Xbox Series X | S

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Quick resume doesn't work on Sea of Thieves ? I assumed my crew would hear a large siren go off to inform them I'm coming back online. Then they can resume friggin' in the riggin.

That's so shit....

I doubt it'll work for any game that's played online, things like Destiny for example.

4 minutes ago, sandman said:

Argos have screwed up my order!

I take it I’m buggered then? Nobody doing any late preorders for an X?

How did they screw up? 

(still waiting for an argos email here) 

It seems too early to be jumping on  ‘the S looks shit’ bandwagon but I understand why some are cancelling. Personally I’d rather have an X but I haven’t got a 4K tv and I’m about to buy a flat, money is tight.

I was going to wait before buying a Series S/X but my One X broke a couple of weeks before pre order opened and it seemed crazy to get it fixed. All Access went to shit on ore-order and I couldn’t get an X as they’d sold out. 

I want a disc console (second hand games, I need a player) so I will sell the S next year and trade up. 

game pass, fast loading and improved output will do me for the time being. 

Fallen Order should be mint with a better frame rate. 

My day one installs/games to flick through is looking like this. These are games that  I haven’t played yet or have part played and waited on the X for better frame rate/loading times:

Assassins Creed: Valhalla

The Falconeer

Gears Tactics

Gears 5

Alan Isolation

Wasteland 3

Ori & The Will of the Wisps

Eastshade

Forza Horizon 

Forza 7

Carto

Halo MCC

Batman Arkham Knight

Fable Anniversary

FF 15

Mass Effect Andromeda (EA Play)

A Way Out (EA Play)

No games etc.

15 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

There’s no chance the PS4 could run it. It looks properly mind blowing in terms of graphics.

We'll just have to assume he hasn't seen it. Seems to think it's just a res-bump of an unpopular old game :rolleyes:

Sorry for the digression. Carry on, xboxing! 

22 minutes ago, Spleen said:

Are we doing despatch notices here?

This is my Series S.

Shit's getting real!

IMG_20201105_173805.jpg

Might be encouraged to use a different thread apparently. Not sure how they are going to prevent people in this thread talking about it! I rather enjoy it so thanks for your update! 

2 hours ago, Coolcongo said:

Sadly Xbox has nothing to sell systems right now expect play your old games and third party games better.

/start of rant

What a nonsense.

Both systems have nothing, as many reviewers stated in their videos. Yes, Demon Souls looks fantastic... but it is a PS3 game. And Spiderman is a 1.5 type of game and hardly a full blown release. Gears 5 and Forza do exactly the same, and Tactics is a console exclusive launch game. Astrobot is cool, but a pack-in and not a full game either (which is the route they should go). So yes, I would have liked a system seller launch games like Forza Motorsport or Halo Infinite. But it is hardly a big issue and you can bet they're coming. 

And this stupid "you can only play old games" narrative. It is the sole reason why I pick Xbox over PlayStation. I don't want to discard my old games every generation. I want to still play my PlayStation 1 classics and PlayStation 2 games which Sony doesn't let me unless I stream them. Also, Sony's BC is pure 1:1 emulation with some boost mode, while Xbox BC completely changes some titles with Auto HDR, framerate doubling and resolution scaling. 

PlayStation BC just doesn't compare... Microsoft is way, way ahead of Sony in every possible way. One of the first games I will play is Panzer Dragoon Orta in glorious 4k, an OG Xbox game. Probably I will play the Falconeer next, which is a console exclusive title that seems to be inspired by Panzer Dragoon. 

BTW, I love PlayStation and Nintendo as well for many reasons, but this endless Microsoft bashing needs to stop. There isn't a better launch line-up then your entire catalog of games you purchased over 20 years. End of story. It is also why I feel PC is still the greatest gaming platform.... because all my old games still work, plus I can emulate other platforms up till like the WiiU and PlayStation 3 I believe. So yes, I laud Microsoft and I think they earn huge kudos for what they're doing. It is Sony and Nintendo who are slacking. They want to keep selling your games you already own for huge profit margins..

/end of rant 

Star Wars Squadrons info. Taken from era

Xbox S X/S

Star Wars: Squadrons offers up two options on Xbox Series X/S: better visual quality or better performance. Better visual quality means an improved lighting model, running up to 2160p/60 FPS on Series X and up to 1440p/60 fps on Series S. Better performance takes that same resolution and bumps it up to up 120 FPS on both of Xbox's consoles. If you have a television that supports Variable Refresh Rates, Motive added a toggle in the menu for that.

Full info on upgrades to newer EA games

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/11/05/ea-details-next-gen-enhancements-for-star-wars-squadrons-the-sims-4-and-more

Not to argue that it wouldn’t be nice to have some new games at launch but it’s clear that MS are moving away from traditional console generations into incremental upgrades in within a single evolving ecosystem that isn’t tied to one box. It’s what I expected gaming to be last gen. In that sense reviewing these consoles should be like reviewing a new gaming PC or iPhone. 

23 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

It’s a remake, its not going to shift big numbers or consoles - let’s be truthful here, it’s no Mario Kart 8.

It's Demon Souls. 90% of people won't make it past the first boss and trade-in the game. It's absolutely not a mainstream game like Mario Kart. I love this type of game by the way, but I am also very bad at it. Dark Souls Remastered on Switch barely moved the needle either. 

If there is a system seller (outside of the hardcore audience), it can only be Miles Morales. Or any of the 3rd party games like Valhalla, Fifa or Call of Duty. 

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Star Wars: Squadrons offers up two options on Xbox Series X/S: better visual quality or better performance. Better visual quality means an improved lighting model, running up to 2160p/60 FPS on Series X and up to 1440p/60 fps on Series S. Better performance takes that same resolution and bumps it up to up 120 FPS on both of Xbox's consoles. If you have a television that supports Variable Refresh Rates, Motive added a toggle in the menu for that.

Fantastic. They said a week ago that the game wouldn't get any next-gen upgrades and they're done with it. Time to get a cheap code!

3 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

If there is a system seller (outside of the hardcore audience), it can only be Miles Morales. Or any of the 3rd party games like Valhalla, Fifa or Call of Duty. 

Is Miles Morales that big a deal? I loved Spider-Man, but didn’t go back to it for the DLC and the vids I’ve seen of MM just look like more of the same tbh.

Just now, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

my trigger finger will be over the purchase button for that  or Valhalla  depending on reviews.

Yakuza reviews have been kind of mixed fwiw. I'll definitely get it at some point as I love the series but probably not at release. Valhalla, yeah, waiting for reviews. 

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yakuza reviews have been kind of mixed fwiw. I'll definitely get it at some point as I love the series but probably not at release. Valhalla, yeah, waiting for reviews. 

It will in Game Pass next spring because franchises like this won't move the needle big time on Xbox. It was already announced as coming to Game Pass at some point. I was considering buying it but from what I've read I will wait for its Game Pass release.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

There’s no chance the PS4 could run it. It looks properly mind blowing in terms of graphics.

I dunno. I don’t think something like TLoU2 is that far behind. I’m sure they could have got it running on PS4 at a lower res (I’m presuming it’s 4K on PS5), but Sony wanted it as an exclusive launch title.

48 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

/start of rant

What a nonsense.

Both systems have nothing, as many reviewers stated in their videos. Yes, Demon Souls looks fantastic... but it is a PS3 game. And Spiderman is a 1.5 type of game and hardly a full blown release. Gears 5 and Forza do exactly the same, and Tactics is a console exclusive launch game. Astrobot is cool, but a pack-in and not a full game either (which is the route they should go). So yes, I would have liked a system seller launch games like Forza Motorsport or Halo Infinite. But it is hardly a big issue and you can bet they're coming. 

And this stupid "you can only play old games" narrative. It is the sole reason why I pick Xbox over PlayStation. I don't want to discard my old games every generation. I want to still play my PlayStation 1 classics and PlayStation 2 games which Sony doesn't let me unless I stream them. Also, Sony's BC is pure 1:1 emulation with some boost mode, while Xbox BC completely changes some titles with Auto HDR, framerate doubling and resolution scaling. 

PlayStation BC just doesn't compare... Microsoft is way, way ahead of Sony in every possible way. One of the first games I will play is Panzer Dragoon Orta in glorious 4k, an OG Xbox game. Probably I will play the Falconeer next, which is a console exclusive title that seems to be inspired by Panzer Dragoon. 

BTW, I love PlayStation and Nintendo as well for many reasons, but this endless Microsoft bashing needs to stop. There isn't a better launch line-up then your entire catalog of games you purchased over 20 years. End of story. It is also why I feel PC is still the greatest gaming platform.... because all my old games still work, plus I can emulate other platforms up till like the WiiU and PlayStation 3 I believe. So yes, I laud Microsoft and I think they earn huge kudos for what they're doing. It is Sony and Nintendo who are slacking. They want to keep selling your games you already own for huge profit margins..

/end of rant 

I guess the Xbox reviews didn’t go too well then.

Can't say that I'm not a little disappointed with some of the S impressions doing the rounds, but I've got to get back in the frame of mind of why I preordered one in the first place. 

This is going to be my Gamepass machine. It's going to give me access to an absolute tonne of games for very little money. I reckon there's a very good chance it will have paid for itself within the year. It was too good a deal to pass up, frankly. 

EDIT: I don't have a One currently either, so that's a whole machine to catch up on. 

I expect like everything else devs will find a decent level of compromise to keep the average punter happy on the S. let’s be honest it’s aimed at the crowd who basically play fifa and cod and nothing much else