Xbox Series X | S

25 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Thanks both, really appreciated. That is crazy about the cloud saves, and am I right in thinking my old 360 discs will work in the X providing the game has backward compatibility?

Yeah, I think it downloads the game and uses the disc as the license to run it so it has to be in the drive.

As another lapsed Xbox user, is it possible to find out what XBLA games I own without plugging in my old 360? 

I have checked the purchase history on my Microsoft account but I bought most of those games back when MS was using its points system so all I can see is purchases for MS points, not what I spent the points on.

If not, presumably when my Series S arrives the Xbox UI will show me my library of purchased and owned games, a bit like the PS4 one does?

7 minutes ago, gratuitous sax said:

As another lapsed Xbox user, is it possible to find out what XBLA games I own without plugging in my old 360? 

I have checked the purchase history on my Microsoft account but I bought most of those games back when MS was using its points system so all I can see is purchases for MS points, not what I spent the points on.

If not, presumably when my Series S arrives the Xbox UI will show me my library of purchased and owned games, a bit like the PS4 one does?

Yes within my games & apps there's a section to show your "full library" - everything you own (that is BC) will show up in there.

1E41C355-EE07-413D-8F9A-EB09E8B98257.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Yes within my games & apps there's a section to show your "full library" - everything you own (that is BC on XB1/S/X will show up in there

Great, thank you.

But no way to find out before the new console arrives? I’ve got the Xbox app but can’t find a ‘my games’ section there or on the Xbox store page.

18 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Gears 5 is the worst entry in the franchise. Better off playing the Ultimate Edition of the original

Madness, it’s the best one since the second. Although Judgement is also highly underrated.

14 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Madness, it’s the best one since the second. Although Judgement is also highly underrated.

I hadn’t played it in yonks but the multiplayer is absolutely brilliant now. Still get the wall bouncing Gnasher bastards but it’s far easier to use now without ADS

49 minutes ago, gratuitous sax said:

Great, thank you.

But no way to find out before the new console arrives? I’ve got the Xbox app but can’t find a ‘my games’ section there or on the Xbox store page.

A slightly long winded way to do it, would be to open the Xbox app and check your achievements where every game you have played should be listed, provided you earnt at least one achievement in each of course. Could take a while looking through depending on how many games you own of course. 

1 hour ago, gratuitous sax said:

I plugged mine in to do some cloud saves a few years back as when I booted up the orange box it had no save. Spent and hour doing it and actually broke the hard drive, as I was hammering through them too fast.

so probably worth doing if you’d like peace of mind about saves, if not just enjoy booting up the new console and see what surprises you have! 

23 minutes ago, SteveH said:

A slightly long winded way to do it, would be to open the Xbox app and check your achievements where every game you have played should be listed, provided you earnt at least one achievement in each of course. Could take a while looking through depending on how many games you own of course. 

Great idea, and this has worked for me, thanks!

The Xbox app doesn’t seem to contain achievements data - possibly as a result of the recent update (I’m sure it had more content when I last logged in a week or so ago), or possibly because the iOS app doesn’t contain the same functionality - but I’ve managed to access my achievements by logging in through account.xbox.com and then opening my ‘Xbox profile’.

14 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I plugged mine in to do some cloud saves a few years back as when I booted up the orange box it had no save. Spent and hour doing it and actually broke the hard drive, as I was hammering through them too fast.

so probably worth doing if you’d like peace of mind about saves, if not just enjoy booting up the new console and see what surprises you have! 

Thanks, that’s a good idea. Not too precious about recovering my saves from back then but I should probably see what’s on there while it still works. 

More importantly, I just discovered that I own Outrun Online using SteveH’s tip, which I know isn’t BC, so might need to dig out the 360 anyway...

14 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-x-power-consumption-and-heat-analysis

Apparently it takes up 29W on standby! Does this effect the quick resume for games if I switch on from cold boot?

it shouldn’t - the games are stored as snapshots on the SSD so cold boot -> quick resume should be only a matter of seconds more.

9 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Not sure why you did even need standby if it boots up from cold that fast. If you’re not a big online gamer the patches and updates aren’t that frequent.

Which does beg the question, what the hell is it doing with those 29W?

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

Which does beg the question, what the hell is it doing with those 29W?

Maybe it doesn't have a low power controller that devices typically have for sipping power but still doing stuff while not being used? 

I hadn't thought about background downloads though. I guess I don't do it often enough to worry too much about it. Think I'd rather be a better hippy.

It really is the thing I'm most excited about. Despite preferring PES, I get annoyed with it and try FIFA out each year and am always pleased by how much snappier it is but I still have to load it up and click through the screens and spend a good couple of minutes or so getting the thing started which can be enough to put me off playing these days. I know, right? But it's true. I've got it on a SSD and it's all very quick - indeed, since owning a PC with a SSD I've laughed at ludicrous console load times and could not have gone back, but this shit is game changing. Even on PC I still have the start up bullshit EVERY. TIME. FOR. EVERY. GAME. Having three or four on the go with quick resume is world-changing for me.

Just picking up a controller and being back in my career mode within seconds, over a year that might even save me £450's worth of my time.

4 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

Could just be an early firmware issue.

Has to be, surely. My i5 Intel NUC draws under 10W whilst idling but actually on, it barely manages to draw 30W whilst under load. I'll be switching my Series X off until they fix it I guess, handy that resume play works - annoying for updates though.

19 minutes ago, Pockets said:

It really is the thing I'm most excited about. Despite preferring PES, I get annoyed with it and try FIFA out each year and am always pleased by how much snappier it is but I still have to load it up and click through the screens and spend a good couple of minutes or so getting the thing started which can be enough to put me off playing these days. I know, right? But it's true. I've got it on a SSD and it's all very quick - indeed, since owning a PC with a SSD I've laughed at ludicrous console load times and could not have gone back, but this shit is game changing. Even on PC I still have the start up bullshit EVERY. TIME. FOR. EVERY. GAME. Having three or four on the go with quick resume is world-changing for me.

Just picking up a controller and being back in my career mode within seconds, over a year that might even save me £450's worth of my time.

That depends do you pay yourself to watch load screens? 

It's just old person gaming. I've got more money than spare time, so the latter is more valuable. It's painful having a quick blast on FH4, which must have the worst loading times of any game this generation.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic