Xbox Series X | S

The Jeff Grubb video on Dirt 5 raised an interesting point where he spoke how what separated titles like the Last of Us graphically from most games was the sheer amount of time and money Naughty Dog were able to spend on every area of the game. I wonder if a 120fps mode is a more achievable next-gen upgrade for games outside of the AAA/AAAA/however many As we're using to describe blockbusters now space. 120fps is also something streaming services aren't likely to offer anytime soon so its a selling point for dedicated hardware. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

It's  got to be far too early to decide what the new systems are capable of, if you were only able to look at Dead Rising 3 or Battlefield 4 and draw conclusions

about the fidelity of current gen you'd get it wrong, right?

Having said that, as noted above I'll be happy to see the end of 30fps.

I wonder what Halo Infinite will end up at, it was apparently 120hz, before it got delayed. I wonder if they'll up the shinies and reduce the framerate. 

Only the Halo infinite multiplayer is due to be 120hz - that will stay I imagine! Halo 5 mp was frame rate over gfx so they have form!

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Not impressed by that Digital Foundry video at all. I know it isn't the final build, but dynamic resolution and obvious screen tearing? I hope at least screen tearing is gone in the final game. 

he said he was running on an B8 I think, which is a 2018 LG OLED I think, doesn’t do HDMI 2.1 so no variable refresh rate, I presume this would potentially remove the tear, if of course is within the limited range the TV does it...

49 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

120fps at 1440p seems a good compromise to me.   Everybody was saying it's the perfect resolution and here we are being shown 120fps on it.   Bring it on.  Hopefully more games give us the options to prioritise fps, res or shinies.  

If Dirt is aiming for 1440p to get steady 120hz, and is turning off crowds, and worse shadows etc, I do wonder what the Series S has to target to do the same, though I appreciate it’s going to be an exponential thing regarding reducing from 1440p and 4K

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

4K TV ownership is a lot higher than most people estimate. 

It went from 17% of households in 2017 to 35% in 2019. That will be even higher now. It's still a minority, sure, but it's a pretty significant one. 

However I imagine the number of people who own 4K 120hz TVs is minuscule - basically if you bought an OLED in the past 18 months you might  have one.

Sure, but that's households with a 4K TV, but not necessarily the TV most gaming will be done on. 

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

Anyone else with a Series S pre-order starting to get concern about the lack of info on the little brother of the Series X?  

I’m anxious for information but that’s more because I want to get hyped about my new box and I’m jealous of those with Series X or PS5 pre-orders who are now getting some of that information!

I’m not too concerned about its performance. The specs, on paper, are astonishing for something that costs £250 and it will be really, really interesting to see how it compares to the X and the PS5 when running games at HD resolutions and whether the more powerful consoles provide any really material advantage at those resolutions.

I expect I’ll end up using it mainly to play indies / Xbox One games on GamePass though so performance isn’t as important to me...

I would like to know how quiet it is though. That was obviously a priority in the design for both PS5 and Series X and it sounds like Sony and MS have both nailed it. Is this also going to be the case for the Series S or will this be one of the compromises in going for the smaller, cheaper box?

Hoping we get some info on this in the next couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

Anyone else with a Series S pre-order starting to get concern about the lack of info on the little brother of the Series X?  Obviously the power of the X is going to make for much more interesting reading, but given the fact the price of the S makes it a much easier entry point, i would've thought they'd want to be getting word out there about just how good it is.  It features prominently in the recent advert, but hasn't had any 'hands on' type publicity like the X has.  I would've thought they'd want to be wow-ing people with the next-gen performance on 1080p TV's by now.

Series X has clearly had the most exposure, but it now feels like the PS5 is more advanced in its push than the series S, and that's saying something.  When do we think we'll get more on it?  The more they hold it back, the more I'm concerned my pre-order is for a dud...

There was some stuff on this on ERA recently - not sure if it got posted so here you go:

Ej5DDRUXYAYjGPx?format=jpg&name=large

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/10/08/how-new-xbox-devices-unity-and-one-mans-vision-combined-to-create-the-visually-stunning-the-falconeer/

How has coding on Series S and X gone with Unity? Any particularly cool things that have stood out as you’ve been working on the new hardware?

One of the big surprises for me is just how powerful the Series S is, it’s such a significant piece of hardware in a small form factor. This is a powerful piece of next gen hardware. With the Falconeer, on Xbox Series X we’re running at 1800p 120fps or 4K 60fps, so we’ve got the option of the super smooth frame rate or the full 4K output with the full 60fps. So there’s really no tradeoff between graphics and performance with this generation; we get both! Series X is running on that full PC spec, all the anti-aliasing, all those fancy effects are there on Series X with no compromise. That wasn’t possible on the previous generation of consoles. You’ll have a very similar experience between the Series S and the Series X.

New Xbox physical releases are now getting a black "Series X" sticker included in the top right hand corner (probably in place of the ugly Series X enhanced badge they were showing off a few months back). Example below from FIFA 21

20201008_225131_compress4.thumb.jpg.94c7fa9ee182e3bfcefba020caa228fc.jpg

They have also dropped "Xbox One" from the top of the case and just have Xbox now, I suppose to go with the no generations thing.

18 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Someone broke their NDA. Or is this a console that fell off a truck?

I suspect the latter. He handled it like he'd never opened a box before, never mind seen or used a console. Up until the box was actually open I thought it was going to be a spoof with him taking out a house brick or something.

1 minute ago, Bangaio said:

Am I the only who thinks that looks a bit just same old and not as nice as Forza Horizon 4? 

There's something....missing....from this. I can't put my finger on what.

That video basically told me to look at the ground and I did then think "oh, I guess it is pretty impressive". Until that point I was looking at the sides of the road feeling like I was missing something. The dirt does look rather textured and detailed but it's in the uncanny valley perhaps.

I can't tell if maybe it's just youtube compression isn't very kind to very very detailed gravel and mud, maybe it feels very vivid at a much crisper rendering. No doubt the potential is there, raw power is only a tool for designers to leverage after all.

12 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

Am I the only who thinks that looks a bit just same old and not as nice as Forza Horizon 4? 

Yeah its not for me either. Never been a fan of the DIRT franchise. Was a big fan of the old Colin McRae rally games back in the day mind you (PS1, PS2).

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Has there ever been an impressive cross gen launch game? Like actually "Phwoar! Look at the frame rate on that!" Or whatever?

For me last gen it was Battlefield 4 having 64 players in a match (BF3 already had this on PC), I think that was 900p on PS4 at like 40fps.

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

he said he was running on an B8 I think, which is a 2018 LG OLED I think, doesn’t do HDMI 2.1 so no variable refresh rate, I presume this would potentially remove the tear, if of course is within the limited range the TV does it...

If Dirt is aiming for 1440p to get steady 120hz, and is turning off crowds, and worse shadows etc, I do wonder what the Series S has to target to do the same, though I appreciate it’s going to be an exponential thing regarding reducing from 1440p and 4K

You might have to slum it at 1440p at 60fps.   

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Has there ever been an impressive cross gen launch game? Like actually "Phwoar! Look at the frame rate on that!" Or whatever?

Rogue Squadron II on GC? A massive step up from the last gen, looked like the movie, looked better than Jedi Starfighter on PS2, and really got it's polygons out for the lads. 

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

What’s this 13 second loading bullshit? I thought it was supposed to be instant. 

Cross gen.

Games natively created for X/S actually load before you've subconsciously decided you even want to play them. 

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Heard the fat marketing guy on a podcast last week say there is a planned release of game footage leading up to launch. 

1st week is enhanced last gen games.

2nd week is Series S gameplay footage.

3rd week is Series X gameplay.

Yeah, they need to get this out there. Saw some commentary earlier that the S will hobble the X, they need to nip that in the bud with solid examples. Evidently, literally stating it's the same hardware just targeting different resolutions wasn't sufficient. 

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Metal Gear Solid V

Still looks stunning today.

It was one of the first games with physically based textures.  They're one of the main things that's defined the look of this gen, but last gen could do them just fine.

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Metal Gear Solid V

Still looks stunning today.

Are you talking about Phantom Pain? While cross gen it came out 2 years after launch, so not really a launch game.

Fair enough if ground zero as that was only 4 months later than launch, so could be considered launch window.

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

Cross gen.

Games natively created for X/S actually load before you've subconsciously decided you even want to play them. 

Does not really matter.

If a game is Series S/X optimized, it uses the Velocity Architecture. ± 10 seconds is what you can expect on Xbox Series S/X, ± 5 seconds on PlayStation 5.

I am slightly puzzled why Microsoft uses Yakuza and Dirt 5 to show their first next-gen gameplay while they probably should have used Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 which are done by their own people and I bet will run much smoother and better in their designated modes. I guess they wanted to show new games and not once that were already released but it doesn't help. Yakuza has never known to be the best for graphics.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Are you talking about Phantom Pain? While cross gen it came out 2 years after launch, so not really a launch game.

Fair enough if ground zero as that was only 4 months later than launch, so could be considered launch window.

But you wouldn't say Ground Zeroes was a significant step up from the previous gen visually or anything? By their very nature cross gen games (I guess we need the caveat that they're released at the same time) are only going to have the most cursory of paint jobs.

Titanfall on Xbox One has better lighting and resolution than the Xbox 360 one but it doesn't blow my bollocks off. 'course, hindsight is 20/20.

I think the problem is people should know by now (especially people who've been present for many new generations) that all the promises count for shit until the developers figure out how to utilise that power. Personally I don't see the 120fps thing being viable unless the game is indie and relatively simple compared to monsters  like Assassin's Creed (fuck Ubisoft) or has had a budget comparable to the GDP of Luxembourg or some shit.

Has there been anything said about how easy the architecture of each console is to implement high frame rates or is it still down to talent, time and money?

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S