Xbox Series X | S

9 hours ago, Majora said:

Basically as soon we leave the cross-gen phase and get games released solely for Series

And even then things like Assassin’s Creed which is cross gen will not run from external IF it's the series version,  the one version will, however. Is my understanding.

10 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Because it's one factor of many. Long story short was going for an S, 500gb SSD won't be enough, current external storage limited by speed, don't want to by an external SSD or an official expansion. Don't want to spend extra 200 quid on an X for the HDD space and 4k I'm not going to use. Basically buying an S to have the same load times as I have on a One X but with shinier graphics.

There's flaws in my logic, because I'm probably overstating the limited space on the 500gb SSD but you put destiny 2 and Modern Warfare on there and that's literally 200gb gone. Shiny Forza Horizon 4 will prolly be another 80gb. It all adds to having to move shit about and I can't be arsed.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to tell those bloody kids to get off my lawn and shout at some clouds.

On the bright side Destiny 2 will allegedly be down to 50gb when the vaulting occurs with Beyond Light.

Unfortunately apparently we will also need to download the entire thing again.

Actually speaking of that, any word on whether plugging in an external currently being used on Xbox One will need reformatting? Or can I bring all my current games with me to my new Series S on the external?

1 minute ago, dreamylittledream said:

On the bright side Destiny 2 will allegedly be down to 50gb when the vaulting occurs with Beyond Light.

Unfortunately apparently we will also need to download the entire thing again.

Actually speaking of that, any word on whether plugging in an external currently being used on Xbox One will need reformatting? Or can I bring all my current games with me to my new Series S on the external?

If redownloading it means I can open the menu in less than ten seconds I'm all for it.

You can just plug your Xbox One external into the Series S.

7 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Did I read that you can also transfer games over WiFi network from an Xbox One to the Series X? If so I’ll be doing that on day one to get them on the X quicker.

I think WiFi will probably be quite slow. I think you can also link the two directly using an ethernet cable and do it that way.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

If redownloading it means I can open the menu in less than ten seconds I'm all for it.

You can just plug your Xbox One external into the Series S.

Me too.

I’m know I can just plug it in but will all the stuff I’ve already downloaded to it work on the Series S is what I was wondering (not the end of the world if it doesn’t but works be nice).

40 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Me too.

I’m know I can just plug it in but will all the stuff I’ve already downloaded to it work on the Series S is what I was wondering (not the end of the world if it doesn’t but works be nice).

That's what I mean, you should be able to plug in and BOOM everything's there ready to go.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams
15 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

How do you play video games if you are blind? Genuine question/fear..

Quite apart from the fact blind is a spectrum, they do actually allow blind people to breed so it's entirely possible they would be setting up a system for a sighted child.

So that’s me done for this generation! :hat: Took my Xbox One X to GAME for store credit today (seeing as my Series X is an instore pre-order with them) and received £145.  I always hoped for about £150 at the point I was ready to trade in (month or so before Series X) so happy with that. No surprise that trade in prices are plummeting as we get closer to launch. It was about £196 just over a month ago to give an indication. CEX were offering £150 cash yesterday for Xbox One X trade in (and that’s boxed) but noticed today they have now dropped their cash trade in price to £122. 

So I’m all set for Nov 10 and the barron spell I will now endure will only go to heighten the hype and excitement for me as launch day approaches.  Bring it on! :omg:

Anyone know when the new iOS app is coming out? It’s supposed to be their new solution for video editing/sharing. 

I tried upload studio on my vanilla Xbox one and it’s dogshit. Most things I’ve seen on the app are ‘soon’. 

On 09/10/2020 at 16:53, Ferine said:

I picked up this no-name TCSUNBOW 2TB SSD, which routinely drops below £130, and have no complaints after putting it in a USB 3.1 enclosure.

Granted I'd be more hesitant about going with a less established brand if I was installing the drive in a server or storing important data, but the worst case scenario when using it with a console is that the drive fails and I have a bunch of downloading to do.

I picked up one of these unknown brand SSDs a few months back. Not a valid amount of time really but it's running fine and super cheap. The reviews on Amazon seemed more detailed and useful than most, I think they use Samsung chips so should be a good alternative given the price. 

6 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is that the old Xbox? Seems odd that a game advertised as 120 couldn't hit 60.

It’s in one of three modes. Now it may be patched (the build will no doubt be further tweaked between now and November) and the VRR support is currently broken, but still.

In reality you are going to see very few games (bar indie titles) hit 120 on either console - it's a marketing gimmick. Neither has the power for it.

If you want to game at 120 in the newest titles you're realistically going to need to spend upwards of £1400 on a gaming PC.

Although loads of BC stuff will (hopefully) get patched for 120. Even then I think realistically only 360 and below games will be running at that frame rate.

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

In reality you are going to see very few games (bar indie titles) hit 120 on either console - it's a marketing gimmick. Neither has the power for it.

If you want to game at 120 in the newest titles you're realistically going to need to spend upwards of £1400 on a gaming PC.

Although loads of BC stuff will (hopefully) get patched for 120.

This is 100% false i'm afraid. The CPU/GPU in both next gen consoles are MORE than capable of 120fps. It's about how the developers set up performance mode in games.

Anything the XSX or S plays at 1080p and some 1440p should be hitting 120fps all day long.

4k is where there is a problem, 60 can be a tough ask depending on fidelity, this leans in to the GPU side and with 12tflops the XSX should manage it on most occasions.

For reference I have a gaming PC, i5 9400f (6 core processor) and an RTX 2070 super. Technically the XSX is more powerful in both CPU and GPU departments and my PC can reach above 144fps on almost every current game at 1080p. 1440p its in the 80-120 range and some games can hit 60fps at 4k, most are 30-60. Forza Horizon 4 however hits 80 fps with ultra settings at 4k.

11 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Although loads of BC stuff will (hopefully) get patched for 120. Even then I think realistically only 360 and below games will be running at that frame rate

I broadly agree with you in that I'm skeptical that many AAA games will hit 120hz but one of the things that Microsoft have said is that Gears 5, which is incredible looking in places, is running at 4k120hz on Series X.  So,  there's that.  

https://gamingbolt.com/gears-5-clip-shows-120-fps-multiplayer-gameplay-on-xbox-series-s

Quick question on BC, if I bought a One or One X fed it all my old Xbox (OG) and 360 games, copied them over to an external HDD could I play them on the Series S via the HDD or do I need the disc to validate it?

4 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Quick question on BC, if I bought a One or One X fed it all my old Xbox (OG) and 360 games, copied them over to an external HDD could I play them on the Series S via the HDD or do I need the disc to validate it?

The disc is the license, so yes, you need it every time you play. Also, the game doesn't get installed from the disc. You insert the disc, the console downloads the patched/ emulator version game. The original game doesn't run. 

I don't 100% know but I would think that you would need the disc to play them, so that would be a no go on the S.

My understanding is that while they would play the same binary file as they are playing from the HDD some kind of validation key would be missing.

2 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

The disc is the license, so yes, you need it every time you play. Also, the game doesn't get installed from the disc. You insert the disc, the console downloads the game. The original game doesn't run. 

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

I don't 100% know but I would think that you would need the disc to play them, so that would be a no go on the S.

My understanding is that while they would play the same binary file as they are playing from the HDD some kind of validation key would be missing.

I expected as much but worth checking, guess I'll have to get a Series X then. Once they deliver Halo ;)

11 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

This is 100% false i'm afraid. The CPU/GPU in both mext gen consoles are MORE than capable of 120fps. It's about how the developers set up performance mode in games.

Anything the XSX or S plays at 1080p and some 1440p should be hitting 120fps all day long.

4k is where there is a problem, 60 can be a tough ask depending on fidelity, this leans in to the GPU side and with 12tflops the XSX should manage it on most occasions.

For reference I have a gaming PC, i5 9400f (6 core processor) and an RTX 2070 super. Technically the XSX is more powerful in both CPU and GPU departments and my PC can reach above 144fps on almost every current game at 1080p. 1440p its in the 80-120 range and some games can hit 60fps at 4k, most are 30-60. Forza Horizon 4 however hits 80 fps with ultra settings at 4k.

Nope, they aren't going to hit it without making huge sacrifices in their performance modes. Look at Dirt 5, for example. 

Normal visuals:

JpsOHCm.png

Performance mode:

image.thumb.png.ad10a78aaba70244f8d6aebcffb75784.png

They have to massively lower resolution, textures, and remove the crowds, and even then it's not 120.

I have a 3080, which is more than twice as powerful as a Series X (29.7 TFLOPS vs 12 TFLOPS) and in modern, demanding games, I get:

67fps in RDR2 in 4k

82fps in Tomb Raider 4k

62fps in Horizon 4k (98 at 1440p)

70fps in GTA5.

The idea that the Series X will be capable of anything near 120 in modern titles without serious concessions (like 1080p outputs and removing shadows and crowds in a racing game, for example) is pure fantasy.

It's a marketing gimmick.

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Nope, they aren't going to hit it without making huge sacrifices in their performance modes. Look at Dirt 5, for example. 

Normal visuals:

JpsOHCm.png

Performance mode:

image.thumb.png.ad10a78aaba70244f8d6aebcffb75784.png

They have to massively lower resolution, textures, and remove the crowds, and even then it's not 120.

I have a 3080, which is more than twice as powerful as a Series X (29.7 TFLOPS vs 12 TFLOPS) and in modern, demanding games, I get:

67fps in RDR2 in 4k

82fps in Tomb Raider 4k

62fps in Horizon 4k (98 at 1440p)

70fps in GTA5.

The idea that the Series X will be capable of anything near 120fps in modern titles without serious concessions (like 1080p outputs and removing shadows and crowds in a racing game, for example) is pure fantasy.

I strongly disagree, at 1080p these consoles should be hitting 120fps with the CPU that they have. It is down to how they develop (optimise) their game for performance.

On the preview video I watched Dirt 5 performance mode is achieving 120fps.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic