Xbox Series X | S

Not fussed about 1080p as will be relying on the X1 processor upscaler chip inside my SONY to make it look lovely. And it is almost worth not having an LG for that irony alone

10 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

But even if it turns out MS overpromised slightly, and you essentially only get 1440p when the X is doing a full 4K as a rule, and the resolution scales down to (say) 1080p when the X is doing 1440p - which is bound to be true for some games - it feels like the half-price non-4K purchase point is still incredibly sensible. For all the boasting about all our LG OLED TVs, there's still a lot of 1080p out there. And most people can't/won't tell the difference anyway. 1080p and HDR on a 4K screen will look great, as will 1440p.

Microsoft has not promised anything.

Why do you think the Series S will get 1440p on 4K games?  1440p is half the resolution of 4K, yet we know the Series S is about as third as powerful. Similar situation with 1440p to 1080p.

It’s fine as long as people know what they are getting; it’s clear the Series S is a lot less powerful than the other consoles, but I don’t think it’s clear what that means in practice.

I might be talking out my arse here but for everyone worried about the XSS outputting 1440p with 4tflops GPU. The PS4 Pro had a 4.2 tflops on an older AMD gpu architechture and could get games to 4k, most likely 1800p with checkerboarding). It also had less AND slower VRAM.

The XSS has the CPU to help with high framerate - 1440p 60fps is most likely on the cards for most games if the developers set the game up to achieve that. Again it will depend on type of game also.

1 hour ago, Yoshimax said:

I hereby call an

EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING

of the Xbox Series X | S - Power Your DreamsTM thread.

Agenda (one item)

1. What should Darren play first?

I was planning to pop my Xbox cherry on November 10th in a frantic fumble with the OG Halo. But it seems silly to do that if there's going to be an improved version out a week later. As a Nintendo fan I'm already fully conditioned to endure and even enjoy a bit of delayed gratification so that doesn't bother me, but what should I play instead? I want my first time to be, you know, special.

I open the meeting to comments from the floor.

1 minute ago, Halo said:

Why do you think the Series S will get 1440p on 4K games?  1440p is half the resolution of 4K, yet we know the Series S is about as third as powerful. Similar situation with 1440p to 1080p.

I don't think you've been paying attention.

Jason Ronald, of Xbox:

“The way that we designed the developer environment was that a developer would ideally target 4K at 60 fps, up to a 120 fps on Xbox Series X, and then they could easily scale down to the Xbox Series S by reducing the rendering resolution to 1440p,” Ronald said. “But they're not locked into that. So the developer can choose to use the power of the Xbox Series S in the way that they see fit. So in some cases they may choose to render at, say, 1080p, and then use the extra GPU headroom for things like better anti-aliasing or better graphical effects. On the other hand, the developer may choose to go after something like 120 fps, if that's right for the title, and that might result in resolution tradeoffs.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-says-developers-wont-be-limited-by-series-s

15 minutes ago, Halo said:

Yes, agreed.

My point is that Microsoft haven’t actually promised anything.  People seem to be taking second-and-third-hand accounts that it will do 1080p as standard as gospel when it seems unlikely.

The Xbox One X with its ancient GPU tech, slower ram and dogshit mobile CPU usually can do native 4K, so I will shocked if the Series S can’t  output 1080p at least for all its games.

5 minutes ago, Halo said:

The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV. Xbox Series S delivers approximately 3x the GPU performance of Xbox One and was designed to play games at 1440p at 60 frames per second, with support for up to 120fps. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/introducing-xbox-series-s/

You only have to do the barest of research. Everything they're saying about this is 4K for Series X, 1440p for Series S. You can't just keep saying it's different for no reason.

Just now, BarryL85 said:

I might be talking out my arse here but for everyone worried about the XSS outputting 1440p with 4tflops GPU. The PS4 Pro had a 4.2 tflops on an older AMD gpu architechture and could get games to 4k, most likely 1800p with checkerboarding).

The XSS has the CPU to help with high framerate - 1440p 60fps is most likely on the cards for most games if the developers set the game up to achieve that. Again it will depend on type of game also.

You're right, It can definitely do 1440p at 30fps, the PS4 Pro couldn't hit 60fps on those games unless it dropped to a native 1080p, just don't expect anything like a next gen COD or next gen Battlefield to be 1080p @ 60fps i'd expect 900p@60 for that sort of experience unless they seriously reduce the visuals, the consoles scaler will be very good though, Microsoft's have been since the 360, i'll very likely pick up an S to tide me over until the Series X hits £300ish.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

I hereby call an

EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING

of the Xbox Series X | S - Power Your DreamsTM thread.

Agenda (one item)

I was planning to pop my Xbox cherry on November 10th in a frantic fumble with the OG Halo. But it seems silly to do that if there's going to be an improved version out a week later. As a Nintendo fan I'm already fully conditioned to endure and even enjoy a bit of delayed gratification so that doesn't bother me, but what should I play instead?

Reach. MAYBE ODST first. I'd skip 1-3 if you've never played them tbh.

Just now, gooner4life said:

You're right, It can definitely do 1440p at 30fps, the PS4 Pro couldn't hit 60fps on those games unless it dropped to a native 1080p, just don't expect anything like a next gen COD or next gen Battlefield to be 1080p @ 60fps i'd expect 900p@60 for that sort of experience unless they seriously reduce the visuals, the consoles scaler will be very good though, Microsoft's have been since the 360, i'll very likely pick up an S to tide me over until the Series X hits £300ish.

The difference being though at 1080 and 1440 it's the CPU that will allow for the higher framerate and the XSS has a massivelt better CPU in comparison to the PS4 Pro.

17 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Well obviously if you're making spelunky you can target a higher native res than if you're making Modern Warfare, at 4 teraflops it's a 1080p machine for AAA games with expensive visual effects, that's not a criticism either, i think that's great, £249.99 will just about buy you a GPU to support than in the PC space.

Gears 5 is going to be 1440p60/1080p120, I believe. 

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Gears 5 is going to be 1440p60/1080p120, I believe. 

Gears 5 runs at Ultra settings on my 6 year old i7 4770 CPU with a GTX 1060 6gb GPU, i'd expect it will, but it's not going to be at high settings, it's a very scalable game, built for last gen consoles.

18 minutes ago, Darren said:

I was planning to pop my Xbox cherry on November 10th in a frantic fumble with the OG Halo. But it seems silly to do that if there's going to be an improved version out a week later. As a Nintendo fan I'm already fully conditioned to endure and even enjoy a bit of delayed gratification so that doesn't bother me, but what should I play instead? I want my first time to be, you know, special.

I never did get around to each Halo at the time (except the original), nor the MCC (kids were a bit young to have shooters on), but I really quite fancy a play through now. So that's on the list! But FH4 and FM7 are going on straight away, first thing I download. FH4 looks magical at times, even on the humble OG XB1. Can't wait to see what it looks like belting out on the X. 

More generally, the video I think Boozy posted of the absurd boot to playing a game time - was that from standby? Or cold boot? 

2 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

@Darrenyou ought to do your strawpoll in the MCC thread. This one's for concerns and worries at the moment. 

But I am concerned AND worried about this!

And it can be anything. It doesn't have to be a Halo game. I just want it to be a good one. It will forever be remembered in my "first game played on a machine from..." hall of fame which is already home to such illustrious titles as:

Sony - Ico (PS2)

Sega - Crazy Taxi (DC)

Nintendo - Terminator 2 (GB) (:facepalm:) (basically I don't want to make this sort of mistake again)

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

FH4 and FM7 are going on straight away, first thing I download. FH4 looks magical at times

Ooh that's a good call. Shiny shiny vroomy vroomy. I like it!

32 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't think you've been paying attention.

Jason Ronald, of Xbox:

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-says-developers-wont-be-limited-by-series-s

30 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/introducing-xbox-series-s/

You only have to do the barest of research. Everything they're saying about this is 4K for Series X, 1440p for Series S. You can't just keep saying it's different for no reason.

I think that falls short of being a promise, and I’m taking that with a huge pinch of salt given that Watchdogs Legion and Yakuza: Like a Dragon, two last gen upgrades, have already been announced as 1440p/60fps on PS5/Series X - I’m not expecting most games to run at 4K/60 on PS5/Series X either, which is why I think the Series S will struggle when downgraded. If games do run at 4K/60 as standard then they should run fine on the Series S.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong and the Series S will deliver most games at 1440p. We’ll see once the first next-gen exclusives start coming out.

I am putting my money where my mouth is: I am getting a Series X rather than a Series S which will be a total waste of money if the main difference is that the Series S runs at half the resolution.

Which was why I said, before you said that they'd not promised anything - I won't get tied up in a semantic argument about what constitutes a promise, but they're setting clear expectations - that even if they've overstated the volume of 1440p that 1080p seems eminently in-range.

2 minutes ago, Halo said:

I think that falls short of being a promise, and I’m taking that with a huge pinch of salt given that Watchdogs Legion and Yakuza: Like a Dragon, two last gen upgrades, have already been announced as 1440p/60fps on PS5/Series X - I’m not expecting most games will run at 4K/60 on PS5/Series X either, which is why I think the S will struggle.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong and the Series S will deliver most games at 1440p. We’ll see once the first next-gen exclusives start coming out.

I am putting my money where my mouth is: I am getting a Series X rather than a Series S which will be a total waste of money if the difference is only half the resolution.

and no disc drive and half the SSD space

26 minutes ago, Darren said:

I would promise to be bound by the majority decision, but then you'd all suggest Conker's Bad Fur Day or something.

Gears Tactics is the closest to a launch exclusive. I'm playing that and Yakuza. 

4 minutes ago, Halo said:

I think that falls short of being a promise, and I’m taking that with a huge pinch of salt given that Watchdogs Legion and Yakuza: Like a Dragon, two last gen upgrades, have already been announced as 1440p/60fps on PS5/Series X - I’m not expecting most games to run at 4K/60 on PS5/Series X either, which is why I think the Series S will struggle when downgraded. If they do then they should run fine.

I am putting my money where my mouth is: I am getting a Series X rather than a Series S which will be a total waste of money if the main difference is that the Series S runs at half the resolution.

Ignoring the ridiculousness of expecting them to come out and swear on their mum’s grave that it’ll hit 1440p, honest, I think the more pertinent bit is you asking why people think it will hit 1440p - because they keep saying it will and that’s what they’ve designed it to do. 

You might be skeptical, but that doesn’t change the above. 

Exclusive footage of Halo on Series S proves that it will struggle this gen

despite MS' protestations I have been reliably informed that Series S in just over 12 months will indeed drop below 1080p and 60fps. Exclusive footage of Halo Infinite on Series S shows a dynamic resolution dipping as low as 192p and 5fps.

image.png.bccea105c8fd8c2a76191bf7021caa98.png

And it isn't just resolution - Whilst GTA6 now renders interiors better than ever before, raytracing is gone from Series S and attribute colour clash is back with a vengeance. See this dive bar interior exclusive spyshot from GTA6

image.png.54cb241c524e0db2b39f3f0f41857d5a.png

Personally I would poke my eyeballs out with a sharp skewer before allowing Series S into my home.

EDIT - Oh and you can't even heat your home with it, like the X

I think the best suggestion for what to play first would be something that's quick to install like Streets of Rage 4 or another indie game. 

Gears 5 and Forza are massive downloads. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic