Xbox Series X | S

I’ll probably just continue to WFH on launch day - made the mistake at the PS4 launch of taking the day off and it didn’t arrive till about 6pm - likely take the 11th off then book some more time to dive into cyberpunk the week after. 

Riddle me this, the Series S is the 1080p console from MS, a value offering for those with 1080p TVs. I see it as the kids bedroom machine, may be I'm wrong, but the marketing is pushing the 120fps. But don't most if not all 1080p tvs only support 60fps? Therefore those wanting 120fps fortnite boxes are going to need a new TV to get there, a 4K TV no doubt. At which point, you should have probably got a Series X!

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

So, for those working from home, are you taking the day off on the 10th or carry on working with the hope not to get caught presenting on MS Teams when the delivery driver arrives (and promptly buggers off with the Xbox when they can't get an answer)?

I'm going for day off, even thought the bloody thing probably won't arrive until 5pm or some such nonsense.

Surely unless you are presenting to the nation live on TV or something in these times you can apologise for having a delivery and disappear for 60 seconds to let someone in?

11 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Riddle me this, the Series S is the 1080p console from MS, a value offering for those with 1080p TVs. I see it as the kids bedroom machine, may be I'm wrong, but the marketing is pushing the 120fps. But don't most if not all 1080p tvs only support 60fps? Therefore those wanting 120fps fortnite boxes are going to need a new TV to get there, a 4K TV no doubt. At which point, you should have probably got a Series X!

What marketing? Some tiny weeny fraction of customers are even aware what 120fps means (or were aware what 60fps meant). Anything pushing that message to the mainstream is falling on deaf ears imo.

I see it as the box for most people. I'm sure it won't quite play out like that but I don't think most people care. Ignore resolution and gubbins and basically the X is for better looking games whilst the S will do it all for less money but slightly fewer shinies.

Plus, over the what, 5-7 years of this generation TVs will be upgraded although whether they'll be 4k is another matter. Is there value in a 4k screen less then 32-40"?

15 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I don't think MS have once said it's aimed at 1080p. If it were, they could save money and make it even less powerful. I think it's targeting 1440p because 1440p looks great on 4K TVs. It's designed to be a cheaper alternative to the X that still looks great on a 4K display. The fact that it will look great downscaled to 1080p is just a bonus.

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

What marketing? Some tiny weeny fraction of customers are even aware what 120fps means (or were aware what 60fps meant). Anything pushing that message to the mainstream is falling on deaf ears imo.

I see it as the box for most people. I'm sure it won't quite play out like that but I don't think most people care. Ignore resolution and gubbins and basically the X is for better looking games whilst the S will do it all for less money but slightly fewer shinies.

Plus, over the what, 5-7 years of this generation TVs will be upgraded although whether they'll be 4k is another matter. Is there value in a 4k screen less then 32-40"?

I saw it in my local Game store on the weekend and it struck me as odd selling a console for lower end TVs that won't support 120fps whilst marketing it as being able to do 120fps.

6 minutes ago, Quexex said:

That's how i see it too, except with its output being 1440p you could actually stick it on the vast majority of 4k TVs and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the series X, assuming the resolution is indeed the only difference between the two consoles' output.  I'll be using it on a smaller 1080p TV in my office, though.

In terms of 120fps, i think the problem here is that very few TVs support this - you've got to have upgraded your TV pretty recently, and paid a decent sum, to have that feature.  I upgraded to a 4k HDR TV a couple of years ago, and it doesn't do 120fps.  I'm very happy with my TV though and not about to upgrade just for that feature.  I think the numbers benefitting from 120fps will be extremely low on either console, but on the S particularly.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't think MS have once said it's aimed at 1080p. If it were, they could save money and make it even less powerful. I think it's targeting 1440p because 1440p looks great on 4K TVs. It's designed to be a cheaper alternative to the X that still looks great on a 4K display. The fact that it will look great downscaled to 1080p is just a bonus.

I guess it's just me that's missing the point then. I would only ever get the X anyway, need that disc drive ;)

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Maybe a daft question but why is 1440 considered better than 1080 on 4K TVs?

1080 is exactly half the vertical resolution, but 1440 doesn't divide into it at all...

TV scalers don't do integer scaling so you get a slightly blurred image anyway. 1440p has nearly twice as many pixels for the scaler to work with when upping it to 4k.

46 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Don’t read the marketing just for that box. It’s about suggesting that the only difference is resolution, not cpu.

25 minutes ago, layten said:

TV scalers don't do integer scaling so you get a slightly blurred image anyway. 1440p has nearly twice as many pixels for the scaler to work with when upping it to 4k.

Thanks! Why don't they do integer scaling though? Seems weird, when 1 pixel of a 1080 image could easily fit into 4 for 4K. Maybe I'm just too used to how Photoshop handles it and I'm thinking about it wrong.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic