Xbox Series X | S

On Topic (but not the topic of Series S - that should have it's own thread too), via Arstechnica (also via Resetera):

I thought it was weird that Microsoft handed me that compromise-filled preview (Dirt 5) as my first example of a Series X 120fps game. Didn't seem very show-of-force of them. A few days later, an updated build of 2019's Gears 5 landed on my Series X. This should've been my first taste of 120fps on Series X, I immediately thought.

The versus matchmaking suite can go all the way to the system's 120fps maximum all while running at 4K resolution. I immediately booted my PC version of the game and created dummy lobbies in order to create like-for-like comparisons to show you how a $500 console's 120fps mode compares to the same thing on a $1,500+ PC:
If you're struggling to notice any differences, you're not alone. What's crazier is, these crisp, detailed images full of handsome touches are appearing in isolation, as opposed to the dazzlingly smooth flipbook effect of running, somersaulting, and shotgunning at 120fps. Yet Xbox Series X doesn't sweat in rendering these frames at a blistering 8.33 millisecond threshold with barely any noticeable lurches in my hours of testing (and, again, with zero noticeable noise spewing out of the console at peak load). There's no getting around it: Series X is a fundamental game-changer in terms of console power, and Gears 5's buttery smooth 120fps toggle has me instantly excited at the prospect of other console-game developers following suit.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/xbox-series-x-unleashed-our-unrestricted-preview/

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-10-26-pubg-is-60fps-on-xbox-series-x-but-30fps-on-xbox-series-s?__twitter_impression=true

Series X will run the One X version of PUBG and therefore 60 frames with the new patch. Series s will be capped at 30 frames because One S version.

We knew this would be the case with versions, given the history of how fucking awful the frame rate is on Xbox PUBG I guess they couldn't uncap it so the Series S can do its thing.

The Xbox Series X uses the Xbox One X game build, which runs at 60fps via the Framerate Priority option. However, the less powerful Xbox Series S uses the Xbox One S game build, which runs at 30fps. "We are working to provide an option to raise the framerate cap on Xbox One S and Xbox Series S consoles in the future," the developers said.

The answer to fix this is a Series S optimized patch. 

So no update = Xbox One S version = crap performance.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

We knew this would be the case with versions, given the history of how fucking awful the frame rate is on Xbox PUBG I guess they couldn't uncap it so the Series S can do its thing.

This article is misleading and badly worded.

Basically they're talking about backwards compatibility. The game will for sure get an "Optimized for Series S/X patch" which will also most certainly include 60fps and even 120fps modes for the Series S. But Eurogamer isn't very clear about this... the same article says the Series X is running the One X version of the game and not a 120fps mode at 4k which it should easily be able to do for this game. Which is weird since the Series X has like 10Tflops more performance effectively. 

And another Phill Spencer interview.

Just a heads up that ebay have a 20% off code. Boss Deals and Game collection are the two best options. 

Got over a tenner off Assassin's Creed. (it's actually a Christmas present for someone but I'm going to attempt to play it first, not liked a AC game since brotherhood.) 

On 23/10/2020 at 16:10, Ry said:

I really hope dice take a look at BF4 and patch some quick upgrade. 

Having that at even 1080p and solid 60 would be like having a new BF to me. Tried to play it rece tly on One X and its just a jaggy mess and frequent drops as well. 

Then  again they might be busy on the BF3 remaster that's been rumoured. 

On 23/10/2020 at 16:12, CarloOos said:

I was hoping they’d do this when the One X came out, but it never happened. Took a while for the BF1 patch as well, iirc.

I wonder if the code for BF4 is just a spaghetti mess from hell, since it launched half finished and was patched so many times. 

Also why would you remaster BF3, of all of them? It’s practically the same game as 4.

I'm sure BF4 got a patch on the PS4 Pro to unlock the resolution / framerate? On One X it runs a solid 60 on multi but it's still stuck at 900p as that was a hard lock IIRC

31 minutes ago, Ry said:

Just a heads up that ebay have a 20% off code. Boss Deals and Game collection are the two best options. 

Got over a tenner off Assassin's Creed. (it's actually a Christmas present for someone but I'm going to attempt to play it first, not liked a AC game since brotherhood.) 

Thanks for that!. I was just thinking earlier that I did not have my Cyberpunk 2077 order in yet, so there we go, £10 off!

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-10-26-pubg-is-60fps-on-xbox-series-x-but-30fps-on-xbox-series-s?__twitter_impression=true

Series X will run the One X version of PUBG and therefore 60 frames with the new patch. Series s will be capped at 30 frames because One S version.

This is all exactly why I went from considering a Series S as a cool companion GamePass machine, to noop... Series X all the way. 

I'd much rather be playing enhanced versions of the "X" versions of games. 

54 minutes ago, Ry said:

Thanks for that. My inlaws said they would get me Valhalla for Chrimbo so I've just saved them over a tenner!

Edit: Just treated myself to Cyberpunk 2077 as well. Fuck it, it's too good to pass up!

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

I'm sure BF4 got a patch on the PS4 Pro to unlock the resolution / framerate? On One X it runs a solid 60 on multi but it's still stuck at 900p as that was a hard lock IIRC

It’s worse than that I think. It was 900p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One if my memory serves.

I have a quick question I've not come across yet.

With quick resume, what happens if you resume a game you have on physical disc if the disc has since been removed from the drive? Does it ask for you to put the disc in? I assume it does and if so that might stop me from buying a few physical releases at launch. 

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

With quick resume, what happens if you resume a game you have on physical disc if the disc has since been removed from the drive? Does it ask for you to put the disc in? I assume it does and if so that might stop me from buying a few physical releases at launch. 

I didn't even think about that. 

Luckily because of gamepass I won't be buying a lot of games on disk. Cyberpunk will probably be the only disk in my system for some time, so won't need to get off my arse.

36 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Isn't the disc just a license key and you have to DL the game anyway? Man, I'm bad at all this... lol

Just curious if license is only needed on initial launch of game rather than a resume. But pretty sure you’ll need to put the disc in each time. 

Not a biggie but it does make quick resume a tiny bit less useful if you buy discs. Was just tempted to use the 20% off on eBay at the moment to buy some games, especially something like Yakuza which is £55 on the digital store vs £33 on disc. 

5 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

On Topic (but not the topic of Series S - that should have it's own thread too), via Arstechnica (also via Resetera):

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/xbox-series-x-unleashed-our-unrestricted-preview/

There's this bit too...

When it comes to load times, the Series X version of Gears 5 handily beat out even a high-end PC equipped with an NVMe 3.0 drive (which stored both the Windows OS and the game). After testing a variety of Gears 5 campaign save files, I found a 75 percent improvement for the console version; 53-second loads on my PC were as short as 12 seconds on my Xbox Series X for identical content.

In case you skimmed over that paragraph: That's not comparing Series X load times to older consoles. That's comparing Series X load times to a top-of-the-line PC.

I have been failing to keep up with this thread since preordering, but does anyone know how the following would best be managed... 

I've got 2 Series S consoles coming, one for my house and one for the kids. In each house there will also still be an Xbox one S being used. I know gamepass/live is sorted with an account in each house and shared by the other box (so my gf pays hers, I share; I pay one for the kids, and they share), but what about digital game purchases for non 1st party? Namely the new COD game. If the two Series S consoled purchase a copy, would that be playable on the One S's as well? Do we need to get the super expensive cross-gen version of COD? Is this better asked in the specific game thread? TIA! 

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Just curious if license is only needed on initial launch of game rather than a resume. But pretty sure you’ll need to put the disc in each time. 

Not a biggie but it does make quick resume a tiny bit less useful if you buy discs. Was just tempted to use the 20% off on eBay at the moment to buy some games, especially something like Yakuza which is £55 on the digital store vs £33 on disc. 

Yakuza is on gamepass on launch day. Don't spend any money.