Xbox Series X | S

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

But... isn't the S as capable as the X, but at a lower resolution? Therefore, wouldn't it do PS5 stuff but at a lower resolution? 

It's not gimped, it's targeting a different resolution with the same fidelity. Semantics? I dunno. 

I'm confident that for all the new games, and those for the next two years, it'll hold roughly to their promise - 100% on 1st party, but issues with lazier 3rd party devs.  But I think that's what people buying an S are keen to see evidence of. 

It's suspicious, for example, that the Ubisoft performance rundown specified resolution and framerate for Series X, but didn't for the Series S for most games.  Every time it says "4k 60fps on Series X" Microsoft want you to think "1440p 60fps on series S then" but if that's the case, why don't Ubisoft confirm it?  If they were 1st party games i don't doubt that would be the only real difference, however when it's 3rd party and up to the devs, will they put maximum effort into optimising that frame rate?

For me, the biggest problem we've seen to date is the inability of it to play the OneX versions via backwards compatability.  Until they have it running the OneX versions of recent games like RDR2, albeit at a lower resolution, I think that takes some of the shine off it being "truly next gen" for some people, as it's not running things as well as a console from the last gen.  Not such a huge issue for me as it'll be a 2nd console for me, mainly for 1st party / gamepass, and my library for BC is over on PS, but I can see this being a disappointment for anyone who upgrades from a One S to a series S and gets no real uplift on BC games, or (less likely, but worse) anyone who goes from One X to Series S and sees their existing games get worse...

I ordered something from amazon that was delivered yesterday at around 8.30pm. "Delivered to resident" but not a resident of my house, unfortunately. We were both in at the time.

I contacted amazon, and their bot said they thought the package would still show up and to give it until the end of Wednesday.

That's reassuring for next week.

2 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I ordered something from amazon that was delivered yesterday at around 8.30pm. "Delivered to resident" but not a resident of my house, unfortunately. We were both in at the time.

I contacted amazon, and their bot said they thought the package would still show up and to give it until the end of Wednesday.

It will most likely turn up today. I spoke to a delivery driver a while ago & they said they have a certain number or parcels they have to deliver each day so if they can't they mark them as delivered and drop off the following day. They are the unsung heroes of this pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

:blink:

The only PS4 game I've played in two years is Sekiro. All my gaming is on Switch, partly for the first party and partly for the convenience. So when people talk about framerates and resolution, I'm not going to really care - it'll be a huge upgrade from what I usually play. 

Series S is almost a pure Gamepass machine for me. I'll probably pick up the odd exclusive but that's it. 

Sorry, for only skimming the thread as I am sure this has been dealt with. 

Is the consensus that changing the delivery address of an Amazon order could cause a delay to your order?

At the moment it is coming to my work address but with lockdown looming changing to my home address would seem sensible. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

It still amazes me that people use amazon for new consoles at launch.

I've got my PS5 coming via Amazon. It's the only site I managed to get a pre-order and have received a confirmation email. I may have a second order from Smyths but have not received any emails yet.

11 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Is the consensus that changing the delivery address of an Amazon order could cause a delay to your order?

Yes, apparently it basically cancels the original order and makes a new one meaning you lose your place in the queue.

EDIT:

On 31/10/2020 at 12:12, Clipper said:

Amazon one I have answwer for (as the chat thing is quick) they say the policy is still that if you change delivery address then it counts as a new order and you could go to the back of the queue

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

It still amazes me that people use amazon for new consoles at launch.

I mean I totally agree after horror stories i've heard over the years but guess where my X is coming from :lol:

They were the only place I tried on preorder day not to suffer from downtime from too much traffic. Also you have to think of your chances better as they must surely get masses of allocation compared to others too. 

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Yes, apparently it basically cancels the original order and makes a new one meaning you lose your place in the queue.

EDIT:

Cheers.  I'll just leave it as it is then. What a strange system. 

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

In other news related to the Series X launch but possibly more dull than TV cabinet chat, I've gathered up all my rechargeable AA batteries - which seemed to be all over the house - and have given them all a charge. I've got about 18 spare and charged.

I don't expect the controller to turn over that many - but hey our thermostat, cat-flap, hifi remote, wife's wireless mouse, kitchen scales and a fly swatter all use AAs so I'm not getting complacent.

You have reminded me to order some Eneloops and a new 6 way plug thing! I can possibly out dull you.... I borrowed a One S digital to hook up an external drive and fill it with games ready for next week - I’ve pretty much filled the 1tb drive, even played a few games on Fortnite and Destiny 2 and it’s amazing how bad a One plays compared to a PS4 pro but I love the pad, always preferred the sticks :wub:

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Where did you order yours from?

I'm not buying an Xbox. I'm not a mug. ;)

All jokes aside, my PS5 order is with Argos, I have no idea if they're any good for console launches, but it was the only place I could find to pre-order that wasn't Amazon. I'd have preferred to go with shopto, but I was too late.

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

EDIT:

I pre-ordered a PS5 from amazon and this worries me. I lost my bank card and I'm waiting on a new one. I need to update my payment details when the new card arrives, I wonder if this will fuck things up. 

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

I pre-ordered a PS5 from amazon and this worries me. I lost my bank card and I'm waiting on a new one. I need to update my payment details when the new card arrives, I wonder if this will fuck things up. 

I have an S pre-order with Amazon and changed my payment details due to a broken card, nothing changed regarding the order as it's saying expected on launch day.

Edited by Robsk1
2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Just now, klargon said:

I want to apply my amazon gift balance to my order, but am hesitant for similar reasons.

I've done both of these things after ordering and it did not affect my delivery day. No idea if there are other details to think about, but it seems fine.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm not buying an Xbox. I'm not a mug. ;)

All jokes aside, my PS5 order is with Argos, I have no idea if they're any good for console launches, but it was the only place I could find to pre-order that wasn't Amazon. I'd have preferred to go with shopto, but I was too late.

My experience of buying stuff from Argos online is that they make Amazon look like Harrods.

I've never had any issues with Amazon. I bought my PS4 from them. It came on launch, and 3 years later when I decided to chance it because the DS4 thumbstick was disintegrating, they apologised for not being able to give me a refund and gave me something like £80 in credit.

But they're still a terrible company and I encourage people to buy elsewhere if possible. :)

I still have an S order from MS and an X from Amazon. With the lack of content on the S performance I think I'm going X. My feeling is that series S were a lot easier to get hold of than X, so I'm guessing no-one here is still after an S?

2 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Amazon Germany now shows everything sold-out on the Xbox pre-order page. Either they've received their stock and are matching to orders or something else is going on. 

Curious to see what happens if Sony decides to launch 1 week early in Europe, hope Microsoft will just tell retailers to start pick-ups and shipping.

Update: same situation for Amazon.uk.

I think Amazon UK have been saying 'current unavailable' for a long time now. Pretty much a day or two after the preorder day, right? It makes me hopeful that they sold their allocation and generally have xboxes to send based on what they sold preorders for, rather than decided to allow  4 times their allocation specifically before saying sold out.

Then again they are the most evil company that exists.

I ordered from Amazon because I had about 6 websites open on pre-order day and theirs was the only one that didn't crash on me. My first port of call was Microsoft but that wouldn't let me get into the checkout, it was an utter shit show for a company launching their own console. As if I had the luxury of being discerning on that morning!

I have no idea if I'm getting one on launch day. Amazon just says "Arriving Tuesday Nov 10" and nothing else, no emails so far. I have no reason to think I won't get one though! 

I will just hope for the best and try not to fret about it, as that would be a horribly first world thing to do. 

Just now, BeeJay said:

I still have an S order from MS and an X from Amazon. With the lack of content on the S performance I think I'm going X. My feeling is that series S were a lot easier to get hold of than X, so I'm guessing no-one here is still after an S?

They're all sold out now.

16 minutes ago, Plissken said:

There it is. I love that you managed to divide people into those who are "relatively serious gamers" and those who aren't.  There a fucking great quote from Moosegrinder - "but if a game is locked to 30 when the One X version has a 60 performs mode what's the point?" - it's not about the game anymore is it? It's not about how a game makes you feel, it's about the numbers.  It's about being able to go "My box is better than your box".

"Woohoo, did you see that!  I just barrel-rolled a Ferrari through the vanes of a windmill!"

*nasal voice* "Well, I'm sorry but that would have looked so much better at 4K/60, frankly I don't know why you even bothered."

A gamble on what exactly?  That you won't be able to "win" a spec war on behalf of two faceless corporations?  The SupaMegaBox C is "only" 10% faster in the WGAF test than SupaMegaBox B and more disappointingly, is 4.73% slower than SupaMegaBox D in the tests done by a random website that don't possibly affect the real world?  I mean, Forza Horizon 4 at 4K/30fps with a load time that isn't four minutes and available for nearly free isn't good enough any more?

And yes, people are supposed to get excited about these things.  I'm excited about these things.  However, "worrying" is not excitement.  "Looking to aid my decision" is not excitement.  Whining about the lack of exclusives is not excitement.  That's just using spec wars to seek validation.  It isn't excitement, its entitlement.  It's such a creeping Americanism, that everything has to be fucking measured and compared and ranked and every single thing that makes you feel something taken out and forensically analysed and validated against a fucking chart in order to tell people that that wonderful feeling of joy they just had is well, wrong.

Yes, I asked about whether I should get an X or a S.  And it had absolutely nothing to do with tibbleflips and RDNA specs and everything to do with "The X will do everything I need to now, it happily works with my (200 quid!) telly and if I get a 4K telly in a few years then I get the extras for nowt, right?"  And BTW, I fucking guarantee you that people who "worry" about specs and buy a Series S will have traded it in in twelve months time for an X anyway.  Which will have cost them more than I shelled out and I'm not even using half the power of it yet.  If the numbers are your thing, but the X.  Even I know that, and I know nothing.

Why can't you just enjoy your new console next week? I'm happy for everyone who gets a Series S, or a Series X or a PS5 on launch day.  I genuinely am.  But it appears to be bringing some people misery and for really weird reasons.  If your purchase really is making you concerned, or worried, or feel that you have to wait for reviews or measurements, may I politely suggest that you perhaps cancel your pre-order and step away from gaming for a while.  Because you've lost what brought you to fall in love with it in the first place.

If you're going to drag me into this shit at least tag me, man.

Anyone who expected any generational shift to offer a fundamental shift in gaming like we saw between the Snes and the Playstation is going to be sorely disappointed until the time when we can plug new hardware directly into our brains. No amount of giggabigglies or teraflops is going to change what gaming is right now. There's no innovation to be had, only refinement. I want that refinement to run at the the most optimal that it can. I don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut about whether the Series is better than the PS5. The PS5 has one thing for me that doesn't even exist yet so I'm not bothered about it. I'm invested in the Xbox eco system so that's where my money is going.

The bizarre thing about moving up to an S/X is that if performance was the be all and end all I'd be a PC gamer. However, when the S was announced and promised to be a significant upgrade to everything I play currently for a sixth or more of what a PC would cost I couldn't say no. Now the message isn't that clear. But that's what this generation is about for me. I want to play shit the best in can be played on my settee on my TV without having a fucking PC tower hanging around.

If people are reluctant about the new generation don't fucking berate them for being reluctant. If people are hand wringing about their consoles a) justified because the generational shift is fucking confusing as we've never had one like it and b) life is fucking shit at the moment. If people are somehow distracting themselves by worrying about pointless shit like this there might be a good reason, because the broader view is that the world is literally on fire and there's absolutely nothing any of us can fucking do about it. So we fret about the things we CAN control.

I'm excited for my Series S but I'm not expecting it to change my life in any significant way. I'll just not be sat there staring at loading screens for longer than I was, and games will run at a consistent frame rate for a change. I'll still be sending shit sideways at 120mph on Dirt 5. I'll still be setting shit on fire and watching things go smashy smashy boomy bangy on Borderlands 3 (because I AM going to get my fucking £70 out of that fucking game if it kills me) and I'm going to be doing space magic bounty grinding on Destiny 2.

I don't even know which side of this I'm responding to now. I guess what I'm trying to say is people will or won't enjoy this transition in their own way, and making them feel bad for that is a bit fucking rubbish. Now I'm off to throw metal around and try and find some catharsis.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S