Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

On 24/10/2020 at 05:47, Boozy The Clown said:

 

I'm betting they had at least a dozen of each.

 

After chatting with Wahwah about the Series X and it being close enough to Christmas, I thought I'd take the plunge on  Amazon Japan since no one buys Xbox consoles in Japan. Naturally there's absolutely fuck all to be had. :hmm:

 

I blame the Japanese Gears fans. All 20 of them. Fuckers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, layten said:

Posts that could potentially age very badly.

In all seriousness, suppose it did happen. They could integrate game pass into the steam client. Release Half Life 3 as an Xbox exclusive, oh the lols - popcorn.gifs would abound.

 

Gabe would just take his Microsoft money and retire with his knifes, never even looking at another game again.

 

Buy Epic and Ubisoft too and suddenly Microsoft have unified the somewhat fragmented PC gaming client landscape again :lol:

 

Is Ubisoft a viable purchase now that I mentioned it? Loads of ip and a huge back catalog for game pass to be had

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

In all seriousness, suppose it did happen. They could integrate game pass into the steam client. Release Half Life 3 as an Xbox exclusive, oh the lols - popcorn.gifs would abound.

 

Gabe would just take his Microsoft money and retire with his knifes, never even looking at another game again.

 

Buy Epic and Ubisoft too and suddenly Microsoft have unified the somewhat fragmented PC gaming client landscape again :lol:

 

Is Ubisoft a viable purchase now that I mentioned it? Loads of ip and a huge back catalog for game pass to be had

Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3 and Portal 3 would be amazing. Maybe they’d finally get made if MS bought them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JPL said:

Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3 and Portal 3 would be amazing. Maybe they’d finally get made if MS bought them.

If, and that's a massive if, Microsoft ever bought them, a big part of it would be for their ip. And unlike Valve themselves, whose interests lie elsewhere, they would want those games to actually be made. Think about it, Half Life 3 day 1 on game pass would be a hell of a way to sell subscriptions. So yeah, IF Microsoft were to buy them you can practically guarantee those would get made. Otherwise it's a waste of a purchase

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If, and that's a massive if, Microsoft ever bought then a big part of it would be for their ip. And unlike Valve themselves they would want those games to actually be made. Think about it, Half Life 3 day 1 on game pass would be a hell of a way to sell subscriptions. So yeah, IF Microsoft were to buy them you can practically guarantee those would get made. Otherwise it's a waste of a purchase

 

The major benefits are clear:

  • Instant fix for the horrendous Microsoft Store including macOS and Linux availability
  • Integrate Game Pass with Steam Store
  • Cross-buy/save with Steam and making Xbox Play Anywhere relevant
  • New IPs
  • VR hardware
  • Big pool of talent added to their company, although most game/story design people have left already

They will also effectively lock-in the Windows gaming eco-system for decades to come. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Valve are far too fond of their autonomy to be bought up by MS, aren't they? The way they just do what they like when they like isn't how corporations like MS work, even with the goodies buying them would bring to MS's portfolio.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of speculation I'm still uhming about my S pre-order, because I'm an indecisive fuckhead. Bouncing between "I don't need it and only kind of want it" and "Well let's wait and see what the devs are going to do with patches etc" and "I'll get an X down the line as that gives the most reliable boost to BC stuff." and "I wonder what the DF et al previews will bring and if they're mediocre I can long distance selling regs that shit."

Not looking for advice, just needed to vomit that out of my brain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Valve are far too fond of their autonomy to be bought up by MS, aren't they? The way they just do what they like when they like isn't how corporations like MS work, even with the goodies buying them would bring to MS's portfolio.

Microsoft has changed.

 

Minecraft and Bethesda will be more or less autonomous and not be integrated in the way they used to do before, for example with Rare. 

 

And Valve might like their autonomy... but Gabe is getting older and that's when people tend to sell private companies. Few companies could afford them, and also Gabe wouldn't sell to Amazon or Facebook but might very well to Microsoft. As far as I can remember Microsoft always played nice with him, and more recently, he praised the Xbox Series X as his console of choice. But a partnership is just as likely as an acquisition so we'll see, I think this could be announced on November 9 at the global Xbox event to celebrate the launch of the Series S|X.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Microsoft has changed.

 

Minecraft and Bethesda will be more or less autonomous and not be integrated in the way they used to do before, for example with Rare. 

 

And Valve might like their autonomy... but Gabe is getting older and that's when people tend to sell private companies. Few companies could afford them, and also Gabe wouldn't sell to Amazon or Facebook but might very well to Microsoft. As far as I can remember Microsoft always played nice with him, and more recently, he praised the Xbox Series X as his console of choice. But a partnership is just as likely as an acquisition so we'll see, I think this could be announced on November 9 at the global Xbox event to celebrate the launch of the Series S|X.

 

This is what worries me because if anyone needed ruling with an iron fist it's fucking Bethesda.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.techradar.com/news/ubisoft-ps5-xbox-series-x-upgrades

This is starting to look a little fishy regarding series s. Ubisoft neglect to give any indications on performance specs for series s for watch dogs, immortals or asscreed, etc but then are specific about series s for For Honour...

 

On top of the ray-tracing about turn for DMC, this is starting to worry me they’re hiding the levels of restrictions for the S to prevent mass pre-order cancellations of that model.  Still probably going to stick with mine, as have no interest in paying for an x in addition to a ps5, but the lack of transparency on series s is starting to dent my confidence in MS’s new consumer friendly approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

13 days until launch and you're all in here twerking for MS to buy Valve even though they haven't delivered anything meaningful for 16 years to give you some games, what an odd launch this is.


there are no launch titles, just games you can play on it, which happen to come out on the same day, that have day one patches, to take advantage of the additional power. Silly!

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

the lack of transparency on series s is starting to dent my confidence in MS’s new consumer friendly approach.


the Sega Saturn lacked alpha-channel transparencies too, and we know how that fared...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marlew said:

 

Finally, some concrete evidence that the Series X runs like a furnace. 


Boggles my mind how bad the x looks horizontally, versus how good it looks vertically.  
 

When all it is a box. 
 



 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s odd that the S, positioned as the option for people less bothered by performance, has the most people frothing for performance info. 
 

I don’t really get it. It’s like the 1080/1440 version of the X 4K for people who aren’t arsed by or don’t have 4K TVs. I thought that was known.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

It’s odd that the S, positioned as the option for people less bothered by performance, has the most people frothing for performance info. 
 

I don’t really get it. It’s like the 1080/1440 version of the X 4K for people who aren’t arsed by or don’t have 4K TVs. I thought that was known.  

 

The problem I've got isn't the 4K thing, it's the thing you're going to miss out on that I get with the console I currently have. Resolution can hang, but if I go from, say, NMS which currently is sometimes 60 with One X performance to sometimes 30 on a Series S (for the sake of argument say that Hello don't release a Series patch) then that's a negative for me. Because if the Series S doesn't consistently perform better than the One X there's no reason for me to upgrade immediately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's that odd. Just because you're price conscious or don't care about having the top tier graphics performance, doesn't necessarily mean you want to chuck £250 on a console without seeing what it can do and deciding if you can live with the entry model.

 

It's about justifying the extra £200 more than just not caring about performance at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HarryBizzle said:

I don't think it's that odd. Just because you're price conscious or don't care about having the top tier graphics performance, doesn't necessarily mean you want to chuck £250 on a console without seeing what it can do and deciding if you can live with the entry model.

 

It's about justifying the extra £200 more than just not caring about performance at all.

 

Given the complete lack of next gen exclusives, you'd be better off playing on an Xbox One X for BC titles as the BC optimisations on One X are better than what you will get on the Series S which gets the BC version for One S.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tnman said:

Isn’t Series S a slightly souped up One X for Velocity architecture purposes?

 

Thats how I’d mark it for performance purposes.


but it can’t run enhancements the One X can because it has less ram and bandwidth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tnman said:

Isn’t Series S a slightly souped up One X for Velocity architecture purposes?

 

Thats how I’d mark it for performance purposes.

 

I don't think there's anything slightly about it. It's a significant increase in power, at least from a CPU point of view. That's how I've read it with DF videos and other such info.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Microsoft have decided to just not market the S initially? They probably could have marketed both machines if they had a flagship title to show the systems off with and were more able to demonstrate the differences, but as is, I can imagine there's too much feature parity when it comes to what they have been showing and that could give the impression that both systems are roughly the same, when really they want to show their premium system will be the most powerful system on the market.  

3 minutes ago, tnman said:

Isn’t Series S a slightly souped up One X for Velocity architecture purposes?

 

Thats how I’d mark it for performance purposes.

No,  it's far more powerful,  but runs at a lower resolution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.