Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question, but a lot of people here have their games backed up to external hard drives. Why is that?

 

With backwards compatibility and cloud saves, I've not thought to do it myself, I'd just redownload something or slap in the disc.  Of course, it takes a few hours to download or install something (less time now we will be using a SSD), but since I tend to play a handful of games at a time it's never been something I've felt the need to do.

 

Is it because if a game leaves Game Pass but you downloaded it you can still play it, or something like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NickC said:

a lot of people here have their games backed up to external hard drives. Why is that?...

 

...Of course, it takes a few hours to download or install something

You answered your own question!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NickC said:

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question, but a lot of people here have their games backed up to external hard drives. Why is that?

 

With backwards compatibility and cloud saves, I've not thought to do it myself, I'd just redownload something or slap in the disc.  Of course, it takes a few hours to download or install something (less time now we will be using a SSD), but since I tend to play a handful of games at a time it's never been something I've felt the need to do.


Because a few hours to download something, or install from disk then wait a few more hours for the patches to download, is dead time. Whereas a £50-70 HDD will let you store all this stuff and you can play instead. Disk drive Tetris isn’t a game I particularly care for playing.

 

I only bother on one console mind - there’s no need to do it on every console.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have anything backed up on a drive currently, I have an external which I run shit off because 1TB isn't enough. Having games as back up to move to and from the Series is an inelegant as fuck solution for me, especially as mechanical drives have vastly inferior read/write speed. But it's a solution over downloading again. No matter how fast your internet is, downloading 100gb+ is longer than moving that 100gb to and from a drive.

 

My irritation is that mechanical drives are vastly inferior to SSDs and, for some reason someone will tell me soon hopefully, getting an external SSD isn't as cheap as I thought it would be at this point.

 

Still uhming about waiting for a series X/not bothering at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just game juggle. I’ve got a reasonably fast connection and don’t mind redownloading games. I’d rather spend the £70 on something else. 
 

I might get a cheap mechanical for next gen, but it won’t be an SSD. I can just move stuff to the main console when I want to play it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a fast connection and don't play multiple games at the same time anyway. When I'm finished with a game, I'll download another one. And a month or so later, whenever I finish that game, I'll uninstall it and download the next one. I don't see the need for having dozens of games installed at all times collecting digital dust in case I might want to try it sometime next year - 1TB is plenty for me :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marlew said:

https://www.whathifi.com/amp/news/xbox-series-x-runs-extremely-hot-according-to-early-reports

 

This is actually a bonus for me because the radiator needs bleeding in my gaming room and I can't be bothered. 

This is just the bollocks that was debunked a few pages ago though, same mistranslated sources and all. Can’t believe WhatHifi has let you down like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Fuck's sake. How do you bleed a radiator without destroying the new carpet 

 

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Get a bowl!

If you've also pre-ordered a PS5, you can save yourself the cost of buying a bowl and just use one if it's removable massive plastic fins instead. That should easily hold 5 radiators worth of water

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m expecting it to run warm/hot. No big deal to me as I value quiet over heat. I’ll be playing in a 1930s living room with 3 windows in the bay and no insulation so it’ll be welcome in the winter:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams. 1 month to go!
33 minutes ago, Marlew said:

https://www.whathifi.com/amp/news/xbox-series-x-runs-extremely-hot-according-to-early-reports

 

This is actually a bonus for me because the radiator needs bleeding in my gaming room and I can't be bothered. 


What Hi-Fi with their fingers on the pulse as ever, good to know they are as reliable reporting console news as they are reviewing  hi-fi and tellies.... are they promoting a £700 cooling mat to place the series x on to resolve this issue!?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I just game juggle. I’ve got a reasonably fast connection and don’t mind redownloading games. I’d rather spend the £70 on something else. 
 

I might get a cheap mechanical for next gen, but it won’t be an SSD. I can just move stuff to the main console when I want to play it. 

I think a 1TB SSD will suffice. I don't need the entirety of Game Pass downloaded. And the more I come invested in Game Pass (stop buying games), the less the need to have stuff "I own" local since most stuff will disappear from Game Pass at some point.

 

I have a 25mbit connection (renting AirBNB type apartment) and downloading a 100GB game takes about a night. So definitely see a point in saving some stuff locally.  

  

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I also have a fast connection and don't play multiple games at the same time anyway. When I'm finished with a game, I'll download another one. And a month or so later, whenever I finish that game, I'll uninstall it and download the next one. I don't see the need for having dozens of games installed at all times collecting digital dust in case I might want to try it sometime next year - 1TB is plenty for me

You can make that 800GB effective (rumored 664GB effective on PS5).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I think a 1TB SSD will suffice. I don't need the entirety of Game Pass downloaded. And the more I come invested in Game Pass (stop buying games), the less the need to have stuff "I own" local since most stuff will disappear from Game Pass at some point.

 

I think 1-2 TB HDD will probably work best for me. I probably won't be playing that many BC games and as you can't play Series S/X games from the SSD, the main advantage for me would be transfer times, which I'm not too fussed about. If I'm just sticking something on for an evening then I'm happy to deal with long loading times and can move it over to the internal if I'm going to be playing it longer term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think 1-2 TB HDD will probably work best for me. I probably won't be playing that many BC games and as you can't play Series S/X games from the SSD, the main advantage for me would be transfer times, which I'm not too fussed about. If I'm just sticking something on for an evening then I'm happy to deal with long loading times and can move it over to the internal if I'm going to be playing it longer term.

Valid point. In that case I would probably just opt for a 5TB HDD and be done with it. Probably around €80 during Black Friday or Prime Day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I don't have anything backed up on a drive currently, I have an external which I run shit off because 1TB isn't enough. Having games as back up to move to and from the Series is an inelegant as fuck solution for me, especially as mechanical drives have vastly inferior read/write speed. But it's a solution over downloading again. No matter how fast your internet is, downloading 100gb+ is longer than moving that 100gb to and from a drive.

 

My irritation is that mechanical drives are vastly inferior to SSDs and, for some reason someone will tell me soon hopefully, getting an external SSD isn't as cheap as I thought it would be at this point.

 

Still uhming about waiting for a series X/not bothering at all. 

I’m not really sure what else you expected. If they’d put in a bigger drive, the cost would have shot up. You can buy their proprietary storage, which is fast enough to run games but very expensive. You can buy an external SSD, which will have fast transfer but is pretty expensive. You can get a mechanical HDD which is pretty slow at transferring but cheap. Or you can redownload games which is free, but very slow.

 

Plenty of options, ranging from expensive to free. It’s all about how much value you put on it.

 

I’ve no idea why that would put you off getting the console to be honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m not really sure what else you expected. If they’d put in a bigger drive, the cost would have shot up. You can buy their proprietary storage, which is fast enough to run games but very expensive. You can buy an external SSD, which will have fast transfer but is pretty expensive. You can get a mechanical HDD which is pretty slow at transferring but cheap. Or you can redownload games which is free, but very slow.

 

Plenty of options, ranging from expensive to free. It’s all about how much value you put on it.

 

I’ve no idea why that would put you off getting the console to be honest.

 

Because it's one factor of many. Long story short was going for an S, 500gb SSD won't be enough, current external storage limited by speed, don't want to by an external SSD or an official expansion. Don't want to spend extra 200 quid on an X for the HDD space and 4k I'm not going to use. Basically buying an S to have the same load times as I have on a One X but with shinier graphics.

 

There's flaws in my logic, because I'm probably overstating the limited space on the 500gb SSD but you put destiny 2 and Modern Warfare on there and that's literally 200gb gone. Shiny Forza Horizon 4 will prolly be another 80gb. It all adds to having to move shit about and I can't be arsed.

 

 

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to tell those bloody kids to get off my lawn and shout at some clouds.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think @HarryBizzle has the best idea, for me at least. I was planning to transfer each game to the SSD when I wanted to play it, so the internal drive would effectively be my “playing now” pile and the external would be my pile of shame, but for giving stuff a quick blast it will be fine to play from the HD and not bother transferring it over. You only “have” to transfer things that you’re both playing a lot and finding the loading times slow, in which case set it copying over when you go to bed and the next day you can play it in fast-a-load mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Darren said:

I think @HarryBizzle has the best idea, for me at least. I was planning to transfer each game to the SSD when I wanted to play it, so the internal drive would effectively be my “playing now” pile and the external would be my pile of shame, but for giving stuff a quick blast it will be fine to play from the HD and not bother transferring it over. You only “have” to transfer things that you’re both playing a lot and finding the loading times slow, in which case set it copying over when you go to bed and the next day you can play it in fast-a-load mode.

 

I might be misinterpreting what you're suggesting but there will be games in the future where it will be mandated you run them from an SSD. Basically as soon we leave the cross-gen phase and get games released solely for Series S/X (first one in December with The Medium - you won't be able to run that from an external HD). 

 

You can still use a HD to back Series S/X games up but you won't be able to give them a quick blast from the HD and only transfer them to the SSD if you want them to load quicker. That will only work for back-compat games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.