Xbox Series X | S

36 minutes ago, Darren said:

They're delaying it as long as possible before the inevitable reveal that inside the box it's just two Spectrums* taped together.

*both 16K

And I for one welcome our Kempston overlords.

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

And I for one welcome our Kempston overlords.

Presumably the difference between the X and the S is that the latter doesn't have a Microdrive?

I was mainly ps4 this gen, having not had a ps3 at all. I must say I'm getting quite tired of the Sony house style of exclusives. Even though I did love Tsushima because the combat is a little more fleshed out than the gameplay usually is in a Sony game. 

I wonder how flexible the 120Hz support is going to be. I think my LG OLED (tm) TV only supports 1080p 120Hz over HDMI. Will be the Xbox (and PS5) be smart enough to allow me to drop down to that on the fly if I select a 120fps mode in a game while leaving me at 4K 60Hz the rest of the time?

24 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Maybe i missed this in the replies but the S is a more (less?) than just a machine that outputs at a lower resolution. It's missing the disc drive too, so some cost will be absorbed by that being missing, probably the DVD licensing fee too? But also it means every single thing you buy has to be via the xbox store. No more second hand, no more cheap disc deals. Same as with the PS5 digital edition, the idea being that yes the console makes less money but it'll make it back because everyone owning one is forced to buy via the store. This all adds up much more than just going, how can it be half the price for slightly lower resolution.

Yes, but people have concerns about the Series S (more like Series SJW amirite?) because they've pre-ordered a PS5.

22 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Extremely pleased with this. Fills the big hole Infinite left. 

And if I am right Halo 5 was already locked at 60fps with dynamic resolution so that one should play great as well.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

According to the video the only thing the S doesn't do is 4k. That's it. That's what they've told us. That's the deal. Until we see comparisons and I have to eat my hat/beliefs/crow/whatever that's what it is.

You could also right now get the Series S, and enjoy that right now a next gen machine for £250 and it'll look great on your 1080p TV. 

If an upgrade to a Series X is desired even a couple years down the line, I'd imagine the upgrade process would be pretty painless. 

36 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

This all adds up much more than just going, how can it be half the price for slightly lower resolution.

1080p to 4k is 4x the pixels being rendered, so as resolution scales it's a lot more work. Obviously the leap is less so for 1440p, but it's not a linear relationship. Not an engineer so I don't know if power consumption is linear either, so maybe cooling considerations are different. 

46 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Maybe i missed this in the replies but the S is a more (less?) than just a machine that outputs at a lower resolution. It's missing the disc drive too, so some cost will be absorbed by that being missing, probably the DVD licensing fee too? But also it means every single thing you buy has to be via the xbox store. No more second hand, no more cheap disc deals. Same as with the PS5 digital edition, the idea being that yes the console makes less money but it'll make it back because everyone owning one is forced to buy via the store. This all adds up much more than just going, how can it be half the price for slightly lower resolution.

The S is half the price because the GPU and memory are the most expensive components in these consoles and it's using cheaper components but targeting a 4 x lower resolution, i'd be shocked if we don't see 'Series X' exclusives further down the line due to lack of memory but for an entry point into next gen it's a very enticing product.

14 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

You could also right now get the Series S, and enjoy that right now a next gen machine for £250 and it'll look great on your 1080p TV. 

If an upgrade to a Series X is desired even a couple years down the line, I'd imagine the upgrade process would be pretty painless. 

I would say depreciate everything you buy in 3 years when the mid-generation or whatever you call it upgrades show up. If you still have PS4/One X you could also decided to sit it out since most AAA titles from either camp won't show up before 2022. Although I reckon it will be hard to make a big jump this time around since a slight CPU or GPU upgrade in 3 years won't move the needles... the real upgrades are the faster SSD and velocity architecture. And 8K? No thanks!

I am inclined to start on a Series X and maybe add a PlayStation 5 Pro DE for 299 (or with a nice 3 game bundle) mid-generation. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams
10 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

The S is half the price because the GPU and memory are the most expensive components in these consoles and it's using cheaper components but targeting a 4 x lower resolution

Has Microsoft ever actually stated the Series S is targeting 1080p? Their unveil video stated 1440p (1m20s in).

7 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I would say depreciate everything you buy in 3 years when the mid-generation or whatever you call it upgrades show up. If you still have PS4/One X you could also decided to sit it out since most AAA titles from either camp won't show up before 2022. Although I reckon it will be hard to make a big jump this time around since a slight CPU or GPU upgrade in 3 years won't move the needles... the real upgrades are the faster SSD and velocity architecture. And 8K? No thanks!

I don't think we will see mid gen refreshes this time around, I expect we will see more games at launch using 8 cores with no SMT and over time moving to using SMT for a CPU boost, the GPU's are much closer in power to high end PC GPU's than they ever were with Base Xbox One or Base PS4.

I think concerns about the Series S seem overstated at present, when we don't have any details. We've got confirmed Series S versions everywhere from 1800p for the Falconeer down to 1080p for Destiny 2 (I think.) And even 4K for The Touryst, apparently - although presumably that's something of an outlier.

But even if it turns out MS overpromised slightly, and you essentially only get 1440p when the X is doing a full 4K as a rule, and the resolution scales down to (say) 1080p when the X is doing 1440p - which is bound to be true for some games - it feels like the half-price non-4K purchase point is still incredibly sensible. For all the boasting about all our LG OLED TVs, there's still a lot of 1080p out there. And most people can't/won't tell the difference anyway. 1080p and HDR on a 4K screen will look great, as will 1440p.

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

I don't think we will see mid gen refreshes this time around, I expect we will see more games at launch using 8 cores with no SMT and over time moving to using SMT for a CPU boost, the GPU's are much closer in power to high end PC GPU's than they ever were with Base Xbox One or Base PS4.

This is what I expect as well, although I still see some room for updates e.g. WiFi 6 on the Xbox, maybe a small GPU boost etc. But these would be more a revision (like what happened with Switch) then a mid-gen upgrade.

11 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I am inclined to start on a Series X and maybe add a PlayStation 5 Pro DE for 299 (or with a nice 3 game bundle) mid-generation. 

I have a theory, that the "mid-gen refresh" machines this gen appeared with the main motivation to "make games look good on 4K sets", or at least that's the case with Sony...who are in the business of selling TV's too and likely wanted some games content that looked really good at 4K.

Microsoft responded with the XOX which was almost an opportunity to relaunch the console with a games first focus and everything that they've been building up to now. Sony did something similar with the PS3 Slim being a bit of an image refresh.

In short, I'm taking a hunch on there not being a mid-gen refresh this time out with the new machines lasting a good while. The Series S and X are almost already all the options covered. 

But what do I know? I'm not Mystic Meg, and Microsoft have alluded to a different model to the usual console generations, so they might actually put out hardware revisions often. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

But even if it turns out MS overpromised slightly, and you essentially only get 1440p when the X is doing a full 4K as a rule, and the resolution scales down to (say) 1080p when the X is doing 1440p - which is bound to be true for some games - it feels like the half-price non-4K purchase point is still incredibly sensible. For all the boasting about all our LG OLED TVs, there's still a lot of 1080p out there. And most people can't/won't tell the difference anyway. 1080p and HDR on a 4K screen will look great, as will 1440p.

I think the Series X is the perfect 1080p console. If it delivers on that, I am happy. For 4k... I believe we are not there yet to get 4k60 native rendering in every single game this console generation. 

From what I understand the Series X is comparable to a 3700x CPU with lower clock speed and a RTX2080-ish GPU. Which suggest that the Series X will deliver great native performance between 1440p and 4k depending on the game.  Which is great really for the price!

5 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Most games will be 1080p or even lower, 1440p is just the max target, you can't aim for 4k native on an S basically.

Yes, agreed.

My point is that Microsoft haven’t actually promised anything.  People seem to be taking second-and-third-hand accounts that it will do 1080p as standard as gospel when it seems unlikely.

15 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Most games will be 1080p or even lower, 1440p is just the max target, you can't aim for 4k native on an S basically.

This is important stuff. You should probably let the devs who've targeted 1800p and 4K know this.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is important stuff. You should probably let the devs who've targeted 1800p and 4K know this.

Well obviously if you're making spelunky you can target a higher native res than if you're making Modern Warfare, at 4 teraflops it's a 1080p machine for AAA games with expensive visual effects, that's not a criticism either, i think that's great, £249.99 will just about buy you a GPU to support than in the PC space.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic