Xbox Series X | S

4 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The major benefits are clear:

• Instant fix for the horrendous Microsoft Store including macOS and Linux availability
  • Integrate Game Pass with Steam Store
  • Cross-buy/save with Steam and making Xbox Play Anywhere relevant
  • New IPs
  • VR hardware
  • Big pool of talent added to their company, although most game/story design people have left already

They will also effectively lock-in the Windows gaming eco-system for decades to come. 

The most valuable thing about Valve is that they have a hardcore base of almost irrationally loyal customers. Eurogamer and a few other places ran stories about how at one point in early August about how many Microsoft games were doing exceptionally well on Steam despite them all being available as Gamepass. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-08-01-microsoft-is-having-a-good-time-on-steam-right-now

If anyone buys Steam then I'd find it hard to believe the fan base will stay as loyal. 

With both consoles' retail versions in hand, I can now confirm I'm full-steam ahead on preparing their reviews and comparisons. While I can't say anything yet, I'm laser-focused on the $299 question as of late: how will the same games scale on both the "up to 4K" power of Series X and the "up to 1440p" power of the discless Series S? Plus, of course, I have all kinds of other tests in mind: power draw, noise, memory limitations, and so on. (Whatever you want to know, ask away in the comments, and I'll keep those queries in mind as I get to "work.")

While I can't yet say exactly when those reviews will run, you can be confident that they'll arrive in time for the consoles' upcoming November 10 launch at online and brick-and-mortar retailer

From the Ars piece. :)

4 minutes ago, bear said:

Odd question, but does any man involved in covering games/consumer technology have regular sized hands? Every other video it's "oh I have big hands". 

What? Lol. 

27 minutes ago, TehStu said:

As a company, they absolutely have.

Based on what though? I hope they have, I've a Series X on the way and a few years of Gamepass stacked up but in terms of producing stellar games with a wide appeal their track record this generation has been poor. There's signs of things improving slowly this year and you'd hope they can't balls Bethesda up like they have most of their other acquisitions but until there's steady stream of outstanding exclusives it feels a bit too early to call. Certainly the Series launch itself is a little ominous in this regard, I can't think of another console that's launched with no exclusives whatsoever. I know what Spencer has said, he interviews well and makes the right sort of noises, particularly for the hardcore audience but the proof of the pudding and all that.

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

Based on what though? I hope they have, I've a Series X on the way and a few years of Gamepass stacked up but in terms of producing stellar games with a wide appeal their track record this generation has been poor. There's signs of things improving slowly this year and you'd hope they can't balls Bethesda up like they have most of their other acquisitions but until there's steady stream of outstanding exclusives it feels a bit too early to call. Certainly the Series launch itself is a little ominous in this regard, I can't think of another console that's launched with no exclusives whatsoever. I know what Spencer has said, he interviews well and makes the right sort of noises, particularly for the hardcore audience but the proof of the pudding and all that.

There is too much emphasis on launch games on both sides. 

1. Limited supply means it will increase frustration from your customers
  2. Limited supply means you will sell out regardless
  3. Most games are cross-gen so if you have a PS4 or Xbox One S/X you can still play most games
  4. Game Pass exists now as well as PS Plus Library and BC, so older titles can be revisited and played properly

So I actually believe that from purely a business perspective, your heavy hitters should land when you actually have hardware in stores to sell. But it would help of course when they would be presented/announced... which I believe will happen in the Microsoft event on 9/11 right before the console launch. My gut feeling tells me we're going to see gameplay from Forza Motorsport, a brushed up Halo Infinite demo and the unveiling of the game that The Initiative is working on (likely Perfect Dark).

I decided to keep my Series X pre-order in the end. Not entirely sure why, since the main things I'm interested in are D2 and Cyberpunk and both of those now have Dec dates for updates or release. I'm guess I'm a sucker for that new console smell.

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

I'm not sure there's much truth in that at all. These are games consoles, people buy them to play games.

Which are widely available. Both new ones from 3rd parties, games that launch on console for the first time, and backwards compatible that get major upgrades or performance boosts. They don't have to be Microsoft 1st party games, and if they are, they don't have to be new.

And the data seems to support my argument:

Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 sold out

If they had better launch games, they would still be sold out. So what did they lose in terms of sales: nothing!

Of course, launching with Halo Infinite would have been much better for PR/marketing reasons.... a game that defines the platform from the get-go, but I don't think it is as much as a problem as people make it to be. And the emphasis for Microsoft is all on Game Pass now... which I am sure they prefer. 

Nintendo got it right with the Switch.... in the first 2 years of the lifespan you need a continuous feed of new releases and remakes to keep people engaged. And I am confident that both Microsoft and Sony will achieve this.

Curious if Microsoft is going to step up in the 3D audio department:

• No Man’s Sky is now compatible with PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
  • Save games can be transferred from previous console generations to their next generation equivalent.
  • PSVR owners can continue to experience No Man’s Sky in Virtual Reality on PlayStation 5 via the backwards compatibility functionality.
  • PlayStation 5 users can use the Activities feature to track and manage their Journey Milestones.
  • PlayStation 5 users now experience feedback directly through the triggers of their pad.
  • Added support for Tempest 3D AudioTech on PlayStation 5.

To me, these are 3 major advantages for the PlayStation platform holds over the Xbox platform right now and these same points showed up in the Ubisoft list of next-gen patches. You could summarize all 3 of them best as "Immersion" enhancements. 

I know Xbox also had 3D audio features but either they are not advertising/marketing the functionality or it is more complicated to implement.

3 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

True, but Autocar magazine would get one to quietly talk about the road noise and fuel economy for boring people that care about it. :lol:

And they wouldn’t have an embargo where they can only show a clay model without an engine first, then only talk about the dashboard one week, show the boot the next, then have a look at the wheels another  and finally, weeks later they can show someone driving it but only around a car park. 

27 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Curious if Microsoft is going to step up in the 3D audio department:

• No Man’s Sky is now compatible with PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
  • Save games can be transferred from previous console generations to their next generation equivalent.
  • PSVR owners can continue to experience No Man’s Sky in Virtual Reality on PlayStation 5 via the backwards compatibility functionality.
  • PlayStation 5 users can use the Activities feature to track and manage their Journey Milestones.
  • PlayStation 5 users now experience feedback directly through the triggers of their pad.
  • Added support for Tempest 3D AudioTech on PlayStation 5.

To me, these are 3 major advantages for the PlayStation platform holds over the Xbox platform right now and these same points showed up in the Ubisoft list of next-gen patches. You could summarize all 3 of them best as "Immersion" enhancements. 

I know Xbox also had 3D audio features but either they are not advertising/marketing the functionality or it is more complicated to implement.

This is all marketing. Apart from the VR of course. 

Granted I’m surprised MS aren’t crowing more about it from their side as it all adds to the flames but I’m sure they’ll get on it. 

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

This is all marketing. Apart from the VR of course. 

Granted I’m surprised MS aren’t crowing more about it from their side as it all adds to the flames but I’m sure they’ll get on it. 

The Haptic Feedback is very much a tangible thing too, and not just marketing. Tempest 3D Audio maybe be as well.

7 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Which are widely available. Both new ones from 3rd parties, games that launch on console for the first time, and backwards compatible that get major upgrades or performance boosts. They don't have to be Microsoft 1st party games, and if they are, they don't have to be new.

And the data seems to support my argument:

Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 sold out

Of course consoles sell out at launch, that's hardly revelatory - idiots like myself will always make sure that's the case - but we're not indicative of the rest of the market. Regardless, this doesn't engage with my original point which is simply that; given Microsoft are meant to have turned the corner WRT games development - going on to launch two consoles with zero exclusive games seems to slightly undermine that point

7 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The Haptic Feedback is very much a tangible thing too, and not just marketing. Tempest 3D Audio maybe be as well.

Tempest 3D Audio is exactly the same tech as Dolby Atmos for headphones (in fact Dolby might be slightly better) except Sony didn't want to pay the Dolby licence fee so developed their own copycat version of it.

It's essentially tech that has been on headphones for decades - I remember being wowed by the 3D audio demo on Windows 98!

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic