Xbox Series X | S

2 hours ago, bear said:

Odd question, but does any man involved in covering games/consumer technology have regular sized hands? Every other video it's "oh I have big hands". 

Same in camera reviews they’re always obsessed with grips and their big hands. 

33 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

And they wouldn’t have an embargo where they can only show a clay model without an engine first, then only talk about the dashboard one week, show the boot the next, then have a look at the wheels another  and finally, weeks later they can show someone driving it but only around a car park. 

I mean you have just summarised new car launches, I’ve been following loads of new electric cars and you have the exact same drip feed of info and preview limited drives before a final release review drive - one of the previews was actually about the dash :lol:

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 sold out

If they had better launch games, they would still be sold out. So what did they lose in terms of sales: nothing!

Potentially more sales, depends on numbers manufactured, sold out doesn’t mean much on its own. If it wasn’t for Game Pass & BC I’m sure it would’ve been a lot less though.

Oooh, that's a good one.  "I can't think of any console that hasn't launched with exclusives".

I can't think of any launch game that has launched with *checks Wiki* 2,611 games that you can play on the very first day.

2 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Oooh, that's a good one.  "I can't think of any console that hasn't launched with exclusives".

I can't think of any launch game that has launched with *checks Wiki* 2,611 games that you can play on the very first day.

The WiiU must have been close to that number, the PS5 will likely have more. The one point doesn't invalidate the other though.

It's not exactly a problem is it?  Unless you want to lord it over the plebs who didn't get one on the very first day?

And that's before we get to the idea of exactly how long it takes to develop a game - any game - these days, let alone one to show off a new bit of hardware.

More genuine sodding concerns.

20 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I mean you have just summarised new car launches, I’ve been following loads of new electric cars and you have the exact same drip feed of info and preview limited drives before a final release review drive - one of the previews was actually about the dash :lol:

As soon as I posted that I thought about a walk around of some new hyper car I can’t afford where they just wondered around looking at it. The world’s gone mad I tell ye! :omg: 

39 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Tempest 3D Audio is exactly the same tech as Dolby Atmos for headphones (in fact Dolby might be slightly better) except Sony didn't want to pay the Dolby licence fee so developed their own copycat version of it.

It's essentially tech that has been on headphones for decades - I remember being wowed by the 3D audio demo on Windows 98!

Tempest isn’t just the virtual surround sound processing. Tempest is also the 3D audio hardware they put in to produce the sound scape that you can then process and output in plain stereo, virtual surround, Dolby 5.1, Atmos or whatever.

Xbox has its own equivalent of that sound engine too and Dolby has nothing to do with it, except offering a virtual surround output plugin.

Saying it’s the same technology that was in sound cards in the 1990s is like saying that Xbox Series X is the same technology as the 3Dfx Voodoo.

Edit - A good comparison would be FF7 and the FF7 remake. The PS4 had enough audio processing to do a handful of audio signals in 3D. The rest had to be lower fidelity - canned sounds, real-time but only 5.1, or whatever, something computationally cheap. The audio equivalent of the pre-rendered 2D backdrops with a few 3D characters of FF7. PS5 (and presumably Series X, they’ve not talked about it much) can do hundreds of 3D audio signals at once. You can do most or all of your audio in 3D.

1 hour ago, Bangaio said:

And they wouldn’t have an embargo where they can only show a clay model without an engine first, then only talk about the dashboard one week, show the boot the next, then have a look at the wheels another  and finally, weeks later they can show someone driving it but only around a car park. 

Given the nature of the Internet and the need for new content, that is pretty much exactly what happens.  In t'olden days you had to wait for the next months magazine.

It's not much content, spread very thinly.  I mean, today's exclusive is "look at the box it comes in!".

This "It not launching with any exclusives" bullshit needs to stop. 

Not everyone has a gaming PC (and a very expensive one at that to run these games like the SX) and the vast majority of average consumers dont either. 

If its on PC and Xbox then its still an xbox exclusive. 

24 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Given the nature of the Internet and the need for new content, that is pretty much exactly what happens.  In t'olden days you had to wait for the next months magazine.

It's not much content, spread very thinly.  I mean, today's exclusive is "look at the box it comes in!".

They're good boxes Plesskan

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Based on what though? I hope they have, I've a Series X on the way and a few years of Gamepass stacked up but in terms of producing stellar games with a wide appeal their track record this generation has been poor. There's signs of things improving slowly this year and you'd hope they can't balls Bethesda up like they have most of their other acquisitions but until there's steady stream of outstanding exclusives it feels a bit too early to call. Certainly the Series launch itself is a little ominous in this regard, I can't think of another console that's launched with no exclusives whatsoever. I know what Spencer has said, he interviews well and makes the right sort of noises, particularly for the hardcore audience but the proof of the pudding and all that.

It's way beyond gaming, but I realize that's what you were focused on so sorry for not elaborating. 

Specifically on Xbox though, I think Phil's elevation within the company speaks to a different focus. Generally, they definitely put in the effort after everything PS4 did humbled their out of touch approach with the XB1. It's pretty unified too, on both console and PC. 

Has their approach to Xbox changed? Hope so, based on what they're saying. Microsoft isn't the myopic juggernaut of Steve Ballmer any more, though.

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I don't understand pretty much any of that. Of course having BC isn't a problem, demonstrably a good thing. Unless you mean having no launch exclusives isn't a problem, here I'd disagree - I think it is, at least to some extent. Not sure how discussing this is lording it over anyone or even how that point connects with anything. Of course it takes a while to develop games, however - every other console maker in the past has managed at least something. Given Microsofts deep pockets and acknowledgement of the criticism they've faced this generation it seems a bit of an oversight.

The 'genuine concern' stuff is tiresome, in this context it feels like a lazy way to stifle the conversation. We should be able to critically discuss any aspect of any console, the PS5 is gigantic and first party games are too expensive. The Switch has run out of first party steam a bit and the joy-cons keep breaking. The new Xbox is launching without exclusives - if Nintendo or Sony did this it would absolutely be commented on.

I think it’s that MS not launching with anything is getting blown out of proportion, the PS5 isnt launching with anything either  - it’s cross gen, dlc or a remaster outside the usual launch day third party fodder. Demon souls is being put forward as the bastion of next gen gaming nirvana but if Nintendo launched the Switch with Metroid redux it would have been hammered.... As I recall no one mentioned BOTW being on Wii u much like MK8......

Its pretty clear that the PS5 and the series x are being released too early for actual next gen blockbusters but while MS have been clear that generations are dead and are reliant on gamepass and series upgrades on old games Sony seem to be getting a free pass given they are launching their next gen system with no exclusives - it’s baffling!

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think it’s that MS not launching with anything is getting blown out of proportion, the PS5 isnt launching with anything either  - it’s cross gen, dlc or a remaster outside the usual launch day third party fodder. Demon souls is being put forward as the bastion of next gen gaming nirvana but if Nintendo launched the Switch with Metroid redux it would have been hammered.... As I recall no one mentioned BOTW being on Wii u much like MK8......

Its pretty clear that the PS5 and the series x are being released too early for actual next gen blockbusters but while MS have been clear that generations are dead and are reliant on gamepass and series upgrades on old games Sony seem to be getting a free pass given they are launching their next gen system with no exclusives - it’s baffling!

There’s astrobot. So one exclusive, if we’re using the same criteria.

1 minute ago, footle said:

There’s astrobot. So one exclusive, if we’re using the same criteria.

I did think of that, it’s a curio but nice touch (I flip between it being a nice touch and sell out for the devs, it feels like they have nothing for launch so have paused the PS5 vr sequel to ‘knock this out’ for launch but know they couldn’t actually charge money for it) - I’m disappointed they are using it as a non VR game as if it was a new VR game I’d buy a PS5 for it alone given how much love I have for the pSVR game :wub:

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Of course consoles sell out at launch, that's hardly revelatory - idiots like myself will always make sure that's the case - but we're not indicative of the rest of the market. Regardless, this doesn't engage with my original point which is simply that; given Microsoft are meant to have turned the corner WRT games development - going on to launch two consoles with zero exclusive games seems to slightly undermine that point

They’ve invested hugely in Microsoft Studios. The mentality is completely different to the end of the last gen, when they were shuttering studios left and right. 

It’s going to take time to see how they manage that investment. Sony’s studios are the best in the world in part because they share knowledge between themselves, and that’s taken years. 

I can't find the thread, but I take back what I said about the first next gen game in playing. While waiting for FH4, I'll be playing:

4k@60 NMS. Holy shit, I'm so stoked for this. Favorite game of last gen off to a bang on this gen. 

17 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Sony seem to be getting a free pass given they are launching their next gen system with no exclusives - it’s baffling!

Objection!

When Sony earlier this year said that they believed in generations, they were lambasted by some for not being consumer friendly and Microsoft were therefore awesome for not leaving Xbox One owners behind with their cross-gen game approach, etc.

Now that it turns out that Sony are releasing several PS5 games on PS4, they are being slated for not having enough PS5 launch exclusives! Brilliant! :lol:

Potentially dumb question here so apologies in advance.

Am I right in thinking that I can connect any set of headphones to the Xbox One (and presumably the Series X/S) controller via a 3.5mm jack and adapter that clips onto the bottom?

Reason I ask is that I want to get a decent set of Bluetooth over-ear noise cancelling headphones with a built in mic that I can use on planes/trains/watching TV. I also want them to have the 3.5mm lead so I can use a wired connection where necessary, eg connect to the Xbox.

I'd like to use these with the Series X too, but I don't want a separate pair of headphones that I just use for the Xbox that can't connect to anything else. I also need them to look acceptable when using them in the outside world, so anything that has lots of lime green or looks like those turtle beach monstrosities is out.

Unless there exists a pair of over ear headphones that are...

a) Bluetooth compatible

b) Xbox compatible

c) sound good with music

d) have some kind of noise cancelling

e) don't make me look like someone who vapes whilst riding an electric scooter

Am I asking for the moon on a stick here?

25 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

The 'genuine concern' stuff is tiresome, in this context it feels like a lazy way to stifle the conversation. We should be able to critically discuss any aspect of any console, the PS5 is gigantic and first party games are too expensive. The Switch has run out of first party steam a bit and the joy-cons keep breaking. The new Xbox is launching without exclusives - if Nintendo or Sony did this it would absolutely be commented on.

I'm not stifling debate or criticism, all I'm doing is pointing out that the aspect of the console being discussed is - to use a technical term - utter bollocks.

I don't know if these "concerns" are being voiced in the Sony thread because I'm not in it and I'm not interested in buying a PS5.  If Microsoft, or Sony, or Nintendo were launching a console that a) didn't have any games at launch and b) absolutely did not have backward compatibility, that is, to me, a point of genuine discussion.  To complain that consoles are launching with no exclusives but a back catalogue running into four figures immediately available and quite a lot of them AT NO COST BECAUSE YOU'VE ALREADY BOUGHT THEM is frankly, concern trolling.  That's before we get to the sheer passive aggressive whininess of how these things are "put out there for debate".  All this "Oh, I might have to cancel one of my pre-orders because a website said that the shinies might not be as good as on someone elses device" - what the absolute fuck?

Seriously, it's like being stranded on a desert island for two years, being picked up by a passing cargo ship and storming onto the bridge demanding that you be put back on the island because you aren't happy with the water pressure in the cabin shower.

Apologies, some of that isn't aimed at you.  But seriously, two consoles are coming out that seem to be doing incredibly interesting things from a technical and consumer perspective and all I'm reading is moaning and whining and it's like... do you even like gaming?  Or are you just trying to collect the latest toy ahead of everyone else?

1 minute ago, AI said:

Objection!

When Sony earlier this year said that they believed in generations, they were lambasted by some for not being consumer friendly and Microsoft were therefore awesome for not leaving Xbox One owners behind with their cross-gen game approach, etc.

Now that it turns out that Sony are releasing several PS5 games on PS4, they are being slated for not having enough PS5 launch exclusives! Brilliant! :lol:

We've gotta end this discussion. Both "sides". There are going to be good games available for both, at launch. Rather than janky cross gen and first party stuff not properly stretching each system's legs yet, they're going to be a bit different this time, thanks to BC. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic