Xbox Series X | S

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

Native 4K 60 is a huge ask of any machine in 2020-  PC, PS5 or Xbox Series X. 

Exactly so, those imagining that 4K 60 will somehow be the minimum for next gen machines are going to be really disappointed I suspect. Even without ray tracing it's an extremely demanding number of pixels/second to render. Happily, unless you're sat a few feet from a 78" panel, native 4K is pretty much irrelevant - it's a non-issue. 

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Exactly so, those imagining that 4K 60 will somehow be the minimum for next gen machines

I mean, has 60 fps ever been the minimum? (ntsc vsync notwithstanding). As we all pined for 1080p60 before, we'll pine for 4k@60 here. Or I dunno, be happy if we hit it. 

That said, I thought FH4 was attaining it? So it's a "huge ask" in terms of the burden of new levels of shiny that will get added. 

I’d be surprised if FH4 can’t reach it. It’ll hit it easily on a PC with much lower graphics power.

Difference between a game that’s optimised to the hilt to run on an Xbox One and a port: it can sustain 1080p60 on the One X’s Jaguar Mobile CPU cores ffs.

All this "concern" makes me glad I don't have a PS4 or xbox one. (and my pc is weak). 

When you're used to the max power of a Switch, as great as that console is, anything is going to feel nicely next gen for me. 

I think I like the newer trend of having graphics settings on console. I would hate for them to get as complex as they are on PC (trying to figure out what each AA setting means... Ugh). But simply being able to choose FPS over detail or vice versa, is probably sensible. 

8 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Yakuza only hitting 60fps if they run at 1080p on the Series X and no games with ray tracing at launch, the fact Microsoft haven't shown off any games running on XSX Hardware still makes me extremely concerned about the console and the state it's in for launch.

Series X gameplay footage was released in the last few days for Dirt 5. Plenty of videos on YouTube.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

I mean, has 60 fps ever been the minimum? (ntsc vsync notwithstanding). As we all pined for 1080p60 before, we'll pine for 4k@60 here. Or I dunno, be happy if we hit it. 

That said, I thought FH4 was attaining it? So it's a "huge ask" in terms of the burden of new levels of shiny that will get added. 

It's silly to pine for 4k60, when 1440p looks pretty much exactly the same on any TV below 75".

1440p60 is a much more realistic thing to pine for, and as a bonus is something the consoles should actually hit.

8 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Yakuza only hitting 60fps if they run at 1080p on the Series X and no games with ray tracing at launch, the fact Microsoft haven't shown off any games running on XSX Hardware still makes me extremely concerned about the console and the state it's in for launch.

Spoiler: neither console will do ray tracing well this generation :)

The GPUs on both don't have the dedicated compute power for it.

They will both bodge solutions though, that much is true.

I think everyone contributing to this, and the PS5 mega thread, have now either accused or been accused of concern trolling. So there shouldn’t be any need for further contribution on the matter, thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

To be fair to @gooner4life this wait for the new consoles is excruciating and while MS have given us some info the news has dried up for both of them, I think he is just trying to entertain us - he is a modern day Dame Vera Lynn.

He should get his magic pad out again. That was more fun.

So went ahead with paying £2500 £444 for my Series X last night :) I also upgraded my GamePass subscription from PC to Ultimate and played around with XCloud for a bit. It actually works really well and was surprised by how little lag I was seeing. Had a quick go with Doom Eternal, Forza 7 and Gears 5 and all pretty good considering it's running on XSS hardware. The only issue was on my side as my only Android tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 which unfortunately doesn't seem to play well with bluetooth controllers. Tried it on my phone though and it works perfectly.

Pretty excited to receive the thing and see what it can do :D  

So, for those working from home, are you taking the day off on the 10th or carry on working with the hope not to get caught presenting on MS Teams when the delivery driver arrives (and promptly buggers off with the Xbox when they can't get an answer)?

I'm going for day off, even thought the bloody thing probably won't arrive until 5pm or some such nonsense.

1 minute ago, Jg15 said:

So, for those working from home, are you taking the day off on the 10th or carry on working with the hope not to get caught presenting on MS Teams when the delivery driver arrives (and promptly buggers off with the Xbox when they can't get an answer)?

I'm going for day off, even thought the bloody thing probably won't arrive until 5pm or some such nonsense.

I have a load of holidays backed up due to not having any cover over lockdown so may plan is to take a couple of days off around both console launch days (probably 10th and 11th). I'm fully expecting to be sitting around waiting for the courier most of the day, but I'm going to take the opportunity to rearrange all my media cabinet setup/wiring that morning so things can all slot in nicely when they arrive.

2 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I've just taken the afternoon off, on the basis that once it arrives I'll plug it in and start it downloading something (probably including an OS day 1 update) which will take ages anyway.

Then I've taken the rest of the week off to actually play with it :D.

7 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I’m thinking I’ll work the launch day then take the following 2 days off as I think it launches on a Wed?

My door bell sucks but you have to walk past my dining room (home office) to get to the front door, so less chance of missing it too.

I took Switch launch day off and it arrived from Amazon at 7:45 PM!

I think Sainsbury’s double up nectar offer starts the day after too, so might start the day off by COVID dodging at my local branch in the hope of a cheap/free launch title..

My fave was the One X from Amazon. I took the day off, waited in all day watching the delivery driver go backwards and forwards across Bristol in some crazy nonsensical zig zag pattern before finally getting to my house just at school pick up time.

Luckily my daughters school is 2 minutes in the car!

Since we're onto the thrilling shipping talk already, if you're getting a delivery via DPD you can pay a bit more for it to arrive before midday, I remember doing it for the Switch launch. Think it was about a tenner? Not sure if they still offer that or not but for me it was worth it to not hang around the whole bloody day on tenterhooks.

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Can't you just change the delivery address on an Amazon order?

Possibly, but part of the point of having two is in case there’s an issue or delay with one. The spare is a ‘fall-back’. 

I can’t explain my reasoning very well but it makes sense to me. 

I booked a week off, from Wednesday to the Tuesday. It's out on Tuesday 10th, so I figure I'm working that day and considering it might arrive from Amazon at 7:45pm then it would be a waste of annual leave to take it off.

I'm not taking a whole week just to play on the console - we also have to do loads of house work to get it into a fit state to put on the market, so I can't see any problems with me negotiating my responsibility for chores around touching up the house, and wanting to play a shiny new console. 

I won't be taking a day off work, but most of what I do is on my schedule so I won't have to worry about checking in with anyone and will be able to stop to enjoy it. 

I've got mine coming via amazon Prime, I might look and see if I can upgrade delivery to before midday or something now it's been mentioned. 

To be honest though, I veer between a little bit excited and pragmatically thinking what will I do with it. A bit like getting a new laptop, the software will be the same, it'll just be a bit quicker, etc. Because of that, I'm going to stop looking at YouTube impressions, etc. It'll be nice to enjoy getting the hardware up and running without knowing everything that's going to happen before I've opened the box.

8 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Possibly, but part of the point of having two is in case there’s an issue or delay with one. The spare is a ‘fall-back’. 

I can’t explain my reasoning very well but it makes sense to me. 

I can see the reasoning, but what would that mean if I turned up to collect one and the other hadn't arrived yet - would you not let me take it?  :lol:

At what point would you cancel one - because that's the point you'd just change the address instead?

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic