Xbox Series X | S

Anything optimised for Series S/X the will only be playable from internal, even if it’s a cross gen game. 

But I think what we’re saying is that other than transfer times, the only advantage of an SSD is that back compat games will load faster if played from an external SSD than they would from an external HDD. Personally I don’t think it’s worth spending the extra on an external SSD.

7 minutes ago, Majora said:

I might be misinterpreting what you're suggesting but there will be games in the future where it will be mandated you run them from an SSD. Basically as soon we leave the cross-gen phase and get games released solely for Series S/X (first one in December with The Medium - you won't be able to run that from an external HD). 

You can still use a HD to back Series S/X games up but you won't be able to give them a quick blast from the HD and only transfer them to the SSD if you want them to load quicker. That will only work for back-compat games.

Yes, I meant to say that but I forgot part way through my over-complicated explanation! So yes, there are three reasons to put a game on your internal SSD: if you’re playing it a lot, if you find the load times a PITA, or if it's a Series-specific game that won’t play from the HD.

Spoiler

5ED4BEC9-CB61-4C12-926A-3B659B82C2CA.gif.0e851def3061454e86c0437e88111531.gif

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Because it's one factor of many. Long story short was going for an S, 500gb SSD won't be enough, current external storage limited by speed, don't want to by an external SSD or an official expansion. Don't want to spend extra 200 quid on an X for the HDD space and 4k I'm not going to use. Basically buying an S to have the same load times as I have on a One X but with shinier graphics.

There's flaws in my logic, because I'm probably overstating the limited space on the 500gb SSD but you put destiny 2 and Modern Warfare on there and that's literally 200gb gone. Shiny Forza Horizon 4 will prolly be another 80gb. It all adds to having to move shit about and I can't be arsed.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to tell those bloody kids to get off my lawn and shout at some clouds.

I think you’re worrying too much. Don’t forget none of the games on the S will need 4K assets. Plus, how many games do you realistically play at once?

I’ve got a 4tb connected to my One X with loads of games on, that I don’t ever touch. It’s just through laziness really.

Up to you like, but I think you’ll be ok.

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think you’re worrying too much. Don’t forget none of the games on the S will need 4K assets. Plus, how many games do you realistically play at once?

I’ve got a 4tb connected to my One X with loads of games on, that I don’t ever touch. It’s just through laziness really.

Up to you like, but I think you’ll be ok.

Yeah you're probably right. It'll be worth going through my external and One X drive to see what I actually play.

Series S will probably have ~350GB of useable storage. I suspect that'll cover around seven or eight full 'AAA' games, factoring in S versions not downloading 4K assets.

Obviously there will continue to be a lot of variance in game sizes, though. Numerous titles on Game Pass fall in the 1-10GB range, for example, so the amount of games you'll have instant access to rather comes down to your production value diet.

12 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Series S will probably have ~350GB of useable storage. I suspect that'll cover around seven or eight full 'AAA' games, factoring in S versions not downloading 4K assets.

Obviously there will continue to be a lot of variance in game sizes, though. Numerous titles on Game Pass fall in the 1-10GB range, for example, so the amount of games you'll have instant access to rather comes down to your production value diet.

The problem will be a COD game consuming 150GB+, for those that like that sort of thing.

So I have a spare 1TB external SSD. Sounds like I could use that to store games I enjoy but don't currently play, and then it would presumably only take minutes to shuffle games back and forth between the Series X and external SSDs.

Is that right?

Until digital became a thing for me with live arcade and, later, Steam, I don’t think I ever owned more than 10 console games at a time. I’d always be swapping or selling them through a generation, usually owning 5-7 at a time. 

I realise times have changed and I own 200+ games on PC but, while it’s nice to have them all a click away, I don’t really need more than that same 5-7 at any one time. 

It’s annoying to have to re-download stuff but, for me at least, once I’m done it’s unlikely I’ll be going back. Psychologically I’ve swapped or sold that game. It’s nice to see it there a couple of years later and maybe consider having a go for old time’s sake. But I don’t. It’ll be nice to see my old 360 live arcade games on XSX, I might download a couple and even load them

up. Will I play them properly though? Will I fuck. 

24 minutes ago, NickC said:

So I have a spare 1TB external SSD. Sounds like I could use that to store games I enjoy but don't currently play, and then it would presumably only take minutes to shuffle games back and forth between the Series X and external SSDs.

Is that right?

Yes. Someone posted something about how long transfer times are taking on the units that have been sent out so far. If you look back you'll find it, or it's bound to be google-able. 

EDIT: here's a video with various different types of drive copying to and from the internal storage.

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Honestly I'll probably buy it at some point then, it's one of the few in the series I haven't played. It looks really amazing still. 

You need the original disk. Don’t buy the digital version!

3 hours ago, NickC said:

Is that right?

To add to what wahwah said, it sounds like you also probably want to put any non series x games on the USB SSD, even if you're actively playing them.

This is because only XSX games can take advantage of the velocity thingy on their internal storage (or expansion), it has to be programmed for. The USB ssd should be fast enough then that you won't really notice. 

That way you're saving internal storage for the XSX games. I guess it gets confusing if an Xbox one game receives a patch to take advantage of XSX but it might be tough to say if that patch would do anything for load times, I feel like developers are going to just patch for graphics. But that's a wild guess. 

Something worth noting is that quick resume will load state from internal storage, even if the game was loaded from USB. So I think for most indie games, Old games and the like, as I say the USB ssd is the natural place to install it.

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why? As soon as you put the disc in it will download the digital version anyway!

You install from disk and frantically pull out all the network cables, any cables anywhere, to prevent patching.

5 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Did I read that you can also transfer games over WiFi network from an Xbox One to the Series X? If so I’ll be doing that on day one to get them on the X quicker.

There was certainly an app / step in setting my one X up where you could hook one S up via Ethernet and copy games across. 

ive just copied all I need to a regular external Usb drive so will just swop over.

42 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

You install from disk and frantically pull out all the network cables, any cables anywhere, to prevent patching.

Just watched the video and realised it was an Xbox One game not 360.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But why

Because it's the only version of the game that runs unlocked, they patched it out with an update to make it run more stable, but BC loves unlocked games.

20 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Because it's the only version of the game that runs unlocked, they patched it out with an update to make it run more stable, but BC loves unlocked games.

Hopefully they'll patch it to take advantage of the Series consoles now.

45 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Oh I thought you meant because then you get to see those amazing unpatched Unity faces:

Spoiler

assassins-creed-floating-eyeball-teeth-man.thumb.jpg.0af49d46bb9a637a84fffc77bcd86df4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

How do you play video games if you are blind? Genuine question/fear..

I think there are a lot of visually impaired gamers out there who would be considered legally blind, so they can only make out general shapes and colours, etc.

This is really interesting, as he's totally blind:

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic