Xbox Series X | S

I'm a PlayStation gamer first and foremost.

I've owned an Xbox One and two Xbox One X during this generation. I realised that I just didn't play the Xbox enough to justify keeping it.

If, however, I walk into Smyth's Toys on 10th November and they've, miraculously, got a Series S on the shelf I'm going to find it difficult to keep my credit card in my wallet.

Microsoft have done so much right in the build up to this launch it's impossible to ignore how they are changing gaming.

I was thinking last night. What with Wales going into lockdown until the 9th November. Has this date been chosen to avoid problems with people picking up their consoles the day after? ;)

Also, how many sphinkters are twitching at the thought of a full lockdown over November meaning that potentially not being able to go and pick the consoles up?

7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Microsoft have done so much right in the build up to this launch it's impossible to ignore how they are changing gaming.

Microsoft seem to be getting it together generally these days. They have some nice consumer hardware out there, Windows 10 is a great, reliable experience (speaking personally anyway), and the new Edge Browser is seeing good pickup (and it's excellent).

With the new X Box imminent, it will be interesting to see where they are in 5 years.

3 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I'm a PlayStation gamer first and foremost.

I've owned an Xbox One and two Xbox One X during this generation. I realised that I just didn't play the Xbox enough to justify keeping it.

If, however, I walk into Smyth's Toys on 10th November and they've, miraculously, got a Series S on the shelf I'm going to find it difficult to keep my credit card in my wallet.

That’s fair enough. PlayStation was leagues ahead this gen and they got all their studios firing on all cylinders, producing some incredible games. I hope that after all the studios MS have bought recently, we see a similar gen from them. It’s really the only thing missing now and I can’t imagine they’d have spent all the money they have and put all the effort into the hardware if they weren’t serious about it. Should be a belting generation for everyone.

I also reckon you’ll be able to grab an S at launch, but are you sure you don’t want an X instead? :D

3 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

@AceGrace I've been thing about this for both console launches.

If anywhere is in lockdown when either machine launches and customers have chosen to pick up from physical shops will the retailers change everything to delivery?

Well mine is with GAME high street and interestingly they have just tweeted that in the event of non essential shop closures, everyone will be contacted offering alternative means of collection or delivery so thankfully they seem to be on the ball (plus they will need to sort out taking the rest of our money!).

28 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I see the Xbox iOS app has updated but I can’t seem to find achievements or anyway to upload to YouTube?

Ageed, no friends feed so cant easily see mates videos after a good night multiplayer and cant find achievements.  Will miss that

All over remote play though - I've been waiting years for that even tho the use case is diminished now thanks to lockdown!

8 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

@AceGrace I've been thing about this for both console launches.

If anywhere is in lockdown when either machine launches and customers have chosen to pick up from physical shops will the retailers change everything to delivery?

Might explain why Game charges £10 for delivery on collection preorders.

6 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Not on iOS though right? It’s giving me the option in the app, but I thought Apple weren’t allowing it. Yet.

I think I’ve basically decided to stick with the Series X. When I realised the Series S will have a piddly ~400GB of usable space, the thought of juggling games on that small a drive and having to buy an external drive immediately puts a dent in the cost saving over the X. 

And I’m determined to hold out for a PS5 hardware revision, rather than go for an S and PS5 combo. 

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not on iOS though right? It’s giving me the option in the app, but I thought Apple weren’t allowing it. Yet.

Remote streaming from your own console is fine on iOS (which is what this option is about).

iOS won't allow streaming from the cloud in the app (with the rumour being there'll be a web based implementation for it).

Just now, Hitcher said:

It's using a browser to get around playing it natively apparently.

Oh right, so it’s all working then? I’ll have to give it a go.

Just now, thesnwmn said:

Remote streaming from your own console is fine on iOS (which is what this option is about).

iOS won't allow streaming from the cloud in the app (with the rumour being there'll be a web based implementation for it).

Ah yeah, this’ll be it.

The best addition for me is the ability to install games you don't currently own because I get my digital copies as Gifts which mean you can use them once a game is released, not a problem now though as I can install it ahead of release time.

Currently have Assassin's Creed Valhalla installed to my external SSD ready to plug straight into my Series X and transfer on day 1.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

That’s fair enough. PlayStation was leagues ahead this gen and they got all their studios firing on all cylinders, producing some incredible games. I hope that after all the studios MS have bought recently, we see a similar gen from them. It’s really the only thing missing now and I can’t imagine they’d have spent all the money they have and put all the effort into the hardware if they weren’t serious about it. Should be a belting generation for everyone.

I believe 2022 is the year that the Xbox will start to be handing out the heavy blows. 

2021 will likely see the release of some nice games (e.g. Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport in Q4) but not the heavy hitters like Perfect Dark, Senua 2, Fable, Starfield, new games from Arkane, ID Tech, Machine games etc. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic