Xbox Series X | S

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

In my own mind, I can. ;)

To be fair, I take your point that the console was marketed at being a 1440p target, and now it seems two of MS' own first party games aren't really hitting that (gears using DRS between 720p and 1440p).

But on balance, it doesn't really matter if you're playing at 1080p, and if I was a Series S owner, I'd be more upset about an S version being 30fps and an X version being 60fps than any resolution difference. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

But on balance, it doesn't really matter if you're playing at 1080p, and if I was a Series S owner, I'd be more upset about an S version being 30fps and an X version being 60fps than any resolution difference.

Yeah, that would be worse. However, my "concern" post was a bit tongue-in-cheek. :)

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

To be fair, I take your point that the console was marketed at being a 1440p target

To be fair it's targeting 1440 not always 1440.

15 minutes ago, Flub said:

rx1iins1e9x51.jpg?width=3840&format=pjpg

That's quite neat

What exactly?

If anyone's wondering what to play on their new console next week, here's a list of games:

https://www.theverge.com/21538464/ps5-xbox-series-x-launch-games-list-new-release-holiday-2020-2021

There are some Xbox One games on the list but they're all titles which have been optimised in some way to take advantage of the hardware, more so than just running a current gen game that's got a bit more headroom, apparently.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Haha, I wondered if someone was going to say that. Let me go all-in on this ;) ...

If had a Series S pre-order now, I would be genuinely concerned. The console was marketed as doing everything the X can do, just at the lower res of 1440p, not 1080p.

The Xbox One X is being discontinued for a reason ;)

On 20/10/2020 at 16:28, gooner4life said:

Well obviously if you're making spelunky you can target a higher native res than if you're making Modern Warfare, at 4 teraflops it's a 1080p machine for AAA games with expensive visual effects, that's not a criticism either, i think that's great, £249.99 will just about buy you a GPU to support than in the PC space.

image.png

2 hours ago, Thor said:

But at 4k. No performance mode? Odd, it's a nice-looking game, but it's not that good looking. I'd have thought the One X could do 1080p60 without breaking a sweat. And to be honest I'd expect the Series S to do 1440p60 on SoT without breaking a sweat. Odd that it can't.

The One X doesn't have the CPU for that. It's big GPU is the reason it can get most games at or near 4k. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Eh? That doesn't make sense to me.  

Why not? Game complexity is CPU bound, while pure resolution is GPU bound. So if you have a game like Gears of War 5, the CPU on the One X is a bottleneck for the running the game in 4k60 in high fidelity. On the Series consoles, this bottleneck is removed by a modern CPU (AMD Zen 2, e.g. Ryzen 3800-ish). The result is that in scenarios where games are heavy on CPU, the 4Tflops Series S can beat the 6Tflops One X. 

So results don't translate 1:1, but most games are heavy on the CPU so the Series S|X are at an advantage. This also means that the Series S will keep up during the generation while the One X won't.

1 minute ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Why not? Game complexity is CPU bound, while pure resolution is GPU bound. So if you have a game like Gears of War 5, the CPU on the One X is a bottleneck for the running the game in 4k60 in high fidelity. On the Series consoles, this bottleneck is removed by a modern CPU (AMD Zen 2, e.g. Ryzen 3800-ish). The result is that in scenarios where games are heavy on CPU, the 4Tflops Series S can beat the 6Tflops One X. 

So results don't translate 1:1, but most games are heavy on the CPU so the Series S|X are at an advantage. This also means that the Series S will keep up during the generation while the One X won't.

Ah, and now it makes sense.  Thank you both. :)

Just now, Thor said:

Eh? That doesn't make sense to me.  

Higher framerate at lower resolutions like 1080p is a CPU intensive task. So a more powerful CPU will be of benefit here. High resolution is GPU intensive.

The One X had a 6tflop GPU but had a crap CPU so could hit high resolution but was never suited for high framerates.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

If anyone's wondering what to play on their new console next week, here's a list of games:

https://www.theverge.com/21538464/ps5-xbox-series-x-launch-games-list-new-release-holiday-2020-2021

There are some Xbox One games on the list but they're all titles which have been optimised in some way to take advantage of the hardware, more so than just running a current gen game that's got a bit more headroom, apparently.

With the slightly tepid reviews for Yakuza I've swapped my order of that for Planet Coaster, been wanting to play that for years. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

That's a whole bunch of xbox exclusives there I didn't even know about. 

Thought it had none? 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S