Xbox Series X | S

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

But you wouldn't say Ground Zeroes was a significant step up from the previous gen visually or anything? By their very nature cross gen games (I guess we need the caveat that they're released at the same time) are only going to have the most cursory of paint jobs.

Titanfall on Xbox One has better lighting and resolution than the Xbox 360 one but it doesn't blow my bollocks off. 'course, hindsight is 20/20.

I think the problem is people should know by now (especially people who've been present for many new generations) that all the promises count for shit until the developers figure out how to utilise that power. Personally I don't see the 120fps thing being viable unless the game is indie and relatively simple compared to monsters  like Assassin's Creed (fuck Ubisoft) or has had a budget comparable to the GDP of Luxembourg or some shit.

Has there been anything said about how easy the architecture of each console is to implement high frame rates or is it still down to talent, time and money?

Ground Zeroes and the few games that were using physically based and deferred rendering at the tail end of that generation really were a leap forward technologically.

Titanfall was developed from day one as Xbox One-generation game. The 360 version was a demake farmed out to Bluepoint software, and although it’s generally considered a fantastic technical achievement it is by no means the same game.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Ground Zeroes and the few games that were using physically based and deferred rendering at the tail end of that generation really were a leap forward technologically.

Titanfall was developed from day one as Xbox One-generation game. The 360 version was a demake farmed out to Bluepoint software, and although it’s generally considered a fantastic technical achievement it is by no means the same game.

What did they change? I just assumed it was the MP like the Xbox One version?

EDIT: Fuck it I'll google it, brb.

This is interesting: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/176761-metal-gear-solid-v-runs-at-1080p-on-ps4-limited-to-720p-on-xbox-one

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/180089-xbox-one-and-xbox-360-versions-of-titanfall-look-shockingly-similar

So Titanfall had twice the framerate, as did Ground Zeroes but the resolution is more complicated.

Maybe my argument is wrong, then. The technological jumps are there but they don't seem to be that apparent. Definitely not enough that if the noise made around them last time isn't memorable enough for us to reference. Were people as bothered about all this shit last time? The jump from 30 to 60?

IIRC they were built alongside each other. But there was speculation that the 360 version was held back because the XB1 was being launched as a system seller, and there were concerns people would laugh at how similar the two were.

So my upgrade to this coming Gen is going to be fairly significant, I had an Xbox One but I’m not even sure I was playing it on a 1080p TV, I’ve Pre Ordered the XBSX and bought an LG OLED with HDMI 2.1 ports which I’m told is perfect for next Gen, can anybody recommend a game I could get at the same time as the console launches that will really blow my socks off? 

I agree the DF Dirt 5 video is underwhelming but I also agree that cross-gen launch games are usually underwhelming. The Dirt series has also been underwhelming of late.

I'm still on the fence about S or X but I'm leaning toward the X.

23 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Cheers, £67.99 for 1tb - will wait for prime day but that looks a decent buy! Do you use it in a pc or console with an adapter?

You should have got it yesterday as they've gone up now to £71.99 today. Luckily I grabbed the 2TB yesterday for £128.34 because that's gone today as well to £135.89.

11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

That only came out on GameCube though, didn't it?

Sorry, I only half read that. Looking back, there aren't that many cross gen launch titles, that aren't just going to be fairly cheap licence jobs to begin with. This one is fairly unique with having a new AssCreed.

(I got excited when I remembered Call of Duty 2, but that was actually just 360 and still looked bloody awful)

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I was going to suggest Forza Horizon 2 as the differences between 360 and XB1 versions are pretty big but they are completely different games as well aren't they.

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

So my upgrade to this coming Gen is going to be fairly significant, I had an Xbox One but I’m not even sure I was playing it on a 1080p TV, I’ve Pre Ordered the XBSX and bought an LG OLED with HDMI 2.1 ports which I’m told is perfect for next Gen, can anybody recommend a game I could get at the same time as the console launches that will really blow my socks off? 

There isn't really a showcase next-gen game coming for launch that we know of. This new gen seems very different from previous leaps as its more like an incremental power boost to your existing library, albeit quite a significant one. The specific XSX enhancements to existing games is still mostly under wraps.

Games like Gears 5, Ass Creed Valhalla, Forza, Destiny 2 and Cyberpunk are all getting whizzy SX enhancements but to what extent it's all a but hazy. Cyberpunk will be getting an 'improved' version for launch but there is an 'SX enhanced' version coming later, the difference between the two? Who knows. Ori and Will of the Wisps is getting a 120fps upgrade so that would be a good candidate. It's a gorgeous game anyway. I suspect we will see some embargoed stuff coming in the run up to launch, particularly for first party stuff, that will get people all hot and bothered (me included).

If you're used to blur-o-vision Xbox One at 1080, your TV upgrade with a 4K source alone will blow you away. Something like Gears 5 at a full 4K/60 is already rather sumptuous on 1X, on a SX it will likely be THE showcase title.

Spent most of yesterday rearranging the items in my media cabinets to get ready for the Series X.

image2.jpg

It will go where the One X is now and there should be room next to it for the PS5 whenever there's something worth me playing.

27 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Cyberpunk will be getting an 'improved' version for launch but there is an 'SX enhanced' version coming later, the difference between the two? Who knows. 

Just look at the PC version on release, surely? 

The SX enhanced version will be like the PC version with all the sliders up.

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Just look at the PC version on release, surely? 

The SX enhanced version will be like the PC version with some of the sliders up.

3 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Anyone else preorder the X from Curry's and get an email from them a few minutes ago?

I don't understand what they are on about, hoping someone else understood it better than I did!

I did. And it has confused me also. Reads like a scam if you ask me (boost the pre-order price by £2000 and give me a voucher to that value). But they got my pre-order numbers correct..... If this is legit its really badly thought out.

Their website is down so can't go direct to check.

34 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I'd guess the improved S|X launch version is a simple framerate increase.

I’m presuming it’ll be a standard framerate/resolution boost at launch, with things like ray tracing and crowd density added and fiddled with in the proper update later.

Just spoke to one of their live help people (really smart system with video and sound).

They have bumped up the price of the Series X to £2449, you have to add it to yout basket and go through the checkout process as normal. There will be a box saying enter discount/promo code or something along those lines and you then enter the code in the email they sent. Once verified the price drops back to £449.

The only downer is that in order to secure your Series X is that you'll need to pay the full balance when you do this and you have to go it before 11:59 on Sunday 18th October.

So long and short of it is that the massive price drop gets cancelled out by the promo code in the email AND you have to pay for it before midnight Sunday.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic