Xbox Series X | S

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Ill take that upgrade. Sounds really good. Partly because I do have a 120Hz VRR capable telebox but even without I would have said it sounds like they’ve done some lovely work 

Also I’ve managed to hold off playing Gears 5 so I’ll be treating that and Gears Tactics as my big daddy launch games. With The Falconeer as a pallet cleanser. 

8 minutes ago, Purin said:

The games on my external HD are launch Xbone versions. Will they have to be updated when I plug the drive into a Series X? I was thinking they may need the higher res One X textures etc.

Yeah I guess smart delivery will look at what system you’re running the game on and download he appropriate version. If it’s an S/X upgraded version I assume it will also either move it to the local hard drive or prompt you to move it. 

I just read that Chris Eubank is helping deliver Argos Xbox SX orders, so thats what the Eubank talk was about earlier?:lol:

As a massive boxing fan i would love if he appeared at my door. :omg:

4 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I disagree with that assessment.  

The future is already here: it is called VR but it will take like 5-10 years to get to a quality and comfort level that mirrors how we experience 4k content on our HDR television sets. It's on the level of a NES right now and need to get to a Xbox Series X level of fidelity. 

After that comes the brain-computer interface, or NeuroLink as Elon Musk likes to call it. But that's at least a decade or 2-3 away.

Also.... from console to console the jumps might appear small... but if you look at PlayStation 1 graphics and compare to PlayStation 5 we indeed made a lot of progress in terms of immersion and fidelity. 

Next generation already happened when playing Splatoon MP on the big screen, took the machine into the bog and continued on playing. Not everything has to be a Elon Musk/David Cronenberg VR wankery fantasy where 1-1 graphics are embedded straight into your consciousness (I hope). 

AMD has an answer to DLSS, DirectML Super Resolution | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

AMD needs an answer to Nvidia's DLSS, and that answer is DirectML-powered Super Resolution. Like Nvidia, AMD plans to utilise Machine Learning improve the visual quality of games, but AMD's solution will have the backing of Microsoft. 

In a recent disclosure regarding their Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S system, Microsoft confirmed that both of their next-generation consoles would support Machine learning for games with DirectML. Through their collaboration with AMD when creating their new consoles, AMD has a chance to replace DLSS with an alternative which will apply to gamers on both PC and Xbox, giving developers little reason to support DLSS over DirectML Super Resolution.   

Interesting to see AMD & Microsoft team up against Nvidia. 

Also wonder if this means this technology won't be available to Sony for the PlayStation 5. I would assume Microsoft will play nice (since Sony switched part of their back-end to Azure recently), but who knows, maybe this is part of the "not the full RDNA 2.0 feature set" comments. 

From Argos:

Subject: Important Information - XBOX Pre order Release

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your pre-order.  Your order for Xbox Series X  will be delivered to you via DHL. Once dispatched, you will receive your tracking number, you will be able to track your order on delivery date 10th November 2020. 

Regards

Argos

So, not that important then.

I'm not very well versed in the Xbox world, (even though I had a one and one x this gen) can you browse the store on your phone to buy games etc like you can do with PlayStation?

I was looking to possibly see my history on digital purchases and see what some 360 game prices might be if you can do that also. 

6 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

I'm not very well versed in the Xbox world, (even though I had a one and one x this gen) can you browse the store on your phone to buy games etc like you can do with PlayStation?

I was looking to possibly see my history on digital purchases and see what some 360 game prices might be if you can do that also. 

Not anymore. I assume it's to avoid Google and Apple demanding to take a cut, because it changed about a week ago. What you can do now is download a game BEFORE you buy it on your console OR through xbox.com. 

You can view your purchases at https://account.microsoft.com/?refd=account.live.com&refp=landing

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Not anymore. I assume it's to avoid Google and Apple demanding to take a cut, because it changed about a week ago. What you can do now is download a game BEFORE you buy it on your console OR through xbox.com. 

You can view your purchases at http://account.microsoft.com

Thanks @Wahwah*. Kinda sucks I can't browse for new purchases but thanks for the link to see my purchase history :)

I don't know if that's the reason, especially if the PlayStation app still has the store. Were they having to pay Google/Apple with the previous app? Maybe it's something they'll add back in over time, seeing as it's a totally new app for the launch of the Series consoles.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Next generation already happened when playing Splatoon MP on the big screen, took the machine into the bog and continued on playing. Not everything has to be a Elon Musk/David Cronenberg VR wankery fantasy where 1-1 graphics are embedded straight into your consciousness (I hope). 

So what you're saying is the next gen is VR on the toilet?

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

I don't know if that's the reason, especially if the PlayStation app still has the store. Were they having to pay Google/Apple with the previous app? Maybe it's something they'll add back in over time, seeing as it's a totally new app for the launch of the Series consoles.

I assumed that was it, and I think I saw it mentioned somewhere... but it could be that they wanted to make the app more streamlined, and for more specific things? Maybe they have the data that people weren't using it much and thought that was a better option? I know that the app is the way they're pushing people to share things now, once you've grabbed something on your console the app pings to make it easy to share to social media, etc. 

I guess we'll have to see if Sony drop it from their app too.

9 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

Thanks @Wahwah*. Kinda sucks I can't browse for new purchases but thanks for the link to see my purchase history :)

Yeah, it's a bit convoluted but since you can now download stuff from the app before you pay for it, it's actually pretty sweet since you could start a game install before you even buy a disc version, so as soon as you get the disc you can be up and running, with no install to do.

33 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

Ordered from AO? Look forward to a call from them a day or two before, where they pretend it's about confirming delivery, but it's actually a call to try and sell you an extended warranty. Only 42p per day!

15 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It said "Available to pre-order" and "coming soon" and "Out of stock". The green add button wasn't there, tried on desktop and on mobile :/

There was a green button when I looked, but it may or may not have given up the goods, I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

There was a green button when I looked, but it may or may not have given up the goods, I guess. 

It was showing as green and "available for pre-order" for me too about 10 mins ago but then went to "out of stock" once I tried to go from cart to checkout. They seem to be popping back up now and again though so worth keeping an eye on it for a while I reckon.

3 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Ill take that upgrade. Sounds really good. Partly because I do have a 120Hz VRR capable telebox but even without I would have said it sounds like they’ve done some lovely work 

Also I’ve managed to hold off playing Gears 5 so I’ll be treating that and Gears Tactics as my big daddy launch games. With The Falconeer as a pallet cleanser. 

Inspired me. Not played this since last September and I've decided to give it another go now that I have a more capable GPU in my PC :)

45 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Just got an email from Argos stating that they’ll be delivering the Series S I ordered on the 10th. 

Shits got real :omg:

Nothing for me for X. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S