Xbox Series X | S

9 minutes ago, Darren said:

Serious answer time - this is the megathread problem all over again. We had it time and time again in the Brexit and Labour threads because people pop in who (understandably) haven't read all 400 pages or whatever, with what they think is a new and useful insight, not realising* it's the same point that's been made and refuted multiple times previously. So: you're far from the first person to bring up the Series S must be underpowered argument, but Microsoft have explicitly, directly said that's not the case. They've put out an official video explaining how they engineered the S to have exactly the same performance as the X, except at 1440 not 4K. Now you can be skeptical of those claims of course, but (i) as Moosegrinder says it would be quite a ballsy and ultimately self-owning move to lie in that way, and (ii) we'll only find out when these things are out in the world and we can see for ourselves. And so surely you can see that coming into a thread full of people who have (possibly foolishly, in your view) taken MS' claims at face value and ordered one of these things, to tell them that you think they've made a mistake, can come across as quite antagonistic, especially when we've had the exact same conversation several times already. Hence all the jokey Genuine Concerns replies.

*I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you didn't realise we'd been through this before. And before that. And before that. Of course, if you did realise but posted it anyway then that would just be trolling.

First off I don’t think I came off as antagonistic. That was definitely not my intention. I posted my personal views on Microsoft and the S/X. Other people have then just posted insults or claimed I’m a troll, all based on the fact that I’m saying stuff they don’t personally agree with. It’s more than a bit weird! On the other hand, some people have tried to discuss things I’ve brought up and made good points as they are not biased to a certain format or socially challenged. Hahaha..

I own 2 of the OG Xbox. I own a few 360s. I own 100s of games for them. I purchase stuff based on whether it has any value to me and is good, not on brand loyalty. I was looking at buying either a Series S or X alongside my PS5. I haven’t bought one at this time as I find what Microsoft are currently offering, underwhelming and confused.

To address your point - I don’t think the S is underpowered. I actually think it looks like a decent console. I’ve got a 55inch 4k screen. The PS4 looks amazing on it. Yeah, 4k stuff looks better.......but not that much better. I’d sooner have a console hitting 1440p/60fps, or even 1080p/60fps with mindblowing graphics than a slightly better image quality. However, on early titles on PS5/X that’s what we’re already seeing, so not sure where that leaves the S going forwards.

I’m questioning whether the S is just a lower resolution X or not.  If the only difference between the PS5/X and the S is 4k output then Microsoft should be shouting that from the rooftops and SHOWING IT OFF.......

especially considering it’s £200 cheaper than it’s rival and also as they have stated that they expect the S to far outsell the X anyway. If that’s the case Microsoft are fucking up their launch spectacularly. I know loads of people that have jumped to PS5. I have no doubt they would have got an S if they thought it was just as powerful but not 4k.

Microsoft should have been pushing the S from day 1 if that’s the case, along with securing exclusives, creating exclusives and making new IP that’s ready to go from launch. I’d go as far as saying they should have dropped the X and focused solely on the S. Hit the mainstream running and gathered up as much market share as possible, before Sony brings out its big guns.....which they will be bringing out within one year of the PS5’s release.

So yeah, my money has gone to Sony on a PS5 because they have given me a clear picture of the future for PlayStation. Microsoft on the other hand are making lots of great sounding statements and promises but there’s very little to actually show at the moment outside of great backwards compatibility. 

39 minutes ago, Darren said:

this is the megathread problem all over again.

YES! 

I actually think it's fine for people to wring their hands about consoles if they want to, but the only space they do it in is in the topic where people come to enthuse and find info is the problem. I actually posted something in the PS5 thread about Dolby Vision and Audio coming to Xbox and felt bad about it because I realised after that people who have ordered a PS5 just want to be enthusiastic about a once in every 5+ years event and don't need me saying "oh no, but how will you enjoy your games knowing that the system doesn't meet industry standards for something or other" which effectively means fuck all to anyone once the controller is in your hand and the tv's on (Xbox will be better though, obvs).

I think this year has been tough enough for most people, without forcing everyone together to bicker endlessly. I would imagine FullyAspel probably isn't enjoying getting called out for his posts and maybe he did just want to talk it over - I don't really care what his motivation was, I just am not up for seeing arguments and bullshit, it'd be nice if he had either created another thread or if this thread wasn't the only place to talk about series consoles.  

In fact, I reckon it'd be a good move to delete this topic on launch day, start "my new console" threads on launch days and generally try to move away from catch all topics.  Especially when it comes to games, we should be able to manage to create a thread per game (AND IT WON'T BE MUCH OF A PROBLEM ON THE SERIES CONSOLES LAUNCHES OHMYLOL).

Yup. I just posted about streaming to the iOS app in the game pass thread and didn't realize there were already pages of discussion of it in here. 

Megathreads are terrible for the most part. 

12 minutes ago, footle said:

He's trolling, because he's a troll. This isn't the first or last time, and he should probably have been banned already - or at least pointed in the direction of the tumbleweed that's the thread of his preferred console of choice.

What part of “I’m not a troll” are you struggling with? I’ll try again - I’m not a troll.

Just because our viewpoints differ, it does not mean that there’s a big conspiracy......it just means that in the real world people have different views on things. They even do crazy things like airing those views and discussing them with others. Fucking hell! Maybe you’ve spent too long sat on the internet and have forgotten how the real world works?

8 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

First off I don’t think I came off as antagonistic. That was definitely not my intention. I posted my personal views on Microsoft and the S/X. Other people have then just posted insults or claimed I’m a troll, all based on the fact that I’m saying stuff they don’t personally agree with. It’s more than a bit weird! On the other hand, some people have tried to discuss things I’ve brought up and made good points as they are not biased to a certain format or socially challenged. Hahaha..

I own 2 of the OG Xbox. I own a few 360s. I own 100s of games for them. I purchase stuff based on whether it has any value to me and is good, not on brand loyalty. I was looking at buying either a Series S or X alongside my PS5. I haven’t bought one at this time as I find what Microsoft are currently offering, underwhelming and confused.

To address your point - I don’t think the S is underpowered. I actually think it looks like a decent console. I’ve got a 55inch 4k screen. The PS4 looks amazing on it. Yeah, 4k stuff looks better.......but not that much better. I’d sooner have a console hitting 1440p/60fps, or even 1080p/60fps with mindblowing graphics than a slightly better image quality. However, on early titles on PS5/X that’s what we’re already seeing, so not sure where that leaves the S going forwards.

I’m questioning whether the S is just a lower resolution X or not.  If the only difference between the PS5/X and the S is 4k output then Microsoft should be shouting that from the rooftops and SHOWING IT OFF.......

especially considering it’s £200 cheaper than it’s rival and also as they have stated that they expect the S to far outsell the X anyway. If that’s the case Microsoft are fucking up their launch spectacularly. I know loads of people that have jumped to PS5. I have no doubt they would have got an S if they thought it was just as powerful but not 4k.

Microsoft should have been pushing the S from day 1 if that’s the case, along with securing exclusives, creating exclusives and making new IP that’s ready to go from launch. I’d go as far as saying they should have dropped the X and focused solely on the S. Hit the mainstream running and gathered up as much market share as possible, before Sony brings out its big guns.....which they will be bringing out within one year of the PS5’s release.

So yeah, my money has gone to Sony on a PS5 because they have given me a clear picture of the future for PlayStation. Microsoft on the other hand are making lots of great sounding statements and promises but there’s very little to actually show at the moment outside of great backwards compatibility. 

fatigue.gif

4 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

So your response to being told that we've been through all this many times already, and are fed up of doing it all over again, is to simply restate your position along with accusations of being biased and socially challenged in the same paragraph you claim not to be intentionally antagonistic?

I'm starting to think you haven't even got an Ikea AV cabinet.

19 minutes ago, footle said:

or at least pointed in the direction of the tumbleweed that's the thread of his preferred console of choice.

“Tumbleweed”. That’s not a live and let live I’m above the console wars dig at all lol

8 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

YES! 

I actually think it's fine for people to wring their hands about consoles if they want to, but the only space they do it in is in the topic where people come to enthuse and find info is the problem. I actually posted something in the PS5 thread about Dolby Vision and Audio coming to Xbox and felt bad about it because I realised after that people who have ordered a PS5 just want to be enthusiastic about a once in every 5+ years event and don't need me saying "oh no, but how will you enjoy your games knowing that the system doesn't meet industry standards for something or other" which effectively means fuck all to anyone once the controller is in your hand and the tv's on (Xbox will be better though, obvs).

I think this year has been tough enough for most people, without forcing everyone together to bicker endlessly. I would imagine FullyAspel probably isn't enjoying getting called out for his posts and maybe he did just want to talk it over - I don't really care what his motivation was, I just am not up for seeing arguments and bullshit, it'd be nice if he had either created another thread or if this thread wasn't the only place to talk about series consoles.  

In fact, I reckon it'd be a good move to delete this topic on launch day, start "my new console" threads on launch days and generally try to move away from catch all topics.  Especially when it comes to games, we should be able to manage to create a thread per game (AND IT WON'T BE MUCH OF A PROBLEM ON THE SERIES CONSOLES LAUNCHES OHMYLOL).

The real problem is that sometimes when someone tries to make a valid point, there are often others who just start accusing them of shit, shutting down any real discussion and acting like dicks, all because they don’t like to hear anything that differs from their personal viewpoint. Ironically I’ve noticed a lot of these people on here are SJW that stand up for rights and free speech and shit (providing it’s something they’re personally invested in or is currently trending on Instagram). It’s pretty funny/sad really!

10 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

The real problem is that sometimes when someone tries to make a valid point, there are often others who just start accusing them of shit, shutting down any real discussion and acting like dicks, all because they don’t like to hear anything that differs from their personal viewpoint. Ironically I’ve noticed a lot of these people on here are SJW that stand up for rights and free speech and shit (providing it’s something they’re personally invested in or is currently trending on Instagram). It’s pretty funny/sad really!

Nah, the real problem is that people think that when people come in this thread to voice their concerns, it feels like they're doing so pointedly. You may not agree, but the response you got is informed by people being fed up of reading bullshit like "gamepass is terrible value" "Xbox will overheat", etc. etc.  

If your discussion were framed properly and put somewhere else then people who want to have that discussion would be able to do so. As is, you've placed it here, where most people are both aware of the situation and have seen many, many, attempts to discredit Microsoft's offering and are still ok with buying the new system - looking forward to it even. 

FWIW, I didn't even read your post (or even the entirety of the post I am quoting here) because once I got a bit in I could tell it wasn't going to be a discussion I was going to be interested in, but I still had to wade through the resultant posts and your attempts to gain ground back from people who aren't ever going to be converted to your point of view. So, I'd just rather we could all skip it. It's a waste of time and takes some of the pleasure out of a hobby.  But, as noted earlier, because this is the place to discuss everything to do with Xbox, this is where you put your post. I'm not criticising that per se.

1 minute ago, Fully Aspel said:

all because they don’t like to hear anything that differs from their personal viewpoint

More fool me for responding, but this is where your assumptions are faulty. It's not about not wanting to hear different viewpoints, it's about not wanting to have the same conversation all over again. I'm not offended in the slightest by you being skeptical about MS' claims for the S. I'm surprised you didn't know about the Bethesda acquisition though.

10 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Was with you on the relative merits of gamepass but SJWs? Does everything single thing have to be about Culture Wars.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone heard anything about Series S embargoes? I was hoping something might drop today, but we haven't even had confirmation of journalists having them.

They're delaying it as long as possible before the inevitable reveal that inside the box it's just two Spectrums* taped together.

*both 16K

30 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

First off I don’t think I came off as antagonistic. That was definitely not my intention. I posted my personal views on Microsoft and the S/X.

Never go Fully Sealion.

40 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

YES! 

Wait, the PS5 doesn't have Dolby Vision?!

That's actually a pretty huge deal if you own one of the LG OLED TVs. 

I had no idea that was missing.

19 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Aspel?'s first post was bang on the money about the launch line up but his take on the S was a bit iffy.

Well at least someone gets where I’m coming from! I’m not 100% up on the S but that’s part of my point - Microsoft should be getting the info out there clearly and concisely, showing it off and letting everyone know what it can do! They’d get a sale here if they can do that and show off a new Ninja Gaiden........or get some exclusive Sega games again! :)

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

More fool me for responding, but this is where your assumptions are faulty. It's not about not wanting to hear different viewpoints, it's about not wanting to have the same conversation all over again. I'm not offended in the slightest by you being skeptical about MS' claims for the S. I'm surprised you didn't know about the Bethesda acquisition though.

So basically, I can’t have my say because other people have already said similar stuff. Yeah, that’s fair! Also......I was being sarcastic with regards to the Zenimax purchase. Don’t really agree with Microsoft just buying studios up as they don’t exactly have a great track record. I’d prefer they make some new IP with the studios they already have.

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Wait, the PS5 doesn't have Dolby Vision?!

That's actually a pretty huge deal if you own one of the LG OLED TVs. 

I had no idea that was missing.

Yeah, I have an LG and was pretty pleased to see that Xbox will be playing happy with it. 

Dolby put some info at this link. In the other thread someone said it either didn't exist or that it was too processor intensive to think of but you might like to look at this link anyway.

https://www.dolby.com/Gaming/

Sony are doing their own standards for Audio and Video, I believe. 

I think any take on the S and it's relative power/output compared to X is fair game right now

I'm impressed with all Microsoft's messaging in this area but in the end they don't actually have control here. Maybe they'll do what they say for first party titles but it's completely free for a third party to decide the experience they'll offer and how they use the respective capabilities of the S and X. I think we'll see all sorts of variable performance gaps between the S and X. Sometimes just res and other times effects so that the res gap can be narrowed or maintained depending on a game's individual characteristics.

I don't say this a negative particularly. It's just reality. In the same way I find statements that the PS5 and Series X are 4k/60 consoles. That's just bullshit marketing. It's the platform holders ideal. I'm sure we'll see games running at that or 120fps. And then someone else will only go to 4k/30 or 1800p/60 because the power just isn't there for the vision they have.

22 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Was with you on the relative merits of gamepass but SJWs? Does everything single thing have to be about Culture Wars.

Nah, can’t be doing with it myself mate. Just pointing out how contradictory some folk on here are. Anyway, I’ve had my say. Hopefully we’ll see more from Microsoft soon on the S and on some proper next gen games. The same goes for Sony too.......just in case that upsets any of the snowflakes. Hahaha.

Maybe i missed this in the replies but the S is a more (less?) than just a machine that outputs at a lower resolution. It's missing the disc drive too, so some cost will be absorbed by that being missing, probably the DVD licensing fee too? But also it means every single thing you buy has to be via the xbox store. No more second hand, no more cheap disc deals. Same as with the PS5 digital edition, the idea being that yes the console makes less money but it'll make it back because everyone owning one is forced to buy via the store. This all adds up much more than just going, how can it be half the price for slightly lower resolution.

Places like CD-Keys regularly do games for the xbox in key only form for less than the official store price, wouldn't surprise me to see other publishers doing a retail key in a box or card for stores as well.

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Guys, guys, guys, does anyone  know if anyone on the forum happens to own an LG OLED TELEVISION, enquiring minds want to know.

I do. It’s broken twice in as many years. They’re not all they’re cracked up to be.

@Fully Aspel, what's weird is that you're bemoaning MS' first-party output when Microsoft now own more studios and development shops than Sony do, especially after the Zenimax purchase:

EiiObhkXcAEJrtU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It seems a particularly shaky argument when you come in touting that the PS5 is in a better position because of a remake, some DLC, and a demo. The truth is the pandemic has hit all game studios hard, which can be seen by literally everything being pushed back.

Regardless, you could make an argument that Sony have a better track record, although most of these Xbox studios were bought in the previous 2 years or so - it takes time to make and release games.

Sony will probably have more exclusive third-person action adventure games if that's more your jam.

Post-Zenimax purchase Xbox is absolutely the home of WRPGs. If you like the genre in any way, shape or form you basically have to either purchase an Xbox or a PC, as all the major players are now exclusive to both.

Game Pass means that Microsoft's studios tend to put out shorter, weirder, more esoteric games.

There is an argument that you don't need an Xbox if you have a PC as all MS studios games are coming to PC - I think that's a fair one.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic