Xbox Series X | S

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

If people are reluctant about the new generation don't fucking berate them for being reluctant. If people are hand wringing about their consoles a) justified because the generational shift is fucking confusing as we've never had one like it and b) life is fucking shit at the moment. If people are somehow distracting themselves by worrying about pointless shit like this there might be a good reason, because the broader view is that the world is literally on fire and there's absolutely nothing any of us can fucking do about it. So we fret about the things we CAN control.

Sorry for not tagging.

I'll only say this.  Yes, the world is on fire and shit.  I politely suggest that one of the things that people can control is not spending £250 / £450 quid on things through FOMO.  If spending that money is giving them excitement and anticipation, then brilliant, fair play and good luck.  But if it's bringing them even the slightest anxiety and worry and fear and compulsion to overanalyse and complicate... it is better that they cancel that order and do something else with the money.  It's not easy (hell, I almost wasted £40 on a limited edition something through FOMO yesterday) but some people need to get back to just enjoying gaming.

26 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I still have an S order from MS and an X from Amazon. With the lack of content on the S performance I think I'm going X. My feeling is that series S were a lot easier to get hold of than X, so I'm guessing no-one here is still after an S?

@gospvg might be.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It still amazes me that people use amazon for new consoles at launch.

I remember people saying this for the PS4 launch and there were a few stories about it being a day late or so. But then there were stories of them replacing controllers with stick rot and, no one seems to remember this, but there were a few issues with launch PS4s and noise and orange light stuff. I remember I had to get mine replaced soon after launch. It wasn't much hassle with Shopto I think, but Amazon are always good for this sort of thing too.

For me it was the lockdown, which we were inevitably going to be in, that made me decide I wanted to go with a behemoth retailer. Not just for delivery concerns, but that they're still in business. I'm sure it'll be fine for everyone though.

If it helps I ordered my One X no problem from Amazon and it arrived fine (although it did look like the box had been opened previously and the contents rifled through).

Argos this time, been fine on delivering so-so quality flat pack in the past so hope they can deliver ok with this.

4 hours ago, Jolly said:

Thanks, but I can't see that either :(

I'M SURE IT WILL BE FINE. 

Can't see mine now either to be honest. I can still see a pre-approval for a pre-order with game, but not the Microsoft store one.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Why can't you just enjoy your new console next week? I'm happy for everyone who gets a Series S, or a Series X or a PS5 on launch day.  I genuinely am.  But it appears to be bringing some people misery and for really weird reasons.  If your purchase really is making you concerned, or worried, or feel that you have to wait for reviews or measurements, may I politely suggest that you perhaps cancel your pre-order and step away from gaming for a while.  Because you've lost what brought you to fall in love with it in the first place.

If people posting on a forum make you upset enough to post long winded strawman arguments involving broad assumptions about whether others love gaming, maybe you should stop projecting so hard and just let them get on with it.

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

If people posting on a forum make you upset enough to post long winded strawman arguments involving broad assumptions about whether others love gaming, maybe you should stop projecting so hard and just let them get on with it.

die-hard-thanksfortheadvice.gif.9250c892a6e268d58676fdd993495da6.gif

I can't believe anyone would order or attempt to order (more likely) a console from Argos, Game, Smyths or particularly ShopTo in the midst of a pandemic.

The only rational reason would be trade in, which only applies to one of those.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

I can't believe anyone would order or attempt to order (more likely) a console from Argos, Game, Smyths or particularly ShopTo in the midst of a pandemic.

The only rational reason would be trade in, which only applies to one of those.

Indeed. Although they are doing click and collect I guess. Perhaps people just like to go to a shop and bring it back.... Old school. :) 

For me less risk the better. Never had problems with mail ordering anything on release day. With games most of the time got them early too.... Although can't remember last time I actually bought a physical game...probably on the Switch when I had that. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Anyone who expected any generational shift to offer a fundamental shift in gaming like we saw between the Snes and the Playstation is going to be sorely disappointed until the time when we can plug new hardware directly into our brains. No amount of giggabigglies or teraflops is going to change what gaming is right now. There's no innovation to be had, only refinement. I want that refinement to run at the the most optimal that it can. I don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut about whether the Series is better than the PS5. The PS5 has one thing for me that doesn't even exist yet so I'm not bothered about it. I'm invested in the Xbox eco system so that's where my money is going.

I disagree with that assessment.  

The future is already here: it is called VR but it will take like 5-10 years to get to a quality and comfort level that mirrors how we experience 4k content on our HDR television sets. It's on the level of a NES right now and need to get to a Xbox Series X level of fidelity. 

After that comes the brain-computer interface, or NeuroLink as Elon Musk likes to call it. But that's at least a decade or 2-3 away.

Also.... from console to console the jumps might appear small... but if you look at PlayStation 1 graphics and compare to PlayStation 5 we indeed made a lot of progress in terms of immersion and fidelity. 

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

I think Amazon UK have been saying 'current unavailable' for a long time now. Pretty much a day or two after the preorder day, right? It makes me hopeful that they sold their allocation and generally have xboxes to send based on what they sold preorders for, rather than decided to allow  4 times their allocation specifically before saying sold out.

Nope, only the Series X and maybe S in some countries, definitely not the controllers and accessories. 

Sorry - I don't really understand:

No they haven't been listed as currently unavailable all this time (and people could keep preordering?..or no they haven't oversold their allocation?

Every time I looked at the XSX page, it said unavailable. Not so for controllers. I don't know about Series S - but maybe it kept changing for both. It always said "email me when back in stock' or to that effect.

I'm just hanging onto that, and the fact it "sold out" on the preorder day as some kind of confirmation I'll actually get an Xbox Series X next week, but hey what will be will be. 

5 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I disagree with that assessment.  

The future is already here: it is called VR but it will take like 5-10 years to get to a quality and comfort level that mirrors how we experience 4k content on our HDR television sets. It's on the level of a NES right now and need to get to a Xbox Series X level of fidelity. 

After that comes the brain-computer interface, or NeuroLink as Elon Musk likes to call it. But that's at least a decade or 2-3 away.

Also.... from console to console the jumps might appear small... but if you look at PlayStation 1 graphics and compare to PlayStation 5 we indeed made a lot of progress in terms of immersion and fidelity. 

But it's the incremental nature of it. It's all well and good saying "With hindsight we've come so far!" Well, yeah, but taken from one generation to another the leaps have gotten smaller and smaller.

I also don't necessarily disagree with the VR thing, I just think it being a physical peripheral you wear is too much of a blocker for mass consumption. I don't see a Ready Player One future, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

If I'm honest I'm genuinely* finding how people are handling this transition fascinating. 

*Concerned

It's been a wild/expensive ride for me so far.

I slept on the PS5 pre-orders (literally due to them happening while I was asleep), jumped on an S pre-order via Amazon, since I don't have a 4K TV for gaming (as the Sony Bravia is in the lounge) figured it would be a cheap way to scratch the Next Gen itch. But then, thanks to a post in here, I ended up bagging an X pre-order via Amazon. Gave it a few days thought and figured what the hell, ditched the S pre-order and bought a LG OLED TV.

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

I can't believe anybody is ordering anything. 

Just when it was calming down a bit. 

Let’s just enjoy the build up. For me, since snagging a pre-order a few weeks back this thread has been brilliant. 

Can we all just hug and get along now? Or maybe we need a preorders thread!

Just now, Yiggy said:

Just when it was calming down a bit. 

Let’s just enjoy the build up. For me, since snagging a pre-order a few weeks back this thread has been brilliant. 

Can we all just hug and get along now? Or maybe we need a preorders thread!

Just a joke. 

The amount of bitching is getting on my tits as well. 

4 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I don't know - there's a fair few distractions this week to keep us going - US election and Lockdown 2: Electric Avenue (at least in England) should keep a lot of us busy. 

I'm trying to focus on good news and escapist entertainment, we've all consumed enough shit news this year to last a lifetime. So while the USA descends into another civil war and continues its transformation into the Fourth Reich liable to destroy the entire world, I'll just be over here going "NEW CONSOLES FUCK YEEEEAAAAAAH"

26 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Sorry - I don't really understand:

No they haven't been listed as currently unavailable all this time (and people could keep preordering?..or no they haven't oversold their allocation?

Every time I looked at the XSX page, it said unavailable. Not so for controllers. I don't know about Series S - but maybe it kept changing for both. It always said "email me when back in stock' or to that effect.

I'm just hanging onto that, and the fact it "sold out" on the preorder day as some kind of confirmation I'll actually get an Xbox Series X next week, but hey what will be will be. 

Just ignore him, he's been acting like something from Neogaf. He's the guy who tried to make everyone really concerned when Sony bought an Anime distributor (?), choosing to post it in this thread. He's the same guy who posted last week that the S wasn't sold out, when it definitely was. 

Not much point in engaging with someone who's trying to troll. Same with some other posts today. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S