Xbox Series X | S

I thought the codes were region locked - although I suppose this is more like Nintendo e-shop - you are buying direct from Microsoft to your account, just from a different region and thus getting a discount?

@Ferine and @Mr Tony those are both really helpful. The TopCashback is hard to say no to and knowing that DR2 seems to go into sales regularly is probably a good reason to hold off. I'm in no rush (what with wanting to try FH4) and maybe they'll announce a new WRC licensed "DR3" by the time I get around to it. 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Or you buy from me second hand! 

haha.  Do you know when you said you were getting slight buyers regret I thought Oh god I'm going to be driving up to him and buying his Series (x?) in a couple of months.    :lol:

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

Where do people buy digital games from these days then? If CD Keys / G2A are dodgy - are people just paying the Microsoft direct prices?

For example, I really want Dirt Rally 2.0 but it seems weirdly hard to get hold of a key at a cheaper rate, and £50 odd for the GOTY version feels really expensive for something that was once on Game Pass and is an older game. I don't want a disc version, because Dirt Rally 1 is one of those games I kept going back to for a quick burst every now and then so I think having to check the disc is in will negate that. 

So I might just cave in and buy it, or not buy it and hope that Forza scratches the same itch (but I always loved sliding around).

I find it quite irritating that plastic physical copies are cheap and digital is expensive. I kinda get why - they can control RRP on the latter and the former is dead stock for retailers. But all the same, it's frustrating. I really don't understand these digital code places, they don't seem to be official vendors but where are they getting legit keys from? Either MS want to work with them or they don't - I'd rather buy direct, but oof I thought Nintendo first party games were bad at holding RRP digitally.

I have used CD keys for years but only recently had a small issue where the code took over a day to arrive (it used to be instant) and because of recent horror reports i thought i was being fleeced. customer service were silent as well. It did eventually come but it put me off using them again. 

G2A i wouldnt go anywhere near. Dodgy as hell.

I normally keep an eye on hotukdeals for codes and the like and get some good deals. 

14 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

When you payout your TopCashBack, you can also choose to get paid in MS credit and get an extra 5% on what you withdraw. Not really adding much when it's 5% of your 7%, but if you've got other cashback to withdraw, it can be handy.

Yeah it's handy. I know someone who had built up just shy of £400 on his TCB from the last 12 months. He cashed it out as MSFT credit with the 5% bonus and used it to buy his Series X.

A quick question that I'm hoping has been answered somewhere in the past, er, 457 pages; what's the deal with transferring saves from an Xbox One to a Series console? I've found plenty of guides online explaining how to transfer a full backup of everything - downloaded games and all - between systems using an external drive, but is there a way to simply transfer saves and nothing else?

(obviously I appreciate nobody has one yet, but I'm curious if there have been articles on the subject that I've missed)

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

A quick question that I'm hoping has been answered somewhere in the past, er, 457 pages; what's the deal with transferring saves from an Xbox One to a Series console? I've found plenty of guides online explaining how to transfer a full backup of everything - downloaded games and all - between systems using an external drive, but is there a way to simply transfer saves and nothing else?

(obviously I appreciate nobody has one yet, but I'm curious if there have been articles on the subject that I've missed)

Save back up is handled by Xbox Live even if you don't have Gold or Game Pass or whatever I think.

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

Where do people buy digital games from these days then? If CD Keys / G2A are dodgy - are people just paying the Microsoft direct prices?

For example, I really want Dirt Rally 2.0 but it seems weirdly hard to get hold of a key at a cheaper rate, and £50 odd for the GOTY version feels really expensive for something that was once on Game Pass and is an older game. I don't want a disc version, because Dirt Rally 1 is one of those games I kept going back to for a quick burst every now and then so I think having to check the disc is in will negate that. 

So I might just cave in and buy it, or not buy it and hope that Forza scratches the same itch (but I always loved sliding around).

I’ve not had any problems with CD Keys. Usually buy PSN top ups with 10-15% off if I’m getting stuff off the PS store.

I’ve said it quite a lot on here recently........if you’re after an amazing Rally game then get WRC9. Its the best Rally game since the original Colin McRae titles and the closest to them too. Absolutely brilliant! I think the Series X version is out at launch and can be picked up cheap if you do the Xbox One upgrade.

8 minutes ago, K said:

They're all in the cloud, aren't they? You don't need to transfer them, the console will just download it when you install / play a game.

This. Loaded my old Xbox games up from my account (play anywhere titles and gamepass ones)  on my PC and everything just worked. Saves came across everything. I expect it will work in exactly the same way on the new consoles. Really slick and everything just works*. 

*Except when MS store is playing up on the PC then it really isn't so slick. In fact causes headaches of epic proportions and really has me contemplating another Xbox console at times. Thankfully only had a couple of problems over the 2 years or so of using Xbox on the PC - it was mainly down to hardware changes (new SSD etc). So I'm careful when I change any storage devices now :D 

38 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I buy mainly from foreign stores. You can usually save a reasonable amount.

Are you still using https://www.mtcgame.com/en-GB to buy from Turkey? Any things to watch out?  The Turkish store has great prices on Dirt Rally 2 (and WRC9 for that matter). I have a VPN and had a poke around with my region set to Turkey. Looked like I could just check out - presented me with a card payment info and all. But no idea if that was going to work or somehow lock my debit card to Turkey forever or something...

7 minutes ago, K said:

They're all in the cloud, aren't they? You don't need to transfer them, the console will just download it when you install / play a game.

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Save back up is handled by Xbox Live even if you don't have Gold or Game Pass or whatever I think.

Ah, nice, that makes things a lot simpler! I'd forgotten Microsoft were rather friendlier on this aspect than Sony or Nintendo.

Sony is a bit better than they used to be on this - the PS4 seamlessly uploads game saves, and downloads them again if you reinstall a game, in much the same way that the Xbox does. Obviously, their back office stuff in general has a long way to go to catch up with Microsoft. 

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Ah, nice, that makes things a lot simpler! I'd forgotten Microsoft were rather friendlier on this aspect than Sony or Nintendo.

Indeed MS are a software company I guess! :) Although to be fair to Sony never had issues moving my account around to various PS4s. Think all digital content is now tied to accounts these days and you nominate a base machine. Although not sure what Nintendo do these days. I expect it will also be tied to an account. Although remember losing lots of digital content when I sold my WiiU after transferring from my Wii at the time. Never could get that back again onto another console. Ah well.

It's been a long time since I had to deal with Sony, so I can believe theirs has improved a lot since the PS3. Nintendo, however, I can confirm mostly take a 'fuck you' approach; some games back up to the cloud if you have a Nintendo Online subscription, but not all, and those that don't have no other way to transfer or backup saves at all. So if your Switch dies, well, bad luck!

9 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

Got an S ordered with them.  No email yet.  Online just says "sit tight your order is in progress".

I got confirmation on my S (for my son's xmas present so super important!) last night about 8pm so looks like they are working through them.

Tells me it is DHL delivery on 10th.

So I can cancel my backup S order with Amazon just leaving me with my X order on Amazon to go smoothly!

EDIT - On the website the order details still say sit tight though and no delivery date confirmation - only on the email!

EDIT 2 - The email comes from important_information@mail.argos.co.uk just incase it is in your spam trap :D

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

It's been a long time since I had to deal with Sony, so I can believe theirs has improved a lot since the PS3. Nintendo, however, I can confirm mostly take a 'fuck you' approach; some games back up to the cloud if you have a Nintendo Online subscription, but not all, and those that don't have no other way to transfer or backup saves at all. So if your Switch dies, well, bad luck!

Sounds like not much has changed then. Nintendo were never great at handling the digital content. Shame *all* games don't back up to the cloud really- wasn't it something as huge as Animal Crossing that didn't have cloud saves? Insane.... Anyhow. No such problems with MS/Sony. :) 

12 minutes ago, K said:

Sony is a bit better than they used to be on this - the PS4 seamlessly uploads game saves, and downloads them again if you reinstall a game, in much the same way that the Xbox does. Obviously, their back office stuff in general has a long way to go to catch up with Microsoft. 

The problem I had with the PS4 back up was you had to have +, and you could only do it on your primary console which meant you couldn't share games AND back up saves automatically.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Sounds like not much has changed then. Nintendo were never great at handling the digital content. Shame *all* games don't back up to the cloud really- wasn't it something as huge as Animal Crossing that didn't have cloud saves? Insane.... Anyhow. No such problems with MS/Sony. :) 

Pretty amazing that Nintendo can't work out how to backup a save file, but when it comes to making sure you don't run two Animal Crossing Games on the same machine or want to buy Super Mario Bros for the 11th time, they're all over it. 

11 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Are you still using https://www.mtcgame.com/en-GB to buy from Turkey? Any things to watch out?  The Turkish store has great prices on Dirt Rally 2 (and WRC9 for that matter). I have a VPN and had a poke around with my region set to Turkey. Looked like I could just check out - presented me with a card payment info and all. But no idea if that was going to work or somehow lock my debit card to Turkey forever or something...

To buy Turkish store credit - yes. The thing to note is that whenever the Turkish Lira sells off they invariably go months without getting any credit vouchers in stock - and they're out of stock right now. I managed to buy some last month to order Dirt 5 which worked out at around 32 pounds for the Amplified Edition - a big saving.

Depending on country (Turkey and Argentina you do, most other you don't) you need to use a VPN to add the store credit to your account. Then you can buy through your xbox by changing your region (you don't need a VPN for this).

Brazilian credit is freely available at the moment and due to the Real having sold off, a lot of new releases are pretty good value (Cyberpunk for example works out at around 35 pounds compared to 60 from the UK storefront).

At the beginning of the current gen I bought a few bits from the american store and got the Division from Argentina for about 11p, but as more and more of our gaming gets locked to a digital profile, I'm too nervous to make any purchases that require jumping through hoops, using VPN's or transferring funds to a particular card that doesn't get blocked, all while registered to the British consulate in Istanbul. 

5 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Thanks. Sorry if I'm being dim but - you can't just use a debit / credit card on the Turkish MS store to buy a game directly? Instead of faffing with store credit? I assume this might just be a billing address lock on the card perhaps?

Yeah. You need a debit/credit card registered to an address in Turkey.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S