Xbox Series X | S

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

Had to laugh at this, the algorithm clearly thinks it looks like a fridge so you should buy a microwave with it.

Screenshot_20201013_175821.jpg

I wonder what it'd recommend if you were buying a PS5 from them!

While the Currys system is bizarre, I do think the pre-order system does need looking at as it doesn't gel well with pay on dispatch systems, which encourage scalpers and as their is zero risk in the pre-order. It is effectively a 100% hedged investment as it becomes pretty clear close to release, what the demand will be.

1 hour ago, tnman said:

What cabinet is that? It’s really nice. 

Can't remember the make now but I got it from Argos over 13 years ago. The unit on the left is actually the same as the right one but I carefully cut the drawer section off to make it fit where I originally had it in my flat.

What does the fact that Yak LAD only hits 60 at 1440p mean for the S then. 
 I know these cross gen games aren’t ever going to show off the hardware to the beat of their ability but I’d have expected what is a Xbox one game essentially to run at 4K 60 on the X. 

Just now, Mortis said:

What does the fact that Yak LAD only hits 60 at 1440p mean for the S then. 

1080p or 960p. Remember it's only targeting 1440p and as long as you're getting a solid 60fps what's the problem?

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

1080p or 960p. Remember it's only targeting 1440p and as long as you're getting a solid 60fps what's the problem?

Yeah but on the DF bid it also says the only “solid” 60 on the X they have is the 1080p mode - it’s a bit concerning is all. I was expecting the cross gen stuff to hit the 4K 60 without a huge fuss. 

tbh, watching that , that comes across as a lack of optimisation. There is not reason for that level of frankly, poor, performance.

Guaranteed (pete brant bollock guaranteed!) the ps5 version next year will be 4k60 with the extra dev time

1 minute ago, Mortis said:

Yeah but on the DF bid it also says the only “solid” 60 on the X they have is the 1080p mode - it’s a bit concerning is all. I was expecting the cross gen stuff to hit the 4K 60 without a huge fuss. 

I think that's more a reflection of the fact that it's essentially running on a PS4 engine and the dev isn't renowned for being particularly strong from a technical perspective. It's not really reflective of the power of the machines, rather the coding talent of the devs. Something like AC Valhalla will be a better overall indication of cross-gen performance and that runs at 4k/60 on Series X, albeit we don't yet know how well.

I feel like people really struggle to understand how a device isn’t really by default capable of any specific numbers (mostly because platform holders try to talk about them in specific terms).

It should be obvious given that we see such a range of graphics quality and performance between any two releases on existing platforms. People spend years watching DF videos that show game A runs at 1440p/60 on One X and game B cannot hit a stable 1440p/30 and yet express surprise that there are poorly optimised games for new hardware that offer underwhelming performance (vs imo unrealistic overselling by MS and Sony).

The only odd thing really to me is that they’re getting shown off by the platform holders (or used to remove embargo’s on certain news).

Both the Series X and PS5 are big powerful boxes, as is the smaller Series S. But anyone expecting an Series X to consistently do 4K/60 or 1440p/120 is kidding themselves and continues to forget developers (or publishers) who will continually add eye candy to make nicer screenshots to the detriment of performance. I guess it’s easier to make it look more next gen that way.

52 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

tbh, watching that , that comes across as a lack of optimisation. There is not reason for that level of frankly, poor, performance.

Guaranteed (pete brant bollock guaranteed!) the ps5 version next year will be 4k60 with the extra dev time

Yeah, they haven't optimised it, when you consider RDR2 ran at native 4k/solid 30 on the 1X, that won't be typical as things move on. I don't think they'll do a thing for the PS5 release, either.

The devs have little familiarity with the Xbox line, the only other game using the current Yakuza engine to come out on the xbox platform is Kiwami 2, a quick gamepass port of a remake of a ps2 game. So I'd say it's just not massively well optimised. 

The dragon engine is actually quite demanding, Kiwami 2 ran at at 1080p 30fps on One X and Ps4 Pro BTW. The s is basically a one x with a much beefier cpu so I would guess at 1080p60/ 1440p30. Something like that. 

This might be one where I go for the shinies. 

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

Native 4K 60 is a huge ask of any machine in 2020-  PC, PS5 or Xbox Series X. 

To hit it you'll have to expect to sacrifice either textures, shadows, volumetric lighting, or some combination thereof - it's a huge amount of pixels.

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

Knowing the Yakuza team, that's unlikely.

24 minutes ago, deerokus said:

The devs have little familiarity with the Xbox line, the only other game using the current Yakuza engine to come out on the xbox platform is Kiwami 2, a quick gamepass port of a remake of a ps2 game. So I'd say it's just not massively well optimised.

The Xbox One and PS4 are essentially exactly the same box with slightly different components. 

Perhaps next generation we will see some platform specific optimizations. But they are still running the same AMD CPU architecture and the same AMD GPU architecture.

I’ve paid my £2.5k off at curry’s and cashed in my voucher. Then I got an email saying I can expect my Xbox on Oct 20th.  They er, sure like to do things the complicated way. As long as it turns up on release day, that’s all that matters.

Manifold Garden is excellent. I completed it earlier this year on the Switch. 

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

Never heard of it, but it looks brilliant. Don’t suppose it’s on Gamepass?

Not on Gamepass, apparently. But it's worth the money. 

Some people I know getting a Series X on launch when they very rarely complete any game beyond 15%. I'm just left thinking "WTF?", as well as being a bit jealous. Although it's not really jealousy, more hatred. I really shouldn't be feeling like this.

4 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Manifold Garden is excellent. I completed it earlier this year on the Switch. 

Not on Gamepass, apparently. But it's worth the money. 

As good as it looks, I know as soon as I buy it, it’ll turn up on Gamepass.

Yakuza only hitting 60fps if they run at 1080p on the Series X and no games with ray tracing at launch, the fact Microsoft haven't shown off any games running on XSX Hardware still makes me extremely concerned about the console and the state it's in for launch.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic