Xbox Series X | S

9 hours ago, spatular said:

cheers for the info! That’s a shame, dance central is cool.

Get yourself an Oculus Quest 2. Dance  Central and Audica are on it. 
If you have a PC you can also play Rockband VR via Oculus Link or Virtual Desktop. 

13 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It’s very bizarre this console launch. Usually we know everything about a console months before its released. Sony and MS have played this so cagey, not wanting to drop a clanger to their rivals to take advantage of, that we are in a strange position of not knowing the capabilities of either machine two weeks away from launch. 

For a cheapo S buyer I’d love to know more about it 

I suspect some of it is due to things being very down to the wire. Halo Infinite’s launch day release obviously wasn’t workable, and games like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 have only had their Series X/S patches go live in the last week or so. 

33 minutes ago, bignige said:

If you have a PC you can also play Rockband VR via Oculus Link or Virtual Desktop. 

that’s a good shout, I’ve actually got those (well not rock band) on the rift but didn’t get on with dance central there as much, the wire doesn’t help so I’m sure the quest version would be better.

54 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I suspect some of it is due to things being very down to the wire. Halo Infinite’s launch day release obviously wasn’t workable, and games like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 have only had their Series X/S patches go live in the last week or so. 

And there are major features of the Serieses that won't be turned on yet at launch, liked Dolby Vision Gaming (similar on Ps5 I am sure, too). 

12 hours ago, BarryL85 said:

Ubisoft games are well known to be incredibly difficult to achieve high fps though even on PC (possibly not now with the 3080 mind you).

Assassins Creed Odyssey. 4k Ultra settings you will struggle to get 60fps even with an i9 9900k and RTX 2080 ti

I have a 3080 and yeah it's still difficult to achieve a constant high FPS with everything cranked on AC Odyssey, although I'm probably CPU limited. 

Their games are notoriously badly optimized for PC though.

Except the Division series. Those games use a different engine that actually runs well on everything.

I'm hoping the fact that Legion has DLSS will make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

I have a 3080 and yeah it's still difficult to achieve a constant high FPS with everything cranked on AC Odyssey, although I'm probably CPU limited. 

Their games are notoriously badly optimized for PC though.

Except the Division series. Those games use a different engine that actually runs well on everything.

I'm hoping the fact that Legion has DLSS will make a huge difference.

I think there’s more hope now that the new consoles have decent cpus: Ubisoft might actually optimise for cpu usage.

16 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The Series S will run better than One S versions just due to the hardware. So technically its not going to be running the One S versions. Likewise the Series X will run better than the One X version so technically it won't be running the One X version of BC either. 

The problem is that games like No Mans Sky on Xbox One are locked to 30fps while the One S could easily run the game in 60fps. So unless those games get an update... they are forever stuck in 30fps. 

So to sum it up:

- All BC games will get better texture filtering and other processing improvements regardless of patches

- Games that are locked at 30fps will remain locked to 30fps (unless they are selected for Microsoft's frame doubling feature)

- Games that have dynamic resolution will max out at 4k resolution

- Some games that have an unlocked framerate will get a significant boost, potentially up to 60fps

- However, it is always a combination of settings so what gets priority... dynamic resolution or unlocked framerate?

There's still many question which I hope Digital Foundry will answer for us down the line. 

Bottom line is that there is hundreds of games that were already optimized for One X with substantial improvements, and those won't work out of the box on the Series S because it takes the One/One S version of that game which in many cases has lower quality settings and/or locked framerate to 30fps. Some of those will be brushed up by some Microsoft magic but I reckon the majority won't. 

So for me the Series S is most interesting if you are forward looking and don't intend to use BC (for Xbox One generation games mostly). 

14 hours ago, BarryL85 said:

Ubisoft games are well known to be incredibly difficult to achieve high fps though even on PC (possibly not now with the 3080 mind you).

Often it is a matter of committing to a good PC port or doing an easy-money PC port. I guess Ubisoft is in the latter camp. I also believe there development is console first and PC is almost an after-thought. There is just much, much, much more money to be made on consoles due to lock of piracy and also simpler configurations. Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't fare much better on a PC.... and we're talking about multi billion game publishers here not small indies. 

2 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The problem is that games like No Mans Sky on Xbox One are locked to 30fps while the One S could easily run the game in 60fps. So unless those games get an update... they are forever stuck in 30fps. 

If anyone is going to update old titles for Series, it's Hello Games. 

17 hours ago, BarryL85 said:

Assassins Creed Odyssey. 4k Ultra settings you will struggle to get 60fps even with an i9 9900k and RTX 2080 ti

I think it's more to do with the simple fact they build open-world games and those are generally more dynamic in nature. A stable 4K/60 is difficult to achieve, dropping it to 4K/30 and whack up the visual polish is a better compromise that many devs will choose instead.

AC: Valhalla is supposedly 4K/60 on PS5/XSX, but how stable that is remains to be proven.

Halo Infinite currently targets 4K/60, but if they jack up the graphics to make them what people expect from a flagship game, it's going to be impressive if they can get that to a stable performance/resolution level without resorting to aggressive dynamic scaling techniques like Halo 5 used to reach 60fps.

3 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

So to sum it up:

- All BC games will get better texture filtering and other processing improvements regardless of patches

- Games that are locked at 30fps will remain locked to 30fps (unless they are selected for Microsoft's frame doubling feature)

- Games that have dynamic resolution will max out at 4k resolution

- Some games that have an unlocked framerate will get a significant boost, potentially up to 60fps

- However, it is always a combination of settings so what gets priority... dynamic resolution or unlocked framerate?

There's still many question which I hope Digital Foundry will answer for us down the line. 

Bottom line is that there is hundreds of games that were already optimized for One X with substantial improvements, and those won't work out of the box on the Series S because it takes the One/One S version of that game which in many cases has lower quality settings and/or locked framerate to 30fps. Some of those will be brushed up by some Microsoft magic but I reckon the majority won't. 

So for me the Series S is most interesting if you are forward looking and don't intend to use BC (for Xbox One generation games mostly). 

I linked a video showing NMS running at 60 btw. Can't be locked. 

I'm really hoping we get some actual Series S hands on stuff happening this week. I've got a note in my calendar for next Saturday as my go/no go point on my Series S pre-order cancellation (which in turn will mean a new Xbox this year or no new Xbox this year) so I'd kind of like to be able to make an informed decision about it.

4 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I'm really hoping we get some actual Series S hands on stuff happening this week. I've got a note in my calendar for next Saturday as my go/no go point on my Series S pre-order cancellation (which in turn will mean a new Xbox this year or no new Xbox this year) so I'd kind of like to be able to make an informed decision about it.

Yeah come on it’s been long enough now.

Outlets are receiving PS5s so I’m hoping they’re not waiting for all those impressions to come out and die down before releasing the Series S embargo. 

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

That's on a Series X using the One X's performance mode. One S version is 30 frames only.

Ah OK. I thought the S had that feature also. 

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

Ah OK. I thought the S had that feature also. 

No, the Series S only runs the One S version of Xbox One games because it generally doesn't need the One X 4k textures and all that jazz.

21 hours ago, bignige said:

Live action scenes from Chateau Del Nige.

image.gif.d970e9ebf67c88144d9e27212ede53a6.gif

Me too. It was quite a while after museman posted here, so I was expecting a cancellation. That it later went out of stock has given me some hope they are accurately tracking against their allocation and we will get it on the day.

7 hours ago, museman123 said:

X is instock for delivery on release day Go Go Go.

https://ao.com/product/rrt00007-xbox-series-x-console-black-79481-291.aspx

This pinged up on stockinformer earlier and I managed to bag one. Then, seeing that I got a £10 off code I called up and asked if they would take it off the order I just made, which they did and cancels out the delivery charge.

I was down for a Series S, but I may as well take advantage of having a 4k TV and get the full experience, having not owned an Xbox this gen.

Already got a space cleared on the right of the console shelf for it.

IMG_20201025_223943.thumb.jpg.fb6485a0a3ac32ee6689e292146ef517.jpg

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic