Xbox Series X | S

8 minutes ago, MrMorgasaurus said:

I did. And it has confused me also. Reads like a scam if you ask me (boost the pre-order price by £2000 and give me a voucher to that value). But they got my pre-order numbers correct..... If this is legit its really badly thought out.

Their website is down so can't go direct to check.

It seems quite well thought out. No one is going to scalp them, and they can manage the flow of preorders by when they publish the codes.

1 minute ago, footle said:

It seems quite well thought out. 

At best its a hack to get around the limitations of purchasing via their website without them having to change anything.

But it screams scam and will surely generate a lot of confusion, distrust and trigger many inquiries to their customer service. 

It's because the pre-pre-orders were done through a third party system. Their archaic architecture means the only way they have of matching those orders up is via individual codes. The 2000 markup stops orders that have to be cancelled. 

It's a messy system for sure. 

I haven't got my e-mail from Curry's yet :unsure: I'm guessing they send them out in the order that they were pre-ordered in order to verify they can fulfil the orders with what they've been allotted. Bit concerning though at this late time considering I've paid £5 and I might not get one.

1 minute ago, tronied said:

I haven't got my e-mail from Curry's yet :unsure: I'm guessing they send them out in the order that they were pre-ordered in order to verify they can fulfil the orders with what they've been allotted. Bit concerning though at this late time considering I've paid £5 and I might not get one.

They're going out in waves through the day apparently. According to their customer service guy on twitter no need to worry until 8pm.

I wonder whether they'll report these in their sales figures as such.  Obviously no profit in it as they're giving the £2k back as vouchers, but that might be coming out of another pot, and in these troubled times for retail i can imagine showing turnover of £2,499 for each instead of £499 could be popular with their accountants...

5 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Does not really matter.

I think people don't understand what is "instant" . I don't think either manufacturer said games will load tens of gigs instantly, they talked to load times during gameplay. 

I got the Curry’s email as well. Had to re-read it a few times. :lol:

I’m glad I’ve got to Sunday to have a think about it. I’m not sure what benefit I’d get picking up the Series X in November 2020. There’s nothing launching with it I’m desperate to play and nothing really on GamePass or in their back catalogue I’ve yet to catch up on. New tech lust is the only thing that captivates me. 

1 hour ago, MrMorgasaurus said:

At best its a hack to get around the limitations of purchasing via their website without them having to change anything.

But it screams scam and will surely generate a lot of confusion, distrust and trigger many inquiries to their customer service. 

You clearly haven't been burnt enough by all the other tech sales disasters of the last month.

They'll also be able to search for "Xbox Series X orders at £2500" and contact the relevant customers directly, or just cancel the orders.

Compare and contrast to ShopTo's Xbox and PS5 preordering approach: which one generates the most stress?

11 minutes ago, vezna said:

I got the Curry’s email as well. Had to re-read it a few times. :lol:

I’m glad I’ve got to Sunday to have a think about it. I’m not sure what benefit I’d get picking up the Series X in November 2020. There’s nothing launching with it I’m desperate to play and nothing really on GamePass or in their back catalogue I’ve yet to catch up on. New tech lust is the only thing that captivates me. 

There were no checks that the codes I used corresponded to the email addresses used when pre-ordering. So they appear to be easily transferable if you’re not feeling it. 

:lol: That Curry's system is clearly someone flapping and coming up with a janky work around within the boundaries of what their system can/can't do rather than anything by design. I sympathise (as by coincidence I'm literally working today on developing an e-commerce plugin for a client using some coupons in weird ways to create the end result they need) but from a consumer point of view it does look ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Sounds like an absolute shitshow to me. Glad I bought from MS direct as that was a completely painless process (assuming they deliver on time).

This is a very good point. *gives Bill Gates a Paddington stare*

5 hours ago, Hitcher said:

You should have got it yesterday as they've gone up now to £71.99 today. Luckily I grabbed the 2TB yesterday for £128.34 because that's gone today as well to £135.89.

I’ve nearly bought about 300 drives over the past couple of days... 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/13/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-backward-compatibility-update/?ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_10.13.1

New technology to double framerates 

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game’s original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware.  Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.   

Enhanced visuals you have to see to believe 

On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles that were enhanced for the Xbox One X via the Heutchy method. This allowed titles from Xbox 360 that rendered at 720p and original Xbox games that ran at 360p to play at 4K on Xbox One X, well beyond the capabilities of their original platform. The Heutchy method continues to be used to bring a variety of titles to 1440p on Xbox Series S and 4K on Xbox Series X.   

Improved texture filtering is also coming to backward compatible titles on both Xbox Series X and Series S. On Xbox One X, a portion of the catalog benefited from increased anisotropic filtering, improving image quality of games. On Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, 16x anisotropic filtering has been enabled for nearly all backward compatible titles so you can experience the very best visuals the games have to offer.  

23 minutes ago, rgraves said:

That's really interesting, the info before that series s just runs one s versions of current games isn't quite accurate then. They do get enhanced, it's just that I assume the base it's being enhanced from is lower than one x enhanced games running on series x. 

Still not got my currys email, apparently to message them if it hasn't arrived by 8. I've got a backup s preorder with ms but I've talked myself into the x over the last few weeks. 

@JPL Just to let you know, I've had a new Elite Series 2 joypad back from MS. Everything (including all the front buttons!) seem to be working fine. I'm surprised I got a boxed new one, because they told me to send back nothing but the stripped down controller, so now I've got loads of sticks for it, and can have the longer-but-not-massively-longer ones on both sides.

Score.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn to dust between now and when I next use it.

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

That's really interesting, the info before that series s just runs one s versions of current games isn't quite accurate then. They do get enhanced, it's just that I assume the base it's being enhanced from is lower than one x enhanced games running on series x. 

Not quite correct - we knew they got enhanced but wouldn't get the specific One X enhancements.

26 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

@JPL Just to let you know, I've had a new Elite Series 2 joypad back from MS. Everything (including all the front buttons!) seem to be working fine. I'm surprised I got a boxed new one, because they told me to send back nothing but the stripped down controller, so now I've got loads of sticks for it, and can have the longer-but-not-massively-longer ones on both sides.

Score.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn to dust between now and when I next use it.

Result, at last!

5 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Spent most of yesterday rearranging the items in my media cabinets to get ready for the Series X.

image2.jpg

It will go where the One X is now and there should be room next to it for the PS5 whenever there's something worth me playing.

What cabinet is that? It’s really nice. 

2 hours ago, Darren said:

This is a very good point. *gives Bill Gates a Paddington stare*

I pre-ordered the XB1 forza edition in July 2015. It was released on September 15, and according to my emails shipped on September 12. Obviously, I can't recall if it actually arrived on the day of release and the UPS tracking number doesn't work now. 

So, here's hoping they ship these ahead of time, too. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic