Xbox Series X | S

17 hours ago, Pockets said:

Yeah, it was going to be my one launch game and the promise of next gen football was what made me buy the console. I now suspect it’ll be pretty shit and maybe just a 4K version of what’s already out, even though it’s already 4K for some. 

Fifa 21 launches on XSX & PS5 on the 4th December! so a bit longer to wait, but we will get our next gen football.

3 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Has there been any footage or performance analysis of the S yet? Or a teardown? All I've seen about it is that it exists.

I think they're trying to push the power of the Series X rather than focus on the pound shop version.

15 minutes ago, TehStu said:

For some reason, YouTube on Roku isn't HDR, or at least the HDR10/Dolby Vision logo doesn't flash up as it normally does. But I just watched on my Note9 and it looks brilliant. HDR in gaming is new to me, I only briefly got to try it when my PS4 was connected to my TV. Sunlight coming out from scenery in Mass Effect Andromeda was excellent. 

Really looking forward to this.

13 minutes ago, Clipper said:

that is weird as my TV has Roku built in software (yes its a cheapo Hisense 4k HDR tv :D ) and when I play Youtube HDR the HDR symbol comes up in the corner.

And obviously I know I may as well not bother unless its LG OLED but I didn't have just over a grand to spend on a new tv :p

Google use their own codec for which a lot of devices do not support all flavours. My 2019 Shield TV does 4k Youtube without issue, but no HDR support. While my 2019 LG C9 TV does HDR Youtube perfectly.

22 minutes ago, layten said:

Google use their own codec for which a lot of devices do not support all flavours. My 2019 Shield TV does 4k Youtube without issue, but no HDR support. While my 2019 LG C9 TV does HDR Youtube perfectly.

Oh hey, that DF video did cause the little HDR logo to pop up on my TV. Looks good, although not OLED so blacks aren't as black as my phone. Oh well :)

Are there any official headphones for the Series X at all or good 3rd Party ones coming outy and if so will they plug straight into the controller or do I need that adapter (bearing in mind that the series x is a slightly different shape).

15 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Are there any official headphones for the Series X at all or good 3rd Party ones coming outy and if so will they plug straight into the controller or do I need that adapter (bearing in mind that the series x is a slightly different shape).

You can plug any stereo headphones into the pad with no adapter and you’ll get 3D audio. 

27 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

You can plug any stereo headphones into the pad with no adapter and you’ll get 3D audio. 

and pretty much any stereo headset with mic as it has a standard 3.5mm jack socket that takes stereo headphones and mic input. I was using an old PC headset at one stage that had speerate jacks for headphone and mic and I just used a Y adaptor and that worked too

Wireless is more of a faff but looking at the likes of Steelseries 1 xbox (as their cheapest) they are saying it is wireless compatible for Series X/S as well as for xbox one

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I think they're trying to push the power of the Series X rather than focus on the pound shop version.

Why are they selling it then ffs? All this secrecy has put me right off.

13 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Because they know that the X will be the big seller to begin with. The S is the long game. As someone said earlier in the thread the S wasn't supposed to be announced until round about now.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Fifa 21 launches on XSX & PS5 on the 4th December! so a bit longer to wait, but we will get our next gen football.

Interesting. That suggests it’s at least a genuinely different version, to some extent at least. I’m not really expecting much but even a little tart up will be nice. 

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Because they know that the X will be the big seller to begin with. The S is the long game. As someone said earlier in the thread the S wasn't supposed to be announced until round about now.

Boozy was taking the piss. All the leaked price/promo stuff had both consoles, they’d recorded all the preamble stuff for release in September and booked in slots for journos then.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Why are they selling it then ffs? The whole secrecy has put me right off.

It's almost a literal loot box, £250 surprise mechanic that looks like a speaker. Could be great, could be shoite. Good luck, folks! 

40 minutes ago, footle said:

Boozy was taking the piss. All the leaked price/promo stuff had both consoles, they’d recorded all the preamble stuff for release in September and booked in slots for journos then.

I can't tell what the fuck is going on any more.

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's almost a literal loot box, £250 surprise mechanic that looks like a speaker. Could be great, could be shoite. Good luck, folks! 

“Mine was full of old chip-fryer oil!”

58 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Why though? They released the beardy man video, which made it sound well thought out. I know there haven’t been any hands on impressions from any journalists yet, but neither has there for PS5. It’s got to be worth a punt at £250.

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why though? They released the beardy man video, which made it sound well thought out. I know there haven’t been any hands on impressions from any journalists yet, but neither has there for PS5. It’s got to be worth a punt at £250.

I know you love that video, but it was an advert.

I’m sure that’s enough for some, but it’s a bit like saying “why don’t you just buy x game? the pics on the back of the box look great!” without reading any impressions or reviews.

As for the PS5, I don’t intend to pick one up for a while so I’m less bothered, but I’ve seen way more games running on it than I have on Series S.

5 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I love the Series X design in both orientations (and don't see the problem of the unremovable stand).

Reminds me of Robot Wars when one of the wheels gets knocked off and they drive round in circles.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

and pretty much any stereo headset with mic as it has a standard 3.5mm jack socket that takes stereo headphones and mic input. I was using an old PC headset at one stage that had speerate jacks for headphone and mic and I just used a Y adaptor and that worked too

Wireless is more of a faff but looking at the likes of Steelseries 1 xbox (as their cheapest) they are saying it is wireless compatible for Series X/S as well as for xbox one

That is good to know. What is this adapter for then?

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=885370669985&categoryName=xbox-one-accessories&superCatName=gaming&title=xbox-one-official-stereo-headset-adapter

Does it just add volume controls?

6 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

yeah it is quite useful but it just gives you chat mix and volume controls instantly to hand.

Without it you have to open sound menu on console to access the chat mixer

On the subject of headsets, can you just plug in a shitty mono headset, ie one earpiece and a boom mic for voice only? Sound from the game still on the tv? 

This is how I used to do it in the olden days for original xbox games but I feel like no one talks about doing it that way now. 

I always enjoyed separating the voice chat from the TV speakers as I felt my brain could distinguish the sounds more easily. Not that I think I'll play online much. 

Also, if you plug decent headphones into the controller does it actually sound good? I admit I'm surprised if that's a thing people do but it makes things a little easier if my wife is pissed off with endless forza revving. 

3 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Also, if you plug decent headphones into the controller does it actually sound good? I admit I'm surprised if that's a thing people do but it makes things a little easier if my wife is pissed off with endless forza revving. 

I think this is the way I'm going. I was using a soundbar, but it's TOSlink and that's redundant now. Plus, as you say, endless revving annoys everyone. Rather than fiddle with pass through from the TV, I think I'll just do what I should have done originally and got a nice pair of wired headphones. 

42 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I know you love that video, but it was an advert.

I’m sure that’s enough for some, but it’s a bit like saying “why don’t you just buy x game? the pics on the back of the box look great!” without reading any impressions or reviews.

As for the PS5, I don’t intend to pick one up for a while so I’m less bothered, but I’ve seen way more games running on it than I have on Series S.

I do get what you mean. They are leaving people in limbo who aren’t 100% on it yet. You would have thought they’d be pushing it, but I can see the point of them wanting to focus more on the X at the moment.

I’d still grab one if I were you. If you’re not happy, just flog it.

14 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Just going by the Xbox One here but plugging decent headphones into the controller gives excellent results. I bought the Atmos for Headphones plug-in and it regularly surprises me with how good it sounds (though the default Windows Sonic isn’t too shabby either).  It’s become my favourite way to watch movies as well as play games. 

It’s very different to the PS4 where controller audio sounds shit and only does stereo. 

The Series S looks very capable from what little info is available so far. But there should be much more about it on show at this point. I get the concern that it could take the focus away from the part of the X, but people who want the premium version will get that anyway.

It just plays into that classic trope of videogame launches - that if things are top secret this close to launch them there is something to hide. I mean, I'm sure this is no Aliens: Colonial Marines or Fallout 76, but people will start thinking something is dodgy if the machine is starting to arrive in retailers' warehouses and there is not a comprehensive review online.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Just going by the Xbox One here but plugging decent headphones into the controller gives excellent results. I bought the Atmos for Headphones plug-in and it regularly surprises me with how good it sounds (though the default Windows Sonic isn’t too shabby either).  It’s become my favourite way to watch movies as well as play games. 

It’s very different to the PS4 where controller audio sounds shit and only does stereo. 

Yeah I have the ps4 gold headset, which has pretty decent surround sound on ps4 but still works extremely well through the controller on xbox too. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic