, is it worth getting a credit note there? I have never shopped there so I'm not sure what their stock levels of newer things (like the memory expansion I mentioned) might be like. 

Just now, Wahwah* said:

Yes, I was talking about the trade figure, that's what I meant, is it worth getting a credit note there? I have never shopped there so I'm not sure what their stock levels of newer things (like the memory expansion I mentioned) might be like. 

Oh, I see. I dunno. They don't get new stock so it depends how many people are flogging them stuff.

9 hours ago, Plissken said:

Just watched that DJS video.  Christ, that is ridiculously quick.  Also: I've watched a lot of time waiting for FH4 to load stuff.  I wonder what the loading time is on my base XBone.

It's actually better than it looks in the video, you can skip the splash screens around the end of the Playground Games one and save quite a bit of time.

8 hours ago, djbhammer said:

That’s not right. GAME accept consoles too in trade ins. I took

my One X to them for £145 credit a few weeks ago which I used to pay for my Series X.

You can't though, trade in hard drives or keyboards or monitors or PCs at GAME.

26 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Oh, I see. I dunno. They don't get new stock so it depends how many people are flogging them stuff.

I always got the impression their stock of new releases relied heavily on the “You’ll give me £20 for these five copies of a game released today that I definitely didn’t just nick from HMV? Yeah, alright” crowd, so I’m  not sure how they’ll fare in lockdown.

So call of duty Cold War at simply games is £62.85 for the series X version and £54.85 for the Xbox one version.

But am I right in thinking there’s no difference besides the box? Is the disc is the same?

Or at least the disc for the cheaper version will allow access to the series x version?

8 hours ago, bear said:

For Call of Duty you need to buy the Series X disc. 

So the Xbox one disc just works on the machine? It doesn’t give the next gen bells and whistles?

What about AC Valhalla? I can only see on version for that.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

So the Xbox one disc just works on the machine? It doesn’t give the next gen bells and whistles?

What about AC Valhalla? I can only see on version for that.

Valhalla has free smart delivery so you just buy the one retail version and you will get the next gen shinies.

Call of Duty is not part of smart delivery so you have to fork out a ridiculous amount to buy the separate next gen version. 

Decisions on smart delivery for third party games are left to the publishers to decide. Xbox Game Studios titles that are Optimised for Xbox Series X will all support Smart Delivery. 

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks all. I was thinking of getting it mostly to mop up the current-gen releases I've missed out on, more than upcoming stuff, but, really, I've got my PC that can do that, so I don't need one. It's just the cheapness that's tempting me! Still haven't decided between XSX or PS5 yet.

I guess it depends how much you can live without the PS5 exclusives and how much you value the convenience of a console for Game Pass stuff - as you've got a beefy PC, all the Microsoft first party stuff will probably run great on it.

I don't really want to spend £900 right out the gates and I still have my One X, so am going PS5 for the time being. I'm going to wait to see how the Series S stacks up over the longer term before choosing. I think Halo Infinite will almost certainly be next year, so will decide then. If 120Hz becomes more common, then an S might suit me better, as my B7 only does 1080p120, anyway.

Honestly, I've just been skim reading the thread looking for Darren's next picture :D

I keep getting twitchy feelings (FOMO I suppose) and have to keep reminding myself that I have a very capable PC and a PS5 on order and I really don't need an X as well! 

Looking forward to everyone's day one experiences! :)

11 hours ago, auntyclimax said:

Watch Dogs Legions Series patch is live, looking forward to impressions tomorrow.

On the plus side, the quicker loading means you'll be able to play so much more of it in the 15 minutes between crashes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-11-07/microsoft-sets-sights-on-sony-s-home-turf-in-game-console-clash?__twitter_impression=true

On top of that, there’s evidence Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in the country, though it hasn’t yet landed a deal with a big name there. Several Japan-based game developers, from small to big, said it had approached them about buying their businesses. They asked not to be identified as the talks were private, and declined to give details on how the discussions went.

604474-Xbox-Shock-Blue-controller.jpg

Apologies if seen. I know that it seems variable and shit publishers like Activision (no smart delivery either) don’t seem to be bothering but these size differences are good to see to reduce space needed on an S. 

5633E882-D692-45B8-8B5A-761FEB1F70CB.jpeg

Although tomorrow is new Xbox eve (Series X-mas eve?), in real and practical terms Wednesday is when I’ll really be playing on it, so I’m trying to to get too excited.

So far, I’m failing in those efforts. 

I really think that the Series S Genuine Concerns™ will settle down:

Choppy, inconsistent frame rates,  not enough storage space, all these things that have put people off their preorders - feel like they're a case of QA rather than things just not being possible. 

I guess it will depend a little on how many Series S end up being sold (over time, could be more than X) as to whether publishers feel like its important to invest time into that QA. But hopefully as we end up with more games released post Series and less games that were Xbox One games, it should calm down.

19 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Apologies if seen. I know that it seems variable and shit publishers like Activision (no smart delivery either) don’t seem to be bothering but these size differences are good to see to reduce space needed on an S. 

5633E882-D692-45B8-8B5A-761FEB1F70CB.jpeg

That's good. It indicates that the Series S is a proper, thought out offering and not just a cheaper, weaker model.

What the hell is Sea of Thieves doing on the X with almost triple the download size?!

It may just be a temporary issue though. As storage prices fall, and Microsoft possible show third parties to produce SSD drives for the Series consoles, I would expect capacities to rise and prices to fall in the future.

Interestingly, despite having a slower SSD, some third party last gen games seem to load faster on Series X than PS5. This is despite not being patched for the velocity architecture, and presumably, loading in higher quality textures (One X versions rather than PS4 Pro versions).

Gamespot put FFXV at 43s on SX, 1:10 on PS5

MonHun World at 29s (SX) and 53s on PS5.