Xbox Series X | S

2 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

I am getting a PS5 at launch not really a fanboy love Halo, but i think one of the things that harms the Xbox is if you have a PC then you can play all first part games on PC. 

That doesn't harm Xbox at all.  MS don't care where you play if you're playing their games, or even better, paying for a subscription.

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

I know I'm an edge case on this forum and in this thread, in that I've never owned an Xbox, I currently own a Switch and a PS4 Slim, I only have a 1080 telly and I have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future. But this makes me the ideal customer for a Series S, and nothing in any of the reviews I've seen today has put me off. I'm quite happy to only be getting the budget model. Most others here won't be, but that's who the X is for.

Oh god, I've just realised this makes me an Xbox casual.

You're slap band in the middle of their demographic for this machine so you'll have a ball with it :)

I bought my existing XBone when Elite Dangerous came out for it, so... 2015?  It's about time for an upgrade.  If I had a One X then I probably wouldn't be as interested just yet.

One thing I picked up in the Ars review - at $299 the Series S is Switch money, and perfect as a GamePass device for the kids.

45 minutes ago, Freeman said:

It's strange, especially when the PS5 barely has any new games to play on it.

From what I can see, and what we know about it has:

Astro (pack in)

Bugsnax (ps+ freebie and hardly a system seller)

Souls (remake of a ps3 game)

Spiderman Ultimate (remaster of a current gen game with no new content, and not really anything more than what the Series X has with Forza Horizon 4 / Gears etc for free)

Also Godfall, which is just a console exclusive.

Spidey and Bugsnax are cross gen too, just like Gears Tactics and Yakuza. It's the exact same situation. 

49 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Not sure about Watchdogs, or GTA, but I would think that SOT and FH4 would be ones that are sync'd to a server for online stuff. That's the kind of thing that nobody thinks will work on quick resume, right? 

Yeah, FH4 always barfs a bit when you resume. So it sounds like some of the software is delayed? I assume covid has impacted in all sorts of ways which reasonable people will account for, and People With Concerns will relish. Sad, sad people.

I'm out for launch, but as soon as I can see my family again, my bro will take my One X and I'll probably get an S for Game Pass. It looks great.

I expect you won't be able to buy a 512GB Series S in about 18 months though. They'll probably bump it to 1TB storage. It doesn't look like the whole "Series S games are smaller" thing is enough to make a big enough difference. Horizon 4 is 61GB instead of 71GB. Warzone is still >100GB.

From the Eurogamer preview:

kHqlQ4r.png

This is where the decision to go with a proprietary expansion slot becomes a real problem. Sony's (faster) choice of 3rd party SSDs are reaching market and are already cheaper than the Series X expansion drive.

Still, it seems you can't really go wrong with any of the next gen consoles at the moment. Great way to start the gen.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I just put the default 500gb drive back in my PS4 and put the classic 2TB Seagate back in its USB caddy, ready to be the "non-optimized and 360 games" drive. At some point I'll get something bigger.

What's really interesting is that I've put what few PS4 games I do own back on that old launch drive and it's almost full. It's not much more than what you have pictured there.

edit - not directed at you, just a general comment: is there a thread somewhere for folks excited about their imminent next gen purchase arriving can enjoy the fact that their next gen purchase is about to arrive without people having Concerns about the fact this console won't launch with a traditional line-up, despite that literally being Microsoft's intent as announced months and months ago? 

I'm alright with the S reviews.  If I was getting it as my main next-gen for the 4k UHD telly in the living room, I'd be out, because it sounds like it's going to be quite obvious that it's underpowered when connected to a bigger screen.  But the PS5 has always been my choice for the living room.  The S will be a second console for me, for a 1080p tv in another room, and I'll pretty much exclusively use it for gamepass games.  So for many i can see why the coverage will be a disappointment, but luckily for my needs i think the S will be adequate...

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm out for launch, but as soon as I can see my family again, my bro will take my One X and I'll probably get an S for Game Pass. It looks great.

I expect you won't be able to buy a 512GB Series S in about 18 months though. They'll probably bump it to 1TB storage. It doesn't look like the whole "Series S games are smaller" thing is enough to make a big enough difference. Horizon 4 is 61GB instead of 71GB. Warzone is still >100GB.

kHqlQ4r.png

This is where the decision to go with a proprietary expansion slot becomes a real problem. Sony's (faster) choice of 3rd party SSDs are reaching market and are already cheaper than the Series X expansion drive.

Still, it seems you can't really go wrong with any of the next gen consoles at the moment. Great way to start the gen.

How many games are you playing at a time?

22 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I just keep thinking about mobile phones. Imagine if they got reviewed the same way:

"The new iPhone 12 is great but there are no new launch titles on the app store, so I wouldn't waste your money. Literally all it even does is run better than the iPhone 11!!!"

Well, that kind of is the subtext of most smartphone reviews, where incrementality of design and the complete interchangeability of each handset is a given. Every year I see five or six reviews of the latest iPhone that actually come out and say, "if you're upgrading, this is the one you should get, but if you have an iPhone 11, there's absolutely no reason to buy this". 

Games consoles don't get updated every year, they get updated every five to ten years, and people only buy them about every five to ten years, and people are used to seeing a step change. Imagine if the sequel to the iPhone 5S was the iPhone 12, and not the iPhone 6. You'd expect to see some demonstrable changes in what you can actually do with the device, and how you do it.

Again, I think this is more a symptom of Microsoft mis-timing the software embargoes than an actual limitation of the hardware. But it's still something they whiffed. If they went this way deliberately I think they misread how far their "death of generations" model has got.

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

How many games are you playing at a time?

This is such a rubbish argument, (you could ask Microsoft why they've bothered making quick resume work for 5+ games) but to humour you - I have 2-3 games on the go at any one time, a couple of roguelikes/arcade games I like to dip into now and then, sometimes I'll want to fire up some Halo 5 or Forza Horizon 4 when the mood takes me, and then some Game Pass stuff installed that I'd like to start but I'm waiting to be in the right mood to play.

I'll usually jump on the couch, fire my console up and pick something to play. The whole point of an Xbox, at this point, is convenience.  I don't think it's reasonable to have to sit there and download or transfer games if you want to have more than 6 in rotation. Others might feel differently. Personally, I hope the price of the expansion drive comes down considerably for S owners.

1 minute ago, Sixkiller said:

I'm alright with the S reviews.  If I was getting it as my main next-gen for the 4k UHD telly in the living room, I'd be out, because it sounds like it's going to be quite obvious that it's underpowered when connected to a bigger screen.  But the PS5 has always been my choice for the living room.  The S will be a second console for me, for a 1080p tv in another room, and I'll pretty much exclusively use it for gamepass games.  So for many i can see why the coverage will be a disappointment, but luckily for my needs i think the S will be adequate...

Absolutely, this is the whole point of the S, it's not aimed at people with 4k tellies, it's for plebs like me whose budget and/or eyesight means they're sticking with 1080.

One of the videos I watched this afternoon (I can't remember which one) included the amazing revelation that if you play the same game on an X and S through the same 4k TV, the S version looks slightly worse. Well no shit Sherlock! If it didn't then why would anyone pay extra for the X? The "slightly" is encouraging if anything. But no-one should be buying an S to plug into a 4k screen.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

But no-one should be buying an S to plug into a 4k screen

My Switch does 900p on my 4k TV though, seems to manage. Plenty of folks managing with vanilla XB1/PS4 on those same TVs for years. And then since the One X did some native 4k, and the PS4 Pro some clever faux 4k, we've been told endlessly that proper 4k "doesn't matter".

I dunno, this all feels like the equivalent of rolling political punditry to sell advertising.

Do you think the 1tb ssd card will drop in price in a few months? 

I'm usually fine just deleting my games when I'm finished (never go back to single player games really) but the prospect of having a bunch of older games I like to jump on quickly is a lot to pass up on 

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is such a rubbish argument, (you could ask Microsoft why they've bothered making quick resume work for 5+ games) but to humour you - I have 2-3 games on the go at any one time, a couple of roguelikes/arcade games I like to dip into now and then, sometimes I'll want to fire up some Halo 5 or Forza Horizon 4 when the mood takes me, and then some Game Pass stuff installed that I'd like to start but I'm waiting to be in the right mood to play.

I'll usually jump on the couch, fire my console up and pick something to play. The whole point of an Xbox, at this point, is convenience.  I don't think it's reasonable to have to sit there and download or transfer games if you want to have more than 6 in rotation. Others might feel differently. Personally, I hope the price of the expansion drive comes down considerably for S owners.

But the games you are describing fit with no issues. You can have tens of roguelike/arcade games installed while also having Halo 5 or FH4 at the same time and still have space left. Downloading 100GB games just to have a pop at them and have more than 5 at the same time (!) verges on personal style of doing things than actual logical argument against the console. Even in my PC I don't have more than 1TB SSD and I still see it as a luxury.

To each his own of course but I don't see this as a negative at all for the console personally. 

9 minutes ago, Darren said:

Absolutely, this is the whole point of the S, it's not aimed at people with 4k tellies, it's for plebs like me whose budget and/or eyesight means they're sticking with 1080.

One of the videos I watched this afternoon (I can't remember which one) included the amazing revelation that if you play the same game on an X and S through the same 4k TV, the S version looks slightly worse. Well no shit Sherlock! If it didn't then why would anyone pay extra for the X? The "slightly" is encouraging if anything. But no-one should be buying an S to plug into a 4k screen.

Well, there is the reveal that the graphics on some (many?) Series S games are visibly running at lower settings, not just lower resolutions. Things popping in closer to the camera, that sort of thing. Which is not quite how they sold it. You would get actual graphics improvements by using a Series X even if you don't have a 4K TV and all that.

I'd buy a Series S for my 4K TV though, just to get caught up on all the Xbox One stuff I missed and replace my Xbox 360 with something half the size.

(Would I run out of storage space before the storage expansion drops to half the price? Probably not.) 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Do you think the 1tb ssd card will drop in price in a few months? 

It's just going to look really weird if it doesn't generally come down in line with 1tb storage prices. At the end of the day, there's still a drive in it.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Well, there is the reveal that the graphics on some (many?) Series S games are visibly running at lower settings, not just lower resolutions. Things popping in closer to the camera, that sort of thing. Which is not quite how they sold it. You would get actual graphics improvements by using a Series X even if you don't have a 4K TV and all that.

Have they finished the whole development environment yet, with the PC / Series X/S / etc. targets? I vaguely recall something mentioned earlier this year, but can't keep track of anything.

For the money, the Series S still looks a bargain. The kind of performance that will suit most people fine, especially kids. I mean, how many of us have seen people watching 4:3 TV stretched to widescreen, or TVs set up with settings that make the picture not look great, with the viewer perfectly happy? Gaming enthusiasts may worry about 1080p/4k and 60/30fps, but for the majority it will be an unnoticeable change for a £200 saving.

Of course, kids being kids I expect "His family plays on Series S" to become a playground insult next year.

15 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Have they finished the whole development environment yet, with the PC / Series X/S / etc. targets? I vaguely recall something mentioned earlier this year, but can't keep track of anything.

Based on what people aren't saying in the hardware reviews, I'd say that for most games it's not done yet, no. It's going to be interesting to see how much it varies across the board and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the games that are already "Series S optimised" are the ones that have done the least-convincing job, compared to ones where the developers are still grinding away.

I'm glad I waited to read the reviews properly before finally making a decision, but I'm also out and my Series S is winging it's way to another gaming home on Tuesday. 

I still think it looks like a great little console and for many people it'll be perfect. However for me I was just hoping for a that little bit more grunt than I think it can realistically deliver so I'm happy to hang fire for now. Instead I'll be focusing on the PS5 (and my XBone for Game Pass) for the rest of this year and will be diving back in on a Series X at some point ready for the first party games to start to trickling in.

Enjoy launch day all! I hope you have wonderful time unboxing and playing with your new toys in a few days time. :sealclap:

35 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Well, that kind of is the subtext of most smartphone reviews, where incrementality of design and the complete interchangeability of each handset is a given. Every year I see five or six reviews of the latest iPhone that actually come out and say, "if you're upgrading, this is the one you should get, but if you have an iPhone 11, there's absolutely no reason to buy this". 

Games consoles don't get updated every year, they get updated every five to ten years, and people only buy them about every five to ten years, and people are used to seeing a step change. Imagine if the sequel to the iPhone 5S was the iPhone 12, and not the iPhone 6. You'd expect to see some demonstrable changes in what you can actually do with the device, and how you do it.

Again, I think this is more a symptom of Microsoft mis-timing the software embargoes than an actual limitation of the hardware. But it's still something they whiffed. If they went this way deliberately I think they misread how far their "death of generations" model has got.

Yeah it absolutely is and it's why I asked if people are happy about this shift.

On one hand it feels bad - always being hassled for an upgrade you're not really sure you need. I can't really tell any more if I need a new smartphone, so I just end up not buying one and waiting till the current one dies. The last time I did upgrade, all I could really get excited about it could last more than a day without charging.

On the other hand, it is a good thing because while there are people that will go from Iphone 10 -> 11 -> 12 for not much reason, those of us who go from say, an iphone 8 to a 12 might feel quite excited about it.

This is me right now. I don't know what 'iphone' I have - a geforce 980 or something, and a switch. No Xbox 360 or One, nor a PS3 or 4. 

So for me, personally: there are hundreds of "next gen" launch games to play.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S