Xbox Series X | S

^ my tv does something like that, although i don't think it's proper scaling as it only works for 1080p input, using 4 pixels for each one - and it doesn't look as good as when you let the tv scale it normally.

9 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Any horror stories from anybody who ordered at Currys? was it an easy process £2000 discount code aside?

Yep, as easy as any other store.

There is a strange option to start with where they want your postcode without asking for a house number and then state "We'll deliver your Xbox to <Street Name>" which made me worry I'd missed something, but you do enter your full address later on so I guess they're just checking first that you don't live on some remote island somewhere.

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Thanks! Why don't they do integer scaling though? Seems weird, when 1 pixel of a 1080 image could easily fit into 4 for 4K. Maybe I'm just too used to how Photoshop handles it and I'm thinking about it wrong.

Photoshop's scaling isn't brilliant but that isn't how it works, unless you only use nearest neighbour to scale which would be bizarre beyond words.

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

Photoshop's scaling isn't brilliant but that isn't how it works, unless you only use nearest neighbour to scale which would be bizarre beyond words.

I use nearest neighbour quite a lot on logos and things, when I don’t want it to try and anti-alias the edges, which it always makes a mess of. I just thought with games being pixel based, it’d make more sense. Obviously TV scalers are a lot better than photoshop!

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

It's silly to pine for 4k60, when 1440p looks pretty much exactly the same on any TV below 75".

1440p60 is a much more realistic thing to pine for, and as a bonus is something the consoles should actually hit.

I honestly wouldn't know, I have nothing outputting games above 1080p. But I get your point, I haven't been impressed with 4k video streams in the slightest. 

17 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I honestly wouldn't know, I have nothing outputting games above 1080p. But I get your point, I haven't been impressed with 4k video streams in the slightest. 

Compression does bad things to 4k, especially game footage and especially YouTube. 

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

What marketing? Some tiny weeny fraction of customers are even aware what 120fps means (or were aware what 60fps meant). Anything pushing that message to the mainstream is falling on deaf ears imo.

I see it as the box for most people. I'm sure it won't quite play out like that but I don't think most people care. Ignore resolution and gubbins and basically the X is for better looking games whilst the S will do it all for less money but slightly fewer shinies.

Plus, over the what, 5-7 years of this generation TVs will be upgraded although whether they'll be 4k is another matter. Is there value in a 4k screen less then 32-40"?

This is the thing isn’t it, the 360 launched with only a couple of actual 720p screens ( I had one and it was a commercial plasma that cost small car money) the Samsung everyone bought was a pile of crap that couldn’t do 60hz @ 720p properly so it’s the same situation as now that as the consoles settle in and evolve the tellies that can do VRR and 120hz will become mainstream - oddly I am in a worse position tv wise for the series x than I was for the 360, 4k lcd with no 120hz or VRR and my old LG B8 is in the same boat!

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

I use nearest neighbour quite a lot on logos and things, when I don’t want it to try and anti-alias the edges, which it always makes a mess of. I just thought with games being pixel based, it’d make more sense. Obviously TV scalers are a lot better than photoshop!

Films, tv, photographs, games - almost everything besides vector artwork are pixel based and none of them are best served by nearest neighour (even logos - besides maybe pixel art). Regardless, you must be aware that isn't the only scaling option available to Photoshop.

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Compression does bad things to 4k, especially game footage and especially YouTube. 

My connection is 100meg and my TV wired to router, but it struggled with a 4k YouTube feed of some XSX footage the other day. I can't remember the last time a video buffered like that, it should have flashed up a RealPlayer logo for added nostalgia. 

24 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Films, tv, photographs, games - almost everything besides vector artwork are pixel based and none of them are best served by nearest neighour (even logos - besides maybe pixel art). Regardless, you must be aware that isn't the only scaling option available to Photoshop.

Yeah, course I am. As I said, I think I’m just going off Photoshop being so bad at it.

46 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

This is the thing isn’t it, the 360 launched with only a couple of actual 720p screens ( I had one and it was a commercial plasma that cost small car money) the Samsung everyone bought was a pile of crap that couldn’t do 60hz @ 720p properly so it’s the same situation as now that as the consoles settle in and evolve the tellies that can do VRR and 120hz will become mainstream - oddly I am in a worse position tv wise for the series x than I was for the 360, 4k lcd with no 120hz or VRR and my old LG B8 is in the same boat!

Check out this guy with his living on a boat humble brag

4 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I won't be taking a day off work, but most of what I do is on my schedule so I won't have to worry about checking in with anyone and will be able to stop to enjoy it. 

I've got mine coming via amazon Prime, I might look and see if I can upgrade delivery to before midday or something now it's been mentioned. 

To be honest though, I veer between a little bit excited and pragmatically thinking what will I do with it. A bit like getting a new laptop, the software will be the same, it'll just be a bit quicker, etc. Because of that, I'm going to stop looking at YouTube impressions, etc. It'll be nice to enjoy getting the hardware up and running without knowing everything that's going to happen before I've opened the box.

What always scares me about changing anything on Amazon was preorder dates changing. Don't ask me to quote when (as i remember the scenario and details but not the exact product launch) but I remember people changing their address and or payment methods for a preorder and the shipping date changing.

My X is also preodered with Amazon Prime and ideally i'd like to change payment method but i've convinced myself to leave as is.

The other thing that scares me is when banks don't authorise large payments to check for fraudulent activity. Never happened to me but again have saw it in console launch threads.

Would be great if Amazon let you pay it off early to ensure any of the above doesn't happen.

I'm just being paranoid right?

5 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

What always scares me about changing anything on Amazon was preorder dates changing. Don't ask me to quote when (as i remember the scenario and details but not the exact product launch) but I remember people changing their address and or payment methods for a preorder and the shipping date changing.

My X is also preodered with Amazon Prime and ideally i'd like to change payment method but i've convinced myself to leave as is.

The other thing that scares me is when banks don't authorise large payments to check for fraudulent activity. Never happened to me but again have saw it in console launch threads.

Would be great if Amazon let you pay it off early to ensure any of the above doesn't happen.

I'm just being paranoid right?

Whilst I suspect you are being paranoid, for peace of mind you could pay all or some of it now using Amazon credit. If you check out your order you should see a button to apply gift card balance, so you could pay £400 now and then the charge on your card closer to launch would only be £50.

You could even knock £10 off the cost if this offer is still active.

12 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

I changed the payment method for my Xbox controllers (the new ones) and nothing changed. But they're not supply limited at the moment. But otherwise just contact their support and have them do it. Or use one of your other payments to top up Amazon credit which it will always use first if you have that setting enabled. 

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

I have loads of leave to use because of being furloughed for 5 months, using a week of it for launch. 

Day before I'm getting the second jag of a covid vaccine trial so hopefully I don't die! 

I was furloughed for 5 months then 50% the last 2 months so no point taking any.

If I'm back 100% in November I could probably just take December off.

2 hours ago, kris_doe said:

I assume it's basically impossible to find a pre order for a series x now? Having last minute fear of missing out

Yep, sold out everywhere.  Only hope is if they release more day 1 stock between now and launch.  

44 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Whilst I suspect you are being paranoid, for peace of mind you could pay all or some of it now using Amazon credit. If you check out your order you should see a button to apply gift card balance, so you could pay £400 now and then the charge on your card closer to launch would only be £50.

Thanks !! I'm going to go sort this now.

Going back a few pages to the excitement caused by @Darren marvellous post, I must be one of the very few who has an instore, old fashioned, old skool high street pre order!  :P My only concern was any non-essential shop closures due to lockdown but looks like I should be ok on that front.  So my 10 Nov will simply be take a 10 mins drive during work from home lunch, park the car, 5 mins walk to GAME, collect the goods (Series X for me) and come home.  I do have the week off commencing 23 Nov from work which shall be a Series X week, mainly on Dirt 5, 4K 60FPS Forza Horizon 4 and Cyberpunk no doubt.   I very much though still look forward to reading all the courier dispatch day, courier delivery day shenanigans and excitement! :D

41 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Yep, sold out everywhere.  Only hope is if they release more day 1 stock between now and launch.  

I'd keep an eye Curry's start of next week. Those who 'pre-preordered' there have until Sunday night to confirm, they might release any which are abandoned as fresh stock I suppose. Although they may also just hold onto that stock for launch day. Won't be very many I'm sure. 

6 hours ago, rgraves said:

I can see the reasoning, but what would that mean if I turned up to collect one and the other hadn't arrived yet - would you not let me take it?  :lol:

At what point would you cancel one - because that's the point you'd just change the address instead?

I think in my head I’m imagining that once both arrive and I’ve opened one and found it works fine then the other can go. 

I didn’t mean to order two, the MS one was going slow but went through while I was on Amazon. 

The only reason I didn’t cancel immediately was that I thought it might be handy to have a back up what with launch hardware but only really if someone might want the other. 

It’s weird I know, but that’s the benefit to me over just cancelling. 

It's looking increasingly likely that we will be breaking circuits, or at best in local lockdown by the time these release. As depressing as that is, the cold winter months, locked in with a new console does manage to warm my spirits a little. No way I'm waiting till christmas on this one.

8 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

As depressing as that is, the cold winter months, locked in with a new console does manage to warm my spirits a little.

Spare a thought for us (overworked) key workers when it happens.

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

Absolute legend. Just saved me a tenner, paid £350 for a voucher and got £360 balance and applied it to my XSX order :) only £89.99 left to pay.

13 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I'm an overworked key worker. 

(I just meant all the times I wasn't travelling the london hellscape to risk my families lives over feck all, and so wasn't allowed out the house, I could play my new computer games)

15 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

13 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm an overworked key worker. 

Don't spend all your claps at once! How many claps is a series X worth anyways? (GF is a nurse, so know where you guys are coming from).

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic