Xbox Series X | S

1 minute ago, Darwock said:

Is this correct? I believed all versions of Tetris Effect were being updated to Connected (or possibly as DLC) - is it only Xbox? That’s f**king shite.

Exclusive to xbox and PC until Summer 2021

37 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Truth be told I'm not excited. What will I play first on the X ? I have no idea. Certainly there's nothing I'm anticipating to be a revelatory moment that justifies the purchase. 

The darkest timeline indeed. 

I would say there's plenty to play and enjoy... I for one am really looking forward to play Tetris: Connected co-op with my wife. 

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

That’s f**king shite.

Serves Sony and Epic well. They kept it from Steam and Xbox for a year. What comes around, goes around as they say. 

Of course, it is anti-gamer and I am not a fan of these practices and rather see them go. But I cannot blame Microsoft in this particular case. 

19 minutes ago, Darwock said:

That’s f**king shite.

I mean, it’s been exclusive to another format since launch. Sometimes the industry works like that. Chill out. 

It’s all gone a bit weird in here. I know there is a mix of sarcasm, realism and genuine disappointment in places but we have to remember it’s a long game. 

Stay strong people!

17 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Serves Sony and Epic well. They kept it from Steam and Xbox for a year. What comes around, goes around as they say. 

Of course, it is anti-gamer and I am not a fan of these practices and rather see them go. But I cannot blame Microsoft in this particular case. 

Yeah, its main USP of the original release would've suited the Xbox VR headset perfectly.

Which - in all seriousness - might be why there never was an Xbox release in the first place: Microsoft may have demanded feature parity which was simply impossible.

edit - in response to Yiggy

It’s a game I have been playing every week for two years, so I’m quite invested in it and was looking forward to the upgrade. I suppose I’ll still be playing it next summer anyway, but it’s f**king shite, and I’m allowed to say so.

8 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Is it Shark week youth? You seem a bit touchy! Lol. As I’ve said, just giving people a heads up.

Have I seen the bespoke assets? No, but I’ve seen the ropey footage on YouTube that has a proper shite frame rate and cloth physics out of a PS2 era game! 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shark week

I'm pretty sure people have copped bans for that sort of talk.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 11 days to go

On a serious note it does feel like a notable key point in 'the war' these past 48 hours, especially from a propaganda perspective. If there were a book being written about this I reckon we would have ourselves a whole chapter on it. 

Sony must be really pleased. 

The MS hype machine slowed massively a few days after the retail unboxings and the fridges. They were doing really well. 

Then the embargo has lifted on the PS pads and suddenly Sony have a big win. This has been compounded by Bugsnax going free (doesn't matter if its going to be any good or not) and previews of the other free exclusive game (Playroom) being very positive and confirmed as actually a game rather than a demo. 

Also, feedback on the PS hardware has been positive. Yes, they're all saying its massive but aside from saying that it might be a struggle to get into home set-ups nobody has really complained about it and most are saying that it looks better than they thought so thats a lot of the appearance negativity squashed. In addition, publishers are pretty much confirming that the games feature sets are the same on both systems, with some cases siting haptics and the well marketed '3D Audio' on Sonys part (which Xbox already has) as benefits. 

MS have run out of steam a little bit. They need to think about what they could do next. A free 'surprise' game would not be a bad shout. 

Feedback on console launches are all about the experiences and right now it looks like those getting Sonys monster on launch day might be having a bit more fun. Many of the really great things about Xbox, cheaper system options, value, flexibility, gamepass, quick resume, no need to buy new controllers, great backwards improvements etc don't look so great in the now. 

It's fine though. I am sure the momentum will shift again. MS are in it to win it. I think I am just a bit more likely to pick up a PS5 earlier than the first hardware revision now. It could all shift in a few more days when further embargos lift. I would love to know what DF's 'surprises' thing is all about. 

6 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

MS have run out of steam a little bit. They need to think about what they could do next.

they need to get positive information on the series S out.  if it's as capable as we've been led to believe, show it off, and prove that the considerable saving does not come at a serious compromise.

in terms of free games, their hands are kind of tied i suppose by the amount already "free" with gamepass.  maybe chuck another exclusive like falconeer in there?

The kids still enjoy playing on the Xbox 360 (Skate, Toy Story 3, Jet Set Radio & Keflings) should I upgrade them to a Series S. I will have to buy Skate & Toy Story 3 again because they are physical discs.

I've been out of the loop on xbox skipped it this generation. The games I have purchased digitally on the 360 will they all work on the Series S or only selected titles that have gone through the backwards compatible process? I take it I will also need to buy them some new controllers.

Another option is to pick up an Xbox One X & they can still keep their physical discs.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

The kids still enjoy playing on the Xbox 360 (Skate, Toy Story 3, Jet Set Radio & Keflings) should I upgrade them to a Series S. I will have to buy Skate & Toy Story 3 again because they are physical discs.

I've been out of the loop on xbox skipped it this generation. The games I have purchased digitally on the 360 will they all work on the Series S or only selected titles that have gone through the backwards compatible process? I take it I will also need to buy them some new controllers.

Another option is to pick up an Xbox One X & they can still keep their physical discs.

All of the 360 games you own digitally that are on this list will work on the Series S:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-backwards-compatibility-list-xbox-360-games-series-x-6400

Probably with the Sony units going to reviewers MS are aware that this would dominate the headlines for the next few days. There will likely be a big push when we’re into the last week. 

34 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

On a serious note it does feel like a notable key point in 'the war' these past 48 hours, especially from a propaganda perspective. If there were a book being written about this I reckon we would have ourselves a whole chapter on it. 

The MS hype machine slowed massively a few days after the retail unboxings and the fridges. They were doing really well. 

Then the embargo has lifted on the PS pads and suddenly Sony have a big win. This has been compounded by Bugsnax going free (doesn't matter if its going to be any good or not) and previews of the other free exclusive game (Playroom) being very positive and confirmed as actually a game rather than a demo. 

Also, feedback on the PS hardware has been positive. Yes, they're all saying its massive but aside from saying that it might be a struggle to get into home set-ups nobody has really complained about it and most are saying that it looks better than they thought so thats a lot of the appearance negativity squashed. In addition, publishers are pretty much confirming that the games feature sets are the same on both systems, with some cases siting haptics and the well marketed '3D Audio' on Sonys part (which Xbox already has) as benefits. 

MS have run out of steam a little bit. They need to think about what they could do next. A free 'surprise' game would not be a bad shout. 

Feedback on console launches are all about the experiences and right now it looks like those getting Sonys monster on launch day might be having a bit more fun. Many of the really great things about Xbox, cheaper system options, value, flexibility, gamepass, quick resume, no need to buy new controllers, great backwards improvements etc don't look so great in the now. 

It's fine though. I am sure the momentum will shift again. MS are in it to win it. I think I am just a bit more likely to pick up a PS5 earlier than the first hardware revision now. It could all shift in a few more days when further embargos lift. I would love to know what DF's 'surprises' thing is all about. 

Up and down like a yo-yo at the moment, what a rollercoaster! The PS5 controller does seem really cool, it's got that Wii remote aura around it where you just want to try it. Not sure it will be something that you notice once you get used to it though - I don't notice the HD rumble in the switch at all, although I gather that's not as effective as this new tech.

For MS to wrestle back the spotlight another acquisition would be good.

They don't really need a big push into the last week, the pre-orders are in, they've probably oversold the consoles they have in stock and are rushing to get more out there.

Early adopters are going to be in regardless of launch games, lord knows I bought a PS3 on launch and only had Motorstorm to play for about 6 months so it sat there all shiny and fat while I played the 360.

I don't know what Microsoft or Sony have got in the pipeline for the few months after launch though, i guess that's when we will see the real impact of COVID19 on game development.

34 minutes ago, JPL said:

Ooh, what’s this?

Nothing very specific, in yesterdays dual unboxing vid it ended with Leadbetter saying something like "we aren't allowed to say much right now but once we can fully talk about these consoles it's fair to say there will be some surprises" and then a knowing look and Linneman saying "yes, there will definitely be some surprises" (all paraphrased obviously).

I got the impression it's hands-on performance/feature set related rather than anything new as such.

52 minutes ago, JPL said:

Ooh, what’s this?

In the unboxing vid the other day they said they couldn't talk about it but there would be 'surprises' once the embargos lift. 

TBF I think it could have been a throw away comment and could mean very little but its intriguing. Would be nice if there was at least 1 surprise left. 

@FiveFootNinjasaid it best. ;)

@teddymeow I think there have been dribs and drabs here or there but I think it’s unlikely there will be any more between now and launch. Phil said in an interview the other day that they were expecting shortages of the X for a few months after launch. 

In normal time I could imagine stores having held back some stock for physical purchases but I’d be surprised in the current climate with the uncertainty about whether they will be able to open, and the fact pretty much everyone has a digital presence  that there will be many in store.

I mean I have no insider info obviously, that’s just my guess work.

7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Has there been another wave of pre-orders since that first batch?

Is there likely to be or is it now a case of heading to a retailer on launch day (lockdown permitting) and crossing fingers?

I'd say probably another wave, but I'd also have thought there would have been at least one more wave before now as well. There should be some at launch but is imagine they're Super limited.

11 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Has there been another wave of pre-orders since that first batch?

Is there likely to be or is it now a case of heading to a retailer on launch day (lockdown permitting) and crossing fingers?

Get on stock informer and register for their alerts. I did this the other day and had one come back within a few hours for AO. 

It's probably less likely now but you never know. Other than that I was going to check out the likes of Argos on day 1 and see what happens but I would imagine start of December would be more likely. 

52 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

What you’re describing was always going to happen once Halo Infinite got delayed. That was what the whole Xbox Series launch was geared around and what was positioned as the hype driver.

The AAAA flagship franchise, reinvented back to its best and you can play it day one for ‘free’ - I know if that had actually come off I would be thinking about getting a Series S right now. The Xbox marketing’s readjustment to Halo’s delay has actually been a triumph of squeezing the maximum from what they had to work with. 

Just now, Flanders said:

What you’re describing was always going to happen once Halo Infinite got delayed. That was what the whole Xbox Series launch was geared around and what was positioned as the hype driver.

The AAAA flagship franchise, reinvented back to its best and you can play it day one for ‘free’ - I know if that had actually come off I would be thinking about getting a Series S right now. The Xbox marketing’s readjustment to Halo’s delay has actually been a triumph of squeezing the maximum from what they had to work with. 

Agreed. They had to shift their entire Strat at they did a really good job. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic