Xbox Series X | S

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

So many games have properly shit HDR.

RDR2 and Resident Evil 2 remake are two of the worst offenders.

Anyone know if the HDR for Destiny any good e.g on LG OLEDs? I think my Sony LED packs 1000 nits (?) but still don’t know if it’s the TV’s fault. Also doesn’t feel as responsive either...

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Please all stop discussing televisions here. It is getting out of hand.  

This is about the consoles. 

Also: use the damn search box. Every TV related thing has been said like 40 times at minimum. 

It’s like there’s a kind of ironic in-joke going on where people are subverting a thread about a couple of new Xbox consoles into TVTVTV

3 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I don’t get all this talk about playing Xbox games on your TV via the cloud. Wouldn’t the TV have to have all the gubbins that go in a console for that to be possible? Believe it or not this is a genuine question!

No. In the same way when watching a hd film on Netflix you don’t need all the gubbins from a Blu-ray player inside. 

16 hours ago, Pockets said:

Most of us are geeky enough to attempt some sort of calibration and want our blacks black and turn brightness down. Playing white whitey’s white world (Trump’s fave game) in HDR with the oled light at 100 and the brightness all the way up - yeah, you’re gonna get burn in. Watching half an hour of news with an on screen clock at normal levels, not so much. 

Yeah out the box the OLED backlight is set to 100, and for darker rooms this is way over what we found was needed. I find 60 is a more comfortable level for viewing movies and playing games. I always take the rtings settings as a kind of baseline and then tweak it to what I'm comfortable with. 

Anyway 18 days to go :D

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - not the TV thread
10 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

As much as I love the OLED chat, can I ask a favour that the thread title gets updated when we get some news? (like when the series s embargo lifts)

Updated as requested. ;)

9 hours ago, Benny said:

That auto HDR (going by the Digital Foundry video) looks like mostly garbage, as expected. Nearly everything looked either washed out or not quite right. Only Geometry Wars seemed to benefit a little. It's just another wrongness gimmick like motion interpolation on TVs that'll get turned off at the first opportunity.

8 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Combination of Auto HDR which basically means turn all the whites up to max and oled screen burn means that in 3 years time there will be one million LG OLEDs on eBay with the HUD from Gears of War 4 seared into its very soul.

"Empathy Tears"

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

"Empathy Tears"

Where’s the lie? Even your client journalist god and saviour Digital Foundry have said the same, auto HDR will bang for some games and will look duff on others and will therefore need a toggle.

And weren't you in the PS5 page seriously concerning yourself over some minimum frame rate capability based solely off of the wording of some tweet of a game you’re not going to play on a console you ain’t getting?

As much as I would not want searing white HUD turned to max on an HDR screen, that's not the colour that fades the pixels the quickest. 

This problem is present with any streaming platform in HDR, with subtitles. I have to change the colour and opacity so it's not searing white. 

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As much as I would not want searing white HUD turned to max on an HDR screen, that's not the colour that fades the pixels the quickest. 

This problem is present with any streaming platform in HDR, with subtitles. I have to change the colour and opacity so it's not searing white. 

A generation of auto HDR screaming at you like a Devine light, having to sit closer and closer to the TV for max resolution benefits, VR headsets and the tiny tiny menu text from Death Stranding and I swear we are all going to go blind.

https://www.theverge.com/21528481/gears-tactics-xbox-series-x-s-vs-one-pc-coalition-interview

confirmation that gears tactics is better on series S than on xbox one x, which you would hope it would be.  could be taking as sounding like a marginal improvement, though.  as someone with a pre-ordered S, and no real interest in the series X, I'm keen to see how the impressions go.  I'd assume that, given there are now stacks of the series s in warehouses, that there are some journalists who have them but just aren't allowed to talk about it yet...

12 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Another unboxing (apols if already posted).

https://streamable.com/wf2jif

I like how easy that is to open. I can get my console out in like a minute and just plug it into the existing stuff for my One X. Less time faffing with boxes and more time getting onto the exciting bits, like spending 3 hours transferring files from an external HDD and downloading massive updates.

2 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

You haven't factored in a trip to Ikea and the rage inducing self assembly though.

IKEA stuff is really easy.  Do the big shoes cause issues getting close enough to what you're assembling?

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

https://www.theverge.com/21528481/gears-tactics-xbox-series-x-s-vs-one-pc-coalition-interview

confirmation that gears tactics is better on series S than on xbox one x, which you would hope it would be.  could be taking as sounding like a marginal improvement, though.  as someone with a pre-ordered S, and no real interest in the series X, I'm keen to see how the impressions go.  I'd assume that, given there are now stacks of the series s in warehouses, that there are some journalists who have them but just aren't allowed to talk about it yet...

The fact that Series S cannot run One X optimized games makes it a no go for me. Most of those titles won’t get Series S/X upgrades so you are stuck with One S version. I wished they could have prevented this. 

Is there a bluetooth or other non-infrared media remote option for the Xbox? My TV cabinet has closing doors so IR is no good. Also, has anyone ever made a media remote that has system-level volume controls so I don't have to juggle the TV remote and the console one?

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic