Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

Just now, Pug said:

 

This old chestnut. It's bullshit.

 

LCDs go brighter but that doesn't make OLEDs dim.

 

Yup, any OLED will be about three to four times brighter than any TV more than 3 or 4 years old.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Freeman said:

 

It's OLED.  You'll want the brightness right up as they don't get that bright, and it doesn't affect blacks as black is when the pixel is off, so 100% brightness.

You need brightness for better contract - e.g. HDR, and HDR means you're even more likely to have brightness as it'll make bright things brighter to make them stand out.

 

The bold bit really annoys me.  It's my TV.  If I want to play Gran Turismo Sport for 8 hours every Saturday, and an hour each night, then I don't think my TV should be the thing to stop me...


I think you’re confusing brightness with OLED light. Brightness effectively controls dark regions, the OLED light is the thing that makes stuff pop in HDR. In fact, the lower the brightness, the higher the contrast between the two is. 
 

My light is on about 35 usually but is maxed in certain HDR content as, like you say, OLED tends not be be as bright as led tech for HDR, or at least that’s what I remember seeing in comparison to my C7, maybe it’s different now. 

The thing is, a lot of people whack that light up to 100 for everything, HDR or not. Then they complained about burn in. You don’t need it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Isaac said:

 

Don't you currently have a plasma?

 

An OLED gets three times brighter than a plasma. They get as bright as any LCD produced three or so years ago, and only the most modern QLED TVs get brighter.

 

A C9 has a brightness of 780 nits vs. the top of the range Samsung QLED which is 1000 nits.

 

For context, your average three or four year old plasma is probably sitting at a brightness of about 150 nits.

 

Also, on the QLED you're going to have slower response times, image ghosting, and severe 'haloing' (colours bleeding into black backgrounds, which looks absolutely terrible).

 

You may also suffer backlight bleed.

 

It's not worth it for games at all.

 

5 minutes ago, Pug said:

 

This old chestnut. It's bullshit.

 

LCDs go brighter but that doesn't make OLEDs dim.

 

Happy to be educated on that one, thanks!

I'm coming from a 9 year old plasma and jumping into watching reviews with no real comparison NITs wise (to my plasma).

Reviews say OLED bad in bright room, and my old plasma is fine in a bright room so my obvious assumption is OLED is dim.

 

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

 

For context, this is looking at panels that are now four revisions out of date. Seriously old tech, comparatively.

 

Obviously, I can't disagree with the age of the TVs they used, can you point to anything that does similar on more up to date devices?

Have a look at the comments on the test, there are some in there with 'regular use' newer models with IR.

There is plenty of stuff with people saying newer TVs are better, but no actual evidence that anything has changed at all, short of LG having some menu setting to do pixel shift (that my 9 year old plasma does, and doesn't shift them enough to help) and an echo chamber of people saying "it's better now."

 

 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying everyone who buys an OLED is an idiot and they shouldn't exist.  I bought a £1k plasma 9 years ago for all the reasons you guys bought an OLED recently - I'm just saying there is a down side, and from the limited evidence around, it's not as impossible as some make out, and the advice that it's fine with "normal viewing" is both bs, and irrelevant (since - who decides what you should watch...)

I'm looking at high end TVs because I'm the sort of person that notices and appreciates quality. Permanent IR on a screen that is otherwise perfect would drive me utterly insane.  I know, I have one now.  It's not something I'm willing to accept, and no one can really tell how big an issue it is. I'm also not wealthy enough to be throwing over a grand at a TV every so often. I want something that will at least see out the PS5 / Series X generation, hopefully more!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Freeman said:

 

 

Happy to be educated on that one, thanks!

I'm coming from a 9 year old plasma and jumping into watching reviews with no real comparison NITs wise (to my plasma).

Reviews say OLED bad in bright room, and my old plasma is fine in a bright room so my obvious assumption is OLED is dim.

 

 

Obviously, I can't disagree with the age of the TVs they used, can you point to anything that does similar on more up to date devices?

Have a look at the comments on the test, there are some in there with 'regular use' newer models with IR.

There is plenty of stuff with people saying newer TVs are better, but no actual evidence that anything has changed at all, short of LG having some menu setting to do pixel shift (that my 9 year old plasma does, and doesn't shift them enough to help) and an echo chamber of people saying "it's better now."

 

 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying everyone who buys an OLED is an idiot and they shouldn't exist.  I bought a £1k plasma 9 years ago for all the reasons you guys bought an OLED recently - I'm just saying there is a down side, and from the limited evidence around, it's not as impossible as some make out, and the advice that it's fine with "normal viewing" is both bs, and irrelevant (since - who decides what you should watch...)

I'm looking at high end TVs because I'm the sort of person that notices and appreciates quality. Permanent IR on a screen that is otherwise perfect would drive me utterly insane.  I know, I have one now.  It's not something I'm willing to accept, and no one can really tell how big an issue it is. I'm also not wealthy enough to be throwing over a grand at a TV every so often. I want something that will at least see out the PS5 / Series X generation, hopefully more!

 


In which case buy an LED tv and spend the next ten years appreciating the grey blacks and light bleed. Problem solved.


There’s no real problem watching an OLED in anything approaching normal viewing conditions. Perhaps if you have the sun shining directly on the TV, but if you do that then you’re an idiot and a fool, so I assume that’s not the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone suggest a 1440p monitor that has VRR up to 120hz and is compatible with Xbox One X? (I imagine if it works on Xbox One X it will work on SeriesX)

 

I looked at the LG 27GL850 but it only supports VRR up to 100hz via hdmi.

 

I've looked at other monitors using the same panel such as the Dell S2721DGF (it has a flicker issue) and the HP Omen 27I (which appears to offer what i want) but i can't seem to find any information to confirm compatibility.

 

Any help would be appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, footle said:


In which case buy an LED tv and spend the next ten years appreciating the grey blacks and light bleed. Problem solved.


There’s no real problem watching an OLED in anything approaching normal viewing conditions. Perhaps if you have the sun shining directly on the TV, but if you do that then you’re an idiot and a fool, so I assume that’s not the case.

 

Yep, I believe you all that the brightness of an OLED isn't my issue, it's just that pang of concern about IR, which I'm not sure I'd ever get over, well, and the cost.

I am wondering if I could live with the greys/light bleed with the added knowledge that I can buy a bigger TV.  

Space isn't a massive concern, I could fit a pretty big TV in, and as it stands today, a 55 inch LG CX OLED is only £100 less than a 65 inch Samsung Q80T QLED, which in turn is only £100 less than a 75 inch Sony X900H LED...  all HDMI 2.1 (with some variation), all with advantages and disadvantages.  

 

 

/first world problems.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you don't switch it off at the wall each night have Pixel Refresher and Screen Shift enabled I don't think you need to worry.

 

EDIT: And the newer model even have a Logo Luminance Adjustment option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Freeman said:

 it's just that pang of concern about IR, which I'm not sure I'd ever get over, well, and the cost.

 

i'm the same, i'd like to upgrade to an oled at some point, but using my tv as a monitor, especially with working from home now, i'm not sure it'd be a good idea. "lucky" i'm used to old/mid range technology so having not really black black doesn't bother me too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The All Access email from Game is a little confusing, talks about making sure I have enough money in my account for them to take payment in the next few days :unsure:

 

It also talks about logging into my account to check the order but the all access orders aren’t actually linked to my account as the order process was a shit show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chooch said:

The All Access email from Game is a little confusing, talks about making sure I have enough money in my account for them to take payment in the next few days :unsure:

 

It also talks about logging into my account to check the order but the all access orders aren’t actually linked to my account as the order process was a shit show. 

Yeah same as mine but if you click on the link you log in and see it - but on the game app which is the same login details showing nothing - I’m assuming they only have one standard confirmation email that only changes the name of what you are pre-ordering - if they try and lift £600 they are going to be sadly disappointed lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Auto HDR video on my HDR telly is making me excited to play old games. I should be excited about new games but the launch titles are decidedly meh. Replaying familiar games that look and run better is where I'm at these days. I know I'll end up playing 10 minutes each of the hundreds of games in my back catalogue just to see if I can see and feel the differences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Yeah same as mine but if you click on the link you log in and see it - but on the game app which is the same login details showing nothing - I’m assuming they only have one standard confirmation email that only changes the name of what you are pre-ordering - if they try and lift £600 they are going to be sadly disappointed lol 

I don’t see it on iOS :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I don’t see it on iOS :(

Yeah I don’t see it on the iOS app but if I click the link In the email  it will bring you to the web logon and it shows in there even though it’s the same account - hey it’s game let’s just be thankful they even sent an email to the right email addresses lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Underwurlde said:

Can anyone suggest a 1440p monitor that has VRR up to 120hz and is compatible with Xbox One X? (I imagine if it works on Xbox One X it will work on SeriesX)

 

I looked at the LG 27GL850 but it only supports VRR up to 100hz via hdmi.

 

I've looked at other monitors using the same panel such as the Dell S2721DGF (it has a flicker issue) and the HP Omen 27I (which appears to offer what i want) but i can't seem to find any information to confirm compatibility.

 

Any help would be appreciated.

A mare of mine is going through this. He's ordered 2 monitors so far (none of the ones you've mentioned) and looks like he'll be returning both so any advice on this would benefit him too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Killer Instinct is updating - either a Halloween event or they’ve done something X/S related. It hasn’t updated in a long time.

One can only dream. I hope it is the BC team doing fan service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick obvious question about monitors and the Series S please...

 

I do have a gaming PC monitor but its 1080p at 60hz  this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-SE2417HG-Anti-Glare-LED-backlit-Response/dp/B06Y1R7NKR/ref=asc_df_B06Y1R7NKR/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795261562035&psc=1

 

do i need to retire it elsewhere and get a 120hz one?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.